follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Condensation under hood?

I noticed a few mornings ago that there was condensation on the underside of the hood. It has been cold but no rain. At first i didnt really think anything of it but today it has condensation on there again. Some water was on my intercooler and pipes.

Is the condensation normal? Im most likely gonna just ignore this since theres no problems with it other than some of the engine bay is a little wet
Attached Images

airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, my 2013 FR-S doesn't do that.

Have you checked for any cooling system leaks?

Do you park outside or is it garaged?
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Maybe check your intercooler piping ( inside) to see if it is wet. If the blow-off valve is pointed upwards, it could be releasing vapor (indicating that something is wrong, you shouldn't have that much vapor in your piping!)

It's probably nothing, but probably is why you're asking, so I'd keep wondering until you can rule out anything serious
Old 01-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, my 2013 FR-S doesn't do that.

Have you checked for any cooling system leaks?

Do you park outside or is it garaged?
Its parked outside. I never had any overheating issues or anything like that. Last time i checked the fluid levels was like 2 years ago. But I did recently just add some fluid when i noticed the reservoir was near the low level. Been a few days since then and its near that low mark again. maybe there is a leak somewhere.

whats the best way to check for cooling system leaks? i usually just park it on a flat surface overnight and check the next day but its raining alot so yea gotta wait for that to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Maybe check your intercooler piping ( inside) to see if it is wet. If the blow-off valve is pointed upwards, it could be releasing vapor (indicating that something is wrong, you shouldn't have that much vapor in your piping!)

It's probably nothing, but probably is why you're asking, so I'd keep wondering until you can rule out anything serious
The car has had some boost trouble lately but i have solved that i think.(EBCS broke) So the intercooler pipes have been taken off and on and off and on. All dry inside. This kit doesnt have a blow-off valve, it has a diverter/recirc valve. And it is not facing upward, its horizontal.

Ill update later when it stops raining to see if its gone.

Last edited by airrick; 01-28-2021 at 07:26 AM. Reason: info
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to airrick For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-28-2021), humfrz (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airrick View Post
Its parked outside. I never had any overheating issues or anything like that. Last time i checked the fluid levels was like 2 years ago. But I did recently just add some fluid when i noticed the reservoir was near the low level. Been a few days since then and its near that low mark again. maybe there is a leak somewhere.

whats the best way to check for cooling system leaks? i usually just park it on a flat surface overnight and check the next day but its raining alot so yea gotta wait for that to stop.

The car has had some boost trouble lately but i have solved that i think.(EBCS broke) So the intercooler pipes have been taken off and on and off and on. All dry inside. This kit doesnt have a blow-off valve, it has a diverter/recirc valve. And it is not facing upward, its horizontal.

Ill update later when it stops raining to see if its gone.
Well, maybe it's not unusual for condensation to form under the hood after it's hot and cools down, when the moisture in the air is high? Others may wish to comment.

As far as detecting a cooling system leak, the only way I know is to "look and see".
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote