follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #29
T0rt0r0

Drives: European gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Yes if you disconnect battery for a while, ecu kind of reset and vvt will take longer to activate
The hotter engine oil is, the shorter it takes

Even if you just reset DTC will do the same
Thanks !

I hope that with regular oil changes and track abuse I'll not encounter this issue before a lot of miles ... !
T0rt0r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #30
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
So if you flash back stock you loose your ecutek license?

No flashing to stock with ecutek retains licience but it unlocks ecu. Other systems like oft,tactrix, brzefit can then write to ecu, but if you use other system to write, then that will overwrite the embedded ecutek licience in ecu and its lost, as the other systems dont re write the licience code.

As long as you continue to use ecutek to write the licience is retained, you can flash thousands of times, whetever tune you like
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-12-2019), tomm.brz (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rt0r0 View Post
Thanks for your quick reply !

To my understanding, disconnecting the battery leads to a new learning phase (with dead pedal etc.) so I'm assuming the car will need to activate cams again.

When these cars will be old it'll be a serious problem if vvt goes off like this :/

The only time ive seen a tune be a problem with vvt activation is if base idle speed is set to over about 1000 rpm. The ecu want to see a series of conditions for about 60 seconds to initilise vvt, zero throttle idle less than about 1000 , vvt phasors at zero , likely oil or coolant tems at some level and possibly others. But ive heard of guys with rearly high base idle having trouble
Old 12-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #32
Joe85C

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you are not resetting learning, then no.
Quick question also when I had the OFT I would frequently clear my check engine code (p2096) since I run catless headers, the car would always have that typical dead pedal sequence for a few fays. Since it's doing that dead pedal sequence everytime after clearing codes, doesn't that count also "flashing" the ecu again? Shouldnt the cams have misbehaved back with the OFT when I did that the code clearing since the ecu is re-learning again? Or do they only misbehave when you flash a new tune with different cams settings while clogged?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Joe85C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #33
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85C View Post
Quick question also when I had the OFT I would frequently clear my check engine code (p2096) since I run catless headers, the car would always have that typical dead pedal sequence for a few fays. Since it's doing that dead pedal sequence everytime after clearing codes, doesn't that count also "flashing" the ecu again? Shouldnt the cams have misbehaved back with the OFT when I did that the code clearing since the ecu is re-learning again? Or do they only misbehave when you flash a new tune with different cams settings while clogged?

two completely different parameters, as learning is mainly for fueling, whereas cams are a readiness check.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #34
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
You are implying the sluggish throttle is caused by vvt not enabling but we Don t know for sure yet without proof (= logs)

Also,
Are you pressing very slowly the accel pedal for 3 or 4 times with the ignition on and engine off before cranking the engine after reflash or DTC clearing?
It helps a lot

About learning, csg Mike Is right, Ltft learning plays a big role in engine smoothness and pedal response
In my tune i keep ltft disabled all the time and basically in less than 5 minutes of driving my pedal goes ok
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #35
Joe85C

Quote:
two completely different parameters, as learning is mainly for fueling, whereas cams are a readiness check.
Oh ok didnt know that. Sorry still learning here just throwing out any possibilities I can think of haha

Old 12-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #36
Joe85C

Quote:
You are implying the sluggish throttle is caused by vvt not enabling but we Don t know for sure yet without proof (= logs)

Also,
Are you pressing very slowly the accel pedal for 3 or 4 times with the ignition on and engine off before cranking the engine after reflash or DTC clearing?
It helps a lot

About learning, csg Mike Is right, Ltft learning plays a big role in engine smoothness and pedal response
In my tune i keep ltft disabled all the time and basically in less than 5 minutes of driving my pedal goes ok
So after the clearings I never did that process. Just drove normally until car went back to normal. While having these issues and symptoms for the last 7 months, whenever I disconnected the battery and then drove the car for a few days, the car would actually feel a little better and smoother for those few days. The MPG would actually hovering around the mid 21's for those few days. After a few days when the car went back to its usual state after the re learn process, the car felt horrible once again and even the MPG dropped significantly. I'm currently down to 18.2 and slowly going down. I was also clearly running out of fuel much much quicker then before.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #37
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
So after the clearings I never did that process. Just drove normally until car went back to normal. While having these issues and symptoms for the last 7 months, whenever I disconnected the battery and then drove the car for a few days, the car would actually feel a little better and smoother for those few days. The MPG would actually hovering around the mid 21's for those few days. After a few days when the car went back to its usual state after the re learn process, the car felt horrible once again and even the MPG dropped significantly. I'm currently down to 18.2 and slowly going down. I was also clearly running out of fuel much much quicker then before.

Got logs? I'll take a look. I can tell you if its cams or not.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #38
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Oh ok didnt know that. Sorry still learning here just throwing out any possibilities I can think of haha

The licience always stays in ecu

You cannot recover a licence by flashing to stock it still stays in ecu

Hoever if you did purchase any used working ecu that contained an valid ecutek licience you can then install it in your car and reflash it using ecutek to required calid for your car
Old 12-13-2019, 02:53 AM   #39
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Do I need the cable that it was flashed with?

No you dont , licience is totally independant of cable used

Tune files supplied by tuner are keyed to cable dongle id ( and possibly vin) but the licience in ecu is npt keyed to a cable kit.

Any ecutek cable can reflash an ecu with an ecutek licience.

But cavle kits are designated to groups of vehicles so you would need a cavle kit assigned to a brz\86 vehicle type

See here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117520
Old 12-13-2019, 03:54 AM   #40
Joe85C

Quote:
Got logs? I'll take a look. I can tell you if its cams or not.
So I dont have any logs but while data logging my tuner has said it was for sure the cams not responding well and was very sure and that he has ran into this problem with other cars 86s hes tuned. He said the seafoam through the oil helped the other cars but seafoam procedure had zero affect on my issues getting better. Mine was very weird because mine happened so instantatisly after the first flash it went from the car being perfect to driving terrible. Sorry if I dont explain this correctly for I'm not too educated in this subject enough, but if I remember clearly he said he was giving the cams a certain amount of retard and they would end up doing something completely different from what he set them at. Sorry if that was a bad explanation but I'm sure that's what he said.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:45 AM   #41
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
We would really need a datalog to discuss this
If he tells you that cams don t follow well the target it s different from saying cams Don t activate, because if you say so then the vvt is enabled

I saw some cars where the cams struggle a bit to follow the tune's target, or like jump to 50 when you command 40, or a discrepancy of 2-3 degrees sometimes, but those cars still run well and the owners Don t complain
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #42
Joe85C

Quote:
We would really need a datalog to discuss this
If he tells you that cams don t follow well the target it s different from saying cams Don t activate, because if you say so then the vvt is enabled

I saw some cars where the cams struggle a bit to follow the tune's target, or like jump to 50 when you command 40, or a discrepancy of 2-3 degrees sometimes, but those cars still run well and the owners Don t complain
I know without logs theres really no point in me trying trying to explain the issue other then the issues the cars having. I just messaged him about flashing back to stock 91 oem tune and seeing what happens. I was also thinking of having him copy the tables from the OFT e85 tune as well but I'm thinking going to stock tune on 91 would be a more cut and dry option for troubleshooting the issues? So to make clear if the car doesnt run normal after going back to the oem tune or even the OFT tune, the car for certain needs new cam gears?