follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
max20s14

Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone driven a model 3 yet?

How does it compare?
max20s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I got lucky and have a friend who rents the entire Tesla line as a business.

Before I ever got in a tesla I was 100% convinced that I had no desire to even try battery tech. After having driven everything from a base model 3 to the model x in ludicrous mode, I'm really hoping that more manufacturers of battery vehicles can catch up to the conveniences of Tesla. They might not have 100% fit and finish down but good lord are they fun cars to drive.

I will say if you haven't driven one, you definitely should. Start and the 3 then try the S and then the X. I went the other way and by the time I got to the 3, I felt like I was in a peasant model LOL

It's easy to see why people are hooked on tesla once you've driven one and used the card key and the auto keys and played with the model x's auto opening doors.

I took plenty of pictures while driving them around Tampa and Vegas lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
max20s14 (05-07-2020), p1l0t (05-07-2020), Tcoat (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
I got lucky and have a friend who rents the entire Tesla line as a business.

Before I ever got in a tesla I was 100% convinced that I had no desire to even try battery tech. After having driven everything from a base model 3 to the model x in ludicrous mode, I'm really hoping that more manufacturers of battery vehicles can catch up to the conveniences of Tesla. They might not have 100% fit and finish down but good lord are they fun cars to drive.

I will say if you haven't driven one, you definitely should. Start and the 3 then try the S and then the X. I went the other way and by the time I got to the 3, I felt like I was in a peasant model LOL

It's easy to see why people are hooked on tesla once you've driven one and used the card key and the auto keys and played with the model x's auto opening doors.

I took plenty of pictures while driving them around Tampa and Vegas lol

I'm looking that up next time I go for sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
max20s14 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
max20s14

Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
awesome pics. How would you say the model 3 compares fun wise to the FRS/BRZ?
max20s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
Wally86
Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by max20s14 View Post
awesome pics. How would you say the model 3 compares fun wise to the FRS/BRZ?
I've only had the 86 for 27 days but I'm not sure many cars can compare to the feel you get from the toyobaru suspension. The model 3 is a non-airbagged tesla but it definitely doesn't have the same type of chassis dynamics. For people who just want to go fast in a straight line (or drive on the highway with no hands, it's so good), I think the model 3 will give them their fix. Weight wise, even though the batteries are below you for center of gravity, it still feels like a pig when driving.

It's not built to be a sports car and I think people only make that comparison because of the instant torque. Personally, handling wise, it's not on the same level as a stock 86.

(All my opinion of course!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sound is the key. What makes the twins so great is high rpm sound without killing yourself on local roads. Most car enthusiasts enjoy that sound. I drive my WRX and literally can’t get to high rpms on local roads without serious irresponsible speeds. So I go faster with my WRX but the BRZ is more fun and a more engaging experience. Once you get over the instant torque, the model 3 is just a comfortable sedan. Don’t get me wrong they are fun and if you have a stressful commute they could do a lot to make it better (quiet and comfortable). For me I want both. For a leisure weekend trip with the family the Tesla does it best other than distance limits. But for a car guy you need handling, which the Twins have. Look up some of the hot rod guys putting Tesla motors in vintage sports cars. Still give up sound but I would love one of them. Instant torque is fun.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I watched that Top Gear clip of Chris Harris flogging a Model 3 on the track against an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, some kind of AMG, maybe an M BMW, and although it did beat them all, I could see it was all solely down to that immense ability to squirt quickly out of corners once the nose was pointing straight. The act of cornering itself in a Model 3 just looked like something doing what it wasn't designed to do. It looked awkward and aloof. I suspect the straight line rush is the only trick for that pony, and to be honest, reading your review of it, there isn't a single thing I liked on that list of perks and features. I would be super embarrassed to open the gullwing doors on the X. It's a minivan looking thing with gullwing doors....Imagine putting lambo doors on a Chrysler Pacifica. The Model S is a properly good-looking car and apparently it handles well. The Porsche Taycan looks good and handles even better plus it's designed by the existing automotive establishment, which creates a sense of familiarity. I wouldn't mind getting an EV to go around town and to work, to be honest. But so far there are no good looking ones available that are affordable (and yes, that includes the Model 3), and all good looking ones are too expensive.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
Wally86
Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
I watched that Top Gear clip of Chris Harris flogging a Model 3 on the track against an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, some kind of AMG, maybe an M BMW, and although it did beat them all, I could see it was all solely down to that immense ability to squirt quickly out of corners once the nose was pointing straight. The act of cornering itself in a Model 3 just looked like something doing what it wasn't designed to do. It looked awkward and aloof. I suspect the straight line rush is the only trick for that pony, and to be honest, reading your review of it, there isn't a single thing I liked on that list of perks and features. I would be super embarrassed to open the gullwing doors on the X. It's a minivan looking thing with gullwing doors....Imagine putting lambo doors on a Chrysler Pacifica. The Model S is a properly good-looking car and apparently it handles well. The Porsche Taycan looks good and handles even better plus it's designed by the existing automotive establishment, which creates a sense of familiarity. I wouldn't mind getting an EV to go around town and to work, to be honest. But so far there are no good looking ones available that are affordable (and yes, that includes the Model 3), and all good looking ones are too expensive.

Don't let Elon catch you calling them anything but "Falcon Doors" lol. If you follow rich rebuilds (on YT), you can see all of the weird quirks (and features) of the Teslas that make them both lovable and hate-able.

I'm looking at a Model 3 LR in the future for commuting only. It's convenient for commuting and probably perfect for 95% of people. It's the car enthusiasts that it lacks everything for.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
Ernest72

Put the Tesla motor in the BRZ, Miata, S2000, Rx7 or 8, Porsche 911, cayman, etc. you get the point. This is where EV makes sense for me as an enthusiast. A sedan or suv I would let my wife get that car. Obviously the more affordable they become then I would have at least one EV.

As far as track, it’s meaningless to me. I believe the EV race cars of the future will be unbeatable from a performance and time perspective. But I think many will still prefer the sound and engagement of the old combustion engine for those weekend mountain drives. But clearly there are less of us, so the market will dictate.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:55 AM   #10
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I unexpectedly had the chance to drive a friend's Model 3 today. I don't see how one could really compare it to a Twin because of how different the intended purpose and driving experience is.

First off, it's enjoyable to drive because of how smooth and effortless it felt. The torque off the line is unbelievable and will push you into the seat. I had to keep checking the speedometer and slowing down because of how completely effortlessly it got up to speed. It didn't make any ICE noises obviously, but it did make a pleasant futuristic whirring noise.

The off-throttle regen braking took some getting used to. It was the equivalent of moderate braking in a normal car and you can pretty much drive the car without the brakes. I often found myself stopping well before I intended to.

I didn't push the car in corners or anything because it's not that kind of car (and my friends not a car guy), but the ride felt about typical for the segment, maybe a shade firm.

The interior was also very different with all the gauges moved to the center screen. One benefit is that gives the car superb forward vosibility. I liked the interior as a whole. Kind of an upscale futuristic feel.

Would I replace my FR-S with one? No way. The Model 3 is not meant to be a lightweight sports car. But now having driven one, I wouldn't mind it as a family car because of how smooth, futuristic, and upscale it felt.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (05-15-2020), soundman98 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #11
Wally86
Be Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I unexpectedly had the chance to drive a friend's Model 3 today. I don't see how one could really compare it to a Twin because of how different the intended purpose and driving experience is.

First off, it's enjoyable to drive because of how smooth and effortless it felt. The torque off the line is unbelievable and will push you into the seat. I had to keep checking the speedometer and slowing down because of how completely effortlessly it got up to speed. It didn't make any ICE noises obviously, but it did make a pleasant futuristic whirring noise.

The off-throttle regen braking took some getting used to. It was the equivalent of moderate braking in a normal car and you can pretty much drive the car without the brakes. I often found myself stopping well before I intended to.

I didn't push the car in corners or anything because it's not that kind of car (and my friends not a car guy), but the ride felt about typical for the segment, maybe a shade firm.

The interior was also very different with all the gauges moved to the center screen. One benefit is that gives the car superb forward vosibility. I liked the interior as a whole. Kind of an upscale futuristic feel.

Would I replace my FR-S with one? No way. The Model 3 is not meant to be a lightweight sports car. But now having driven one, I wouldn't mind it as a family car because of how smooth, futuristic, and upscale it felt.
If you set the regen braking to max, it's like stepping on the brakes every time you come to a light 😂

And bingo on its purpose. It's going to make a great commuter in lots of garages but it can't replace the feel of the twins.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Sound is the key. What makes the twins so great is high rpm sound without killing yourself on local roads.
You enjoy that awful noise

Sounds like two garbage disposals knife fighting.
Ultramaroon (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You enjoy that awful noise

Sounds like two garbage disposals knife fighting.
You ever been to a race, like nascar or the indie 500. I have and can tell you if they were silent it’s not as much fun to watch. Driving would still be fun, but something about a visceral sound just makes the experience. Not saying the twins have the best sound, but I know I need sound.

If I get a Taycan some day, I guess I will live with it.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #14
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
If I get a Taycan some day, I guess I will live with it.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-17-2020), p1l0t (05-17-2020), soundman98 (05-17-2020)