follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Jeffboyarrdee

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz limited wr blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Looks good! I just got some Matte Black 3M Vinyl to wrap my roof. I'm going to have to paint my shark fin though...

Do you have any shots of the car further back so I can see the whole thing at once?

Thanks!! Looking good...

Jeffboyarrdee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffboyarrdee For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (03-03-2013), MightyMeeple (03-03-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Jeffboyarrdee

I'm having trouble with lowering spring or coilover options. I want to eventually put rays Gramlight xtremes 18x8.5 offset +45. I will do occasional auto crossing, but wondering if you guys think lowering springs are fine, but I think coilovers would be best because of the adjustability. But what should I get?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
mrdanyo

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (World Rally Blue)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffboyarrdee View Post
Thanks! @switchlanez . Your car is on my list of favorites! now deciding on some suspension and some black wheels!

The wrap was actually a gloss black not a CF wrap. the texture of our mustaches creates that look though. I decided to go with the gloss black since my CF lip is also gloss. So i wanted to see if i can get the mustache to pop or match the "gloss" look of the car. Actually, what inspired me to want to try to get the mustache wrapped is the GTR though i know it has a different mustache altogether.

I aso wanted to get the rear diffuser wrapped as well, and would look pretty cool in my mind, but for now holding off, it seems that the vendor i use would have a hard time due to its shape and all the bends.
So that's not actually CF vinyl? Well that's a surprise!
I don't currently own a BRZ (very soon though!) so I'm not exactly sure what the texture is like on the mustache to give it that CF effect with a gloss black wrap. Did you use the same gloss black wrap as your roof? I'd love to know where you got your wraps and which specific ones you got because I want to do something almost very similar with my roof/mustache.
mrdanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
Jeffboyarrdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdanyo View Post
So that's not actually CF vinyl? Well that's a surprise!
I don't currently own a BRZ (very soon though!) so I'm not exactly sure what the texture is like on the mustache to give it that CF effect with a gloss black wrap. Did you use the same gloss black wrap as your roof? I'd love to know where you got your wraps and which specific ones you got because I want to do something almost very similar with my roof/mustache.
Hi mrdanyo! Thanks for the compliments! Yeah so the wrap on my mustache is the same gloss black 3M vinyl as the roof. I don't have a model number for the vinyl but I can get that info if you want. Once you get a brz you'll see that the mustache is textured. The texture is what pops through the gloss black vinyl. This is what may appear to give it a carbon fiber look, but it actually isnt at all. I didn't put the carbon vinyl because the option wasn't "gloss" I didn't want to put a matte dry look on the already dry plastic look of the mustache, so that was the point in going gloss. I'll try to find out what the model number of the gloss black is, I got it done by someone else.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
mrdanyo

Quote:
Hi mrdanyo! Thanks for the compliments! Yeah so the wrap on my mustache is the same gloss black 3M vinyl as the roof. I don't have a model number for the vinyl but I can get that info if you want. Once you get a brz you'll see that the mustache is textured. The texture is what pops through the gloss black vinyl. This is what may appear to give it a carbon fiber look, but it actually isnt at all. I didn't put the carbon vinyl because the option wasn't "gloss" I didn't want to put a matte dry look on the already dry plastic look of the mustache, so that was the point in going gloss. I'll try to find out what the model number of the gloss black is, I got it done by someone else.
That would be the exact same reason why I'd be hesitant to putting a CF wrap around it, because I would rather have the glossy finish.

If you could find out for me, that would be awesome!
I really mean it when I say that your WRB is one of my favourites, and I've been lurking these boards for quite some time now. :P
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #20
Jeffboyarrdee

Hi all,

This weekend I installed my Ultimate Strut Tower bars from Password JDM. I love them. Took the car up and down some switchbacks on kings mountain road last Saturday down near halfmoon bay. Sorry for the iPad pictures. I'm visiting home in NorCal and don't have a good camera.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #21
mackeye

Drives: BRZ Pearl White Satin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You car looks tight but in my opinion you still need black rims and it will look perfect
mackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #22
Jeffboyarrdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeye View Post
You car looks tight but in my opinion you still need black rims and it will look perfect
Haha it's on my list! I'm saving up for coilovers and wheels. So stay tuned! And an exhaust! I will be considering Gramlight xtremes or wedssports. Haven't figured out what size I want either.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
mrdanyo

You can plastidip for a couple of bucks in the meantime. Low cost, high value. :P
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdanyo For This Useful Post:
Jeffboyarrdee (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Sexy looking build! I am so jealous of everyone with car colours that can be easily accented or given contrasting parts. With my asphalt I have no idea what to do!! I would have to be dramatic. Bronze carbon fibre everywhere!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #25
Jeffboyarrdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Sexy looking build! I am so jealous of everyone with car colours that can be easily accented or given contrasting parts. With my asphalt I have no idea what to do!! I would have to be dramatic. Bronze carbon fibre everywhere!
I like your car though, you have nice performance mods. I like your lights especially. If I had an FRS I would have done the same right away. But yeah with a dark colored car, it's hard to contrast, maybe the wheels if you wanted to pop haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffboyarrdee For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #26
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
OMG! It looks so good.
I also consider the same thing and post the question here.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30506
And the people told me this idea will not work ><
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...42&postcount=3

Quote:
i had wrapped my roof gloss black and also was curious to wrap my brz front mustache! turns out i like both, but i really like the wrapped mustache. it has a nice gloss look and the texture of the mustache comes through. i have a feeling this may not be for everyone, but i like it a lot!

cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cslntuee For This Useful Post:
Jeffboyarrdee (04-03-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #27
Jeffboyarrdee

Just wanted to post more pics of my overlays, close up. and also a better picture of my strut bars. hope yall enjoy!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
Euro

Drives: BRZ in Europe the socalled "Sport"
Jeff your car looks amazing!

Now you've had it for a while, so I'm wondering, has the vinyl wrap on your BRZ black plastic moustache held up?

As noted above for someone else, I too have heard that textured plastic surfaces won't hold vinyl. I really want to do what you have done.

Do you know how they prepared it, or any tips I can give to the shop here to convince them that it will work?

Would really appreciate your advice.

(Thx,this is my first post here)
Euro is offline   Reply With Quote