follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2023, 09:45 AM   #127
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Potential dry-sump alternative:

I'm going to send an oil sample to Blackstone after two track events at right-hand intensive circuits (NMMP Lightning, Thompson (CT) Speedway). If bearing or other wear metal content is high, likely gonna get 2qt Accusump.
Have you done oil sampling before the accusump but the oil has seen track days?

Curious to know what was in it and curious to know what the baseline (no track days) is.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:08 AM   #128
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,324 Times in 7,382 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Potential dry-sump alternative:

I'm going to send an oil sample to Blackstone after two track events at right-hand intensive circuits (NMMP Lightning, Thompson (CT) Speedway). If bearing or other wear metal content is high, likely gonna get 2qt Accusump.
Just FYI.

You can piece together a lot of the parts you need for the install on amazon vs. buying some of the actual Canton parts. They want $155 for the manual cable to actuate the valve. I need to make a couple brackets but I am like $40 bucks into my cable setup. I also just bought bulk AN line and fittings off summit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vs

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...able-kit-6-foo
ZDan (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #129
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Just FYI.

You can piece together a lot of the parts you need for the install on amazon vs. buying some of the actual Canton parts. They want $155 for the manual cable to actuate the valve. I need to make a couple brackets but I am like $40 bucks into my cable setup. I also just bought bulk AN line and fittings off summit.
This is the same discussion as oil coolers - you can get individual parts for half the price of ready made kits, but then you're on the hook for futzing around with putting fittings on lines, measuring correct line length, getting that one piece you forgot to order (or didn't realize you needed), etc. Some people might prefer the monetary saving. Some people might prefer the ease of installation of a ready made kit.
After being on both sides of this dilemma, my rule of thumb is that it will probably cost me more to do this on my own than getting a ready made kit. It only starts to make sense to roll my own if making/doing more than one item/kit/work. I apply this logic to most of my DIY decisions (refreshing interior doors - one door gets replaced; 10 doors get patched and painted).
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:21 AM   #130
BioRebel

Drives: Mini Cooper S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Have you done oil sampling before the accusump but the oil has seen track days?

Curious to know what was in it and curious to know what the baseline (no track days) is.
FWIW here's my report after 2 hours @ NJMP and 1 hour @ Lime Rock.
Forgot to send off a sample of the prior batch but that was the batch the dealership put in after break-in
Attached Images

BioRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BioRebel For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (07-27-2023), DarkSunrise (07-29-2023), DocWalt (07-26-2023), Frost (07-26-2023), nissanfanatic (07-26-2023), Petah78 (07-26-2023), ZDan (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 11:57 AM   #131
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
This is the same discussion as oil coolers - you can get individual parts for half the price of ready made kits, but then you're on the hook for futzing around with putting fittings on lines, measuring correct line length, getting that one piece you forgot to order (or didn't realize you needed), etc. Some people might prefer the monetary saving. Some people might prefer the ease of installation of a ready made kit.
After being on both sides of this dilemma, my rule of thumb is that it will probably cost me more to do this on my own than getting a ready made kit. It only starts to make sense to roll my own if making/doing more than one item/kit/work. I apply this logic to most of my DIY decisions (refreshing interior doors - one door gets replaced; 10 doors get patched and painted).
Yeah, I'm on the fence as well on this approach. Suuuuure, you can save money but only if you know what you're doing and/or have the time to spend on figuring out stuff.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 07-26-2023, 05:06 PM   #132
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
I'm not sure it's necessary. You can extrapolate the data from the existing race logs - they have more right turns than "problem" right turns, and the lateral forces build and wane in each corner so you can get a pretty clear idea of just how much cornering force is necessary to produce the oil pressure drops.

We also don't see those drops on anything short of a hot lap, which to me says that spirited public road driving isn't going to be a problem because that's pretty on-par with warm-up lap driving.

Finally, at least one of the people doing the tests say that the only conditions they see the pressure drop dangerously is track driving. If they're lying about that, none of the rest of what they're saying is worth looking at and the new data you want would be suspect.
Another thing is, according to the presented data, first gen cars also have this "oil starvation issue" in right hand corners, just a little less pronounced. I'd argue that the difference is pressure drops is negligible between 2 gens. Yet there are people who regularly track their cars and some of them even participating in racing series with heavily prepped cars l for several years without any engine issues.
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 12:42 AM   #133
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
https://www.enginelabs.com/news/what...l-viscosities/
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 12:23 PM   #134
dsc_pat

Drives: Too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post

what are our clearances ?
dsc_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:08 PM   #135
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc_pat View Post
what are our clearances ?
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143719

This is referring to gen1, need to confirm gen2 service numbers
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #136
brianbot5000

Drives: White WRX Hatchback, Toyota Pickup
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post
Still want data for the spirited canyon/mountain public road people....
"
A video posted on reddit yesterday….

https://www.reddit.com/r/GR86/commen...t=2&utm_term=1
brianbot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianbot5000 For This Useful Post:
Frost (08-01-2023), ZDan (08-03-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:05 PM   #137
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbot5000 View Post
A video posted on reddit yesterday….

https://www.reddit.com/r/GR86/commen...t=2&utm_term=1
Hey it's me! Thanks, haven't gotten around to posting that here

edit: here is a YouTube friendly version : Oil pressure logged in canyon drive
Old 08-02-2023, 04:42 PM   #138
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
FYI folks, in case you didn't know, the founder of KillerB passed away:

https://www.facebook.com/killerbmoto...MoLiBkjiY3iyBl

"It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of our company's founder, Chris Bergeron at the age of 51. On Thursday evening, with his beloved wife by his side, Chris was released of his suffering at the Shenandoah Hospice House in Fishersville.

Sixteen years ago Chris started Killer B Motorsport in his Garage with one product and a passion for performance.

As an engineer Chris was obsessed with perfecting the details. He designed, tested, revised, and repeated tirelessly before he would release a product to the community that he supported. He always looked at a problem without any preconceived notion of how it should be fixed. This enabled Chris to create solutions that were simple and unique.

As a boss Chris was encouraging. You needed that encouragement because he set the bar high. He had a way of getting the best from you, and you wouldn't realize his influence until after you achieved the goal.

As a person Chris cared for others. He was generous with his time and knowledge. You would often find Chris on the phone with customers answering questions about parts that we didn't even make. He scanned the Subaru forums first thing every morning looking for people to help. He loved the Subaru community.

As a husband and father Chris was devoted and loyal. He loved his wife Hollie, often boasting about her intellect and quick wit. Chris was proud of his two daughters. Meagan for her academic accomplishments. Madilyn for her entrepreneurial spirit. There are more reasons; too many to list.

As a son Chris was blessed with two loving parents that survive him. His father Peter is the man who never sits. You can find him at Killer B Motorsport any day of the week working to further his son's cause. His mother Joyce is a sweet, understanding woman who encouraged Chris to strive for greatness and to be grateful.

Finally, as a friend, Chris was like no other. He was slow to anger, and quick with a joke. He listened, but didn't judge. He helped, and expected nothing in return. Chris was genuine, and always wanted to lift up the people around him. He shared his knowledge with patience. Your secrets were safe with Chris, with the exception of his wife. I'm sure she knows things about me that no one should. Chris was friend to many. Chris was my friend for 26 years. He was a better friend than I deserved and I am grateful for every moment we had. Thank you Chris. You will be missed."

https://www.charltonandgroomefuneral...79rptomD6nkZW4

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (08-03-2023), DarkPira7e (08-02-2023), DarkSunrise (08-11-2023), Tatsu333 (09-09-2023), ZDan (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 05:43 PM   #139
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Sad news. May he rest in peace, and may his family find themselves surrounded by peace and love during this very difficult time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 06:26 PM   #140
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Damn, that's too bad. I wish their family well, KillerB is a really well run company, he must've been something incredible.