follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2022, 04:49 AM   #1
Dyniek

Drives: Toyota GT86 TRD '19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation One wheel won’t rotate!

So I have a GT86 TRD '19 (so brembo brakes) and I haven’t been driving for around a week. Yesterday when I started the car, I tried to go forward and I felt a lot of resistance (I had this situation once, when it felt like brakes just stuck to discs, but then I just added a little more gas, and the car went forward, there was a hearable subtle crack and the problem was nowhere to be seen). So I tried to do the same, added a little bit gas, and I heard thie same sound, but the car still wouldn’t move without resistance. Turns out, my front right wheel still won’t rotate, so it would just slide on surface (I have a little bit of dirt on my driveway).

I tried applying brakes a couple of times, I tried going back and forth and nothing.

I read online that it might be due to corrosion and after checking my brake discs, they’re pretty rusty (car wasn’t moved for a week).

Is this normal? My friends never had this with other cars like BMW and Mercedes.
How do I proceed now to free my car?
How do I prevent this situation in future?
Dyniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Normal, try not to wash the car the park it. (I do that all the time and they stick)

Need to find some ground with more traction it will break loose. To prevent it, keep the brakes from getting wet when storing.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
The Red One (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Normal, try not to wash the car the park it. (I do that all the time and they stick)

Need to find some ground with more traction it will break loose. To prevent it, keep the brakes from getting wet when storing.

It could also be due to the pad compound. Some pads are just much more prone to this with the worst I've experienced being the Stoptech 309s. They were so bad that it can be completely dry out and I use the e-brake to stop the car instead of my brakes but they'll still seize.
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SCFD For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 06:37 AM   #4
Dyniek

Drives: Toyota GT86 TRD '19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I cleaned my driveway, and it immediately got traction and broke loose. Thanks!
Any way to keep my discs dry/rust free when keeping car outside?
Dyniek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dyniek For This Useful Post:
The Red One (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyniek View Post
I cleaned my driveway, and it immediately got traction and broke loose. Thanks!
Car cover.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #6
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I learnt my lesson 20 years ago when storing cars over the winter months.
After 4 months of storage my wheels were much stuck as you describe.
I had deducted it was from washing the car before storage and had got the brakes wet and rolling the car into the garage was not enough to dry them off.
A bit of driving once unstuck got the rust off.

Im so obsessed with that now that I will roll down my driveway just to dry off the disks and warm up things if I know I wont be using it for a few days after a wash.

I will even nudge the sleeping BRZ over the winter just to make sure it’s not happening.
My all year driver does not seem to be affected with seized disks (only has 2..) or anything besides collecting tree sap after staying out immobile for weeks at a time.

If you store it outside try to keep it out of the wind when it rains.

I had an unscrupulous Subaru dealer out west that wanted to do a brake service on the then new BRZ after I had left it overnight in the rain and pressure washed by my Brother in law after a long cross country trip… Had an appointment the following morning for an oil change, Dealer said that the disk surfaces needed resurfacing due to the car having been immobile for so long…
Attached Images

The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (01-06-2023)
Old 12-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The rotors get surface rust very quickly.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:32 PM   #8
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyniek View Post
Not really, other than minimizing how long the car sits in between drives so that the pads can clean the surfaces off before it gets excessive. The car is exposed to the elements, so the only way to minimize corrosion on the rotors would be some sort of enclosed storage space. If there's any decent amount of moisture in the air or it outright rains, you're going to end up with corrosion on the rotor faces while the car sits outside. Let it continue to sit after that and it's just going to get worse.

As a matter of fact, I drove my car last night, maybe 16 hours ago, and it is raining today, has been for at least 8 hours. I guarantee when I go out to the car there will be little rust spots on my rotors. It's just a thing that happens.

Someone mentioned a car cover. That may help out, but again, depending on how long the car is sitting in between drives, you're going to get some accumulation of rust on the rotor surface.