follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Racing shoes for wide feet?

Sorry if this has already been discussed (I did try searching first), I'm wondering what other folks with wide feet (I'm 10.5 and about EE to EEE) are wearing for racing shoes?

So far my google hunting has only really turned potentially the Sparco Race shoes as having a "wider toe box":

I'd love to grab a pair of Pumas, but they're notoriously narrow.

Thanks.
Namuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,826 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Blue ones ..... why do you ask .. ??
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (02-24-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
993Fan

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
IMO, you're actually better off with wider shoes in this car - normal "driving shoes" are too narrow for the pedal setup in the twins.
993Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #4

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Adidas are known for having some wider shoes - although I don't know much about specific racing shoes. Do some indoor futbol shoes work? They have very thin, grippy bottoms.

http://www.soccer.com/shop/footwear/futsal-shoes/

http://www.soccer.com/shop/footwear/indoor-shoes/
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
buzznasa
LOL PWR

Drives: Whiteout FR-S; Scion tC
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
I have the same problem. 10.5 EE. Makes finding shoes difficult. For now I use a pair of Sketchers that are fairly flexible. On the plus side, Heel-Toe isn't difficult when I can just roll my foot over to the accelerator without a lot of leg movement.

It's not a midlife crisis if you never grow up.
buzznasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
almedarj

Drives: 2013 FR-S White out
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The puma drift cat is a nice choice
Guff (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
almedarj

Drives: 2013 FR-S White out
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.shop.puma.com/men/shoes/m...,en_US,sc.html
Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
Sorry if this has already been discussed (I did try searching first), I'm wondering what other folks with wide feet (I'm 10.5 and about EE to EEE) are wearing for racing shoes?

So far my google hunting has only really turned potentially the Sparco Race shoes as having a "wider toe box":
I have a pair of older Sparco Race, and they're great. I need a wider shoe as my right foot is ... "wider" than normal due to a birth defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993Fan View Post
IMO, you're actually better off with wider shoes in this car - normal "driving shoes" are too narrow for the pedal setup in the twins.
Not at all, I prefer normal driving shoes as it allows better heel/toe downshifts.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 AM   #9
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This place has good deals on New Balance that specializes in width sizing from 2A all the way to 6E. A stiffer construction that includes their Stability Web helps offset sole flex in the wider widths. They aren't car racing specific (not flame resistant) but look for a lower drop, less cushioning (thinner sole and heel) and you'll be close to what you want for effective heel/toe.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/cat_mens_shoes.htm
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #10
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Forget the Puma driving shoes, I have 2 pairs of the speed cats and ever since I got a pair of the Puma Baskets, I haven't worn the speed cats. I find it easier to heel toe, and the shoes are more comfortable to walk in, since they are wider.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm very curious about this as well. It's incredibly hard for me to find comfortable shoes as is due to how wide my feet are. The last pair of shoes that I bought was a pair of Nike's that said "wide" on the box, but I had to buy them 1 1/2 sizes bigger than what actually fit my feet length-wise so that they would fit (comfortably) width-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almedarj View Post
The puma drift cat is a nice choice
Everyone seems to be clamoring over the Puma Cats (Future, Speed, Drift), but literally no shops within a 50 mile radius to my house seem to carry them, so I can't even find a place to try them on to see if they would be comfortable or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post

So far my google hunting has only really turned potentially the Sparco Race shoes as having a "wider toe box"

I'd love to grab a pair of Pumas, but they're notoriously narrow.

Thanks.
Are the Sparco Race shoes capable of being a daily shoe, and does the "extra cushioned sole for greater comfort and additional comfort cell on the ball of the foot to help reduce shock and vibration" worsen the heel-toe feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
Forget the Puma driving shoes, I have 2 pairs of the speed cats and ever since I got a pair of the Puma Baskets, I haven't worn the speed cats. I find it easier to heel toe, and the shoes are more comfortable to walk in, since they are wider.
How thin or thick are the soles on these? I'd really like a pair of thin-sole'd shoes that give more feel from the pedals, but I'm willing to make some compromises for width/comfort.

EDIT: Also, found this for anyone else who may be interested... http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tested-feature
Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
How thin or thick are the soles on these? I'd really like a pair of thin-sole'd shoes that give more feel from the pedals, but I'm willing to make some compromises for width/comfort.
The sole gets thinner going towards the toe. They aren't as thin as the soles on the speedcats, but to be honest, the feedback I get from the pedals is just as good, in the toe area. You don't feel it as much in the heel when you heel/toe, but that didn't take long to get used to.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
SixthElement

Drives: 2013 black limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznasa View Post
I have the same problem. 10.5 EE. Makes finding shoes difficult. For now I use a pair of Sketchers that are fairly flexible. On the plus side, Heel-Toe isn't difficult when I can just roll my foot over to the accelerator without a lot of leg movement.
This is what I typically do as well but I noticed it is much harder in this car and sometimes my for slips of the brake, which is totally not cool.
SixthElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
The sole gets thinner going towards the toe. They aren't as thin as the soles on the speedcats, but to be honest, the feedback I get from the pedals is just as good, in the toe area. You don't feel it as much in the heel when you heel/toe, but that didn't take long to get used to.
I think I'm gonna try these out. I appreciate the feedback.

Any idea how the sizes on these (or Puma's in general) run in comparison to say, Nike's? I ask because not all shoes of the same size are the same size.

What I mean is, a 10 in Nike's is the same length as an 8 in other shoes I've worn. My Nike's right now are an 11.5 and they are 1 to 1 1/2 inches too long for my foot, which sucks pretty bad for my pedal feel atm.

If you can't answer this question, it's cool. I'll stop by Finish Line tomorrow and try on the only pair of Puma's they have (Slipstreams) to try and get an idea of what size Basket's I'd need to order.

Also, same goes for the Sparco's... any idea how these size up?