follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2018, 03:43 AM   #1191
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Actually the last time I checked the FoRS head gasket issue is not solvable due to a design flaw, they just have to keep replacing it repeatedly.

As for the STI ringland issue it happens even with fully stock cars, and getting a tune actually mitigates it. Forged pistons with a tune would fully fix this.

I still wouldn't buy a Mk7 Golf as the engines are not equipped with port injection in North America unlike the RoW models with dual injection.

That leaves the Civic Type R but I would rather drive a stock EF or EG Civic Si instead.

I guess the revised ND Miata is the answer.
Yep. I was more responding to wbdradley defending that the STI was a spartan sport sedan at that price which shouldn't be the case with cars the same price and faster being better equipped.

Not to mention the fact it's engine is literally being pushed to fit into emissions regulations with it's leaned out tune
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:51 AM   #1192
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I was referring more to the style and interior appearance. Even that was more in a joking manner than anything.
If the mechanicals still do the job why change for the sake of change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It doesn't do the job any more, they barely pass emissions and the gas mileage is getting so low it is nearing gas guzzler status. The best tune is actually the aftermarket one, because they don't have to worry about federal regulations and can make it safer and smoother.

They've literally upgraded everything at this point besides the engine. Only thing I can think is they are going to ditch the 2.5 and give us a 2.0 with some sort of hybrid battery pack for torque in the next gen and don't want to change anything big now. They've stopped selling it totally in some other markets.

This. It actually doesn't do the job anymore, the fact the tune is so leaned out at this point and the piston design ihasn't been changed is the reason ringland failure is a thing when someone mods lightly without a tune or continually pushes the STI. Also it's gas mileage compared to it's competitors is abysmal. It did really well in car and drivers highway mpg testing but it's city driving testing was bad.

I have the sinking suspicion when this car gets the FA24 it will dominate, but right now, the engine is lacking tech wise.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 06-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #1193
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Actually the last time I checked the FoRS head gasket issue is not solvable due to a design flaw, they just have to keep replacing it repeatedly.

As for the STI ringland issue it happens even with fully stock cars, and getting a tune actually mitigates it. Forged pistons with a tune would fully fix this.

I still wouldn't buy a Mk7 Golf as the engines are not equipped with port injection in North America unlike the RoW models with dual injection.

That leaves the Civic Type R but I would rather drive a stock EF or EG Civic Si instead.

I guess the revised ND Miata is the answer.

STI issue is north american only since you kind only get the forge internal EJ20 outside the US market............or you can get the hotcake of the year 2018 STI type RA.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:40 AM   #1194
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It doesn't do the job any more, they barely pass emissions and the gas mileage is getting so low it is nearing gas guzzler status. The best tune is actually the aftermarket one, because they don't have to worry about federal regulations and can make it safer and smoother.

They've literally upgraded everything at this point besides the engine. Only thing I can think is they are going to ditch the 2.5 and give us a 2.0 with some sort of hybrid battery pack for torque in the next gen and don't want to change anything big now. They've stopped selling it totally in some other markets.
Yes I think Subaru if not already seriously need to invest heavily on making a replacement engine for the WRX STI as they've already spent enough on improving handling. I wonder if they are having a lot of trouble breaking 300hp reliably with their 3rd gen Boxer engines that the overseas offices have no idea how to market lesser specs on paper.

Over the last few years Subaru have seemed to be prepping their customers on changing their direction from hardcore motorsports to comfort and luxury as the STI logo is even slowly changing color from pink to red. Maybe this is all done just in case they couldn't make a proper replacement for the WRX STI, making plans for its eventual death.

Whereas over at Mazda, their Skyactiv technology seems to have a lot of potential and a lot brighter future.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #1195
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes I think Subaru if not already seriously need to invest heavily on making a replacement engine for the WRX STI as they've already spent enough on improving handling. I wonder if they are having a lot of trouble breaking 300hp reliably with their 3rd gen Boxer engines that the overseas offices have no idea how to market lesser specs on paper.

Over the last few years Subaru have seemed to be prepping their customers on changing their direction from hardcore motorsports to comfort and luxury as the STI logo is even slowly changing color from pink to red. Maybe this is all done just in case they couldn't make a proper replacement for the WRX STI, making plans for its eventual death.

Whereas over at Mazda, their Skyactiv technology seems to have a lot of potential and a lot brighter future.

Subaru do have the FA20 DIT in Levorg tune to the same output as STI @ exactly 300hp 300 tq......but that thing isn't exactly a racy engine with a 6k redline... max hp @ 5.5k peak torque 2k-4.8k.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #1196
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Subaru do have the FA20 DIT in Levorg tune to the same output as STI @ exactly 300hp 300 tq......but that thing isn't exactly a racy engine with a 6k redline... max hp @ 5.5k peak torque 2k-4.8k.
Quote:

The FA24 is definitely the motor they'd be looking at, it's so obvious it's undertuned for the subaru ascent.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #1197
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
The FA24 is definitely the motor they'd be looking at, it's so obvious it's undertuned for the subaru ascent.
I'd be thrilled if the BRZ had a 270-300hp FA24 turbo but I doubt it will. I expect it to be NA for reasons of liability, weight, and so it doesn't encroach on STI sales. But mostly cost. It would ascend to a different class. The Supra will have 335hp and slots right between the Cayman and Cayman S in cost and power. I can't imagine the BRZ being close to a Cayman in power/weight/handling/performance and not costing at least $40k (still undercutting the Cayman by a significant $15k).

But hallelujah if it does. Even if it's $40k I'd take one in manual in a heartbeat over an auto Supra and save a ton.

Last edited by switchlanez; 06-23-2018 at 11:58 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
Vic4uf (06-23-2018), zigzagz94 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #1198
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I'd be thrilled if the BRZ had a 270-300hp FA24 turbo but I doubt it will. I expect it to be NA for reasons of liability, weight, and so it doesn't encroach on STI sales. But mostly cost. It would ascend to a different class. The Supra will have 335hp and slots right between the Cayman and Cayman S in cost and power. I can't imagine the BRZ being close to a Cayman in power/weight/handling/performance and not costing at least $40k (still undercutting the Cayman by a significant $15k).

But hallelujah if it does. Even if it's $40k I'd take one in manual in a heartbeat over an auto Supra and save a ton.

I was referring to the engine they are going to put into the future STI
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #1199
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Subaru goes to one engine for the whole lineup, the 2.4 turbo. Hear me out on this. A turbo 2.4 will have better real life fuel economy than a smaller turbo motor that makes the same power. They can vary the turbo size from a small one on the ~200hp version to essentially add a bit of torque, to a large one on the STI for 350ish HP. This would greatly streamline their engine manufactuting, and cut development cost accross all models. All they would need to do for a particular model is tweak the redline and size the turbo appropriately. 2.4 turbo for all Subarus!
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
why? (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #1200
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
LOL
The Miata gets it's first real HP bump in decades and that leads to speculation of 300 hp Twins and 350 hp STIs?
Only on ft86club.
Entroper (07-24-2018), funwheeldrive (06-24-2018), Spuds (06-24-2018), why? (06-24-2018), Yoshoobaroo (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #1201
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL
The Miata gets it's first real HP bump in decades and that leads to speculation of 300 hp Twins and 350 hp STIs?
Only on ft86club.

We've become exceedingly efficient at derailing threads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (06-24-2018), why? (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #1202
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Subaru goes to one engine for the whole lineup, the 2.4 turbo. Hear me out on this. A turbo 2.4 will have better real life fuel economy than a smaller turbo motor that makes the same power. They can vary the turbo size from a small one on the ~200hp version to essentially add a bit of torque, to a large one on the STI for 350ish HP. This would greatly streamline their engine manufactuting, and cut development cost accross all models. All they would need to do for a particular model is tweak the redline and size the turbo appropriately. 2.4 turbo for all Subarus!
Turbo twin is never going to happen.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #1203
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
never say never. It will not happen this gen, but who knows what the future holds.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #1204
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Why do you say that? Tada San only said that it would require a new platform.

Quote:
never say never. It will not happen this gen, but who knows what the future holds.
Exactly.