follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
jtice

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to jtice Send a message via AIM to jtice Send a message via Yahoo to jtice
Question Corsa Cat Back VS. Nameless Axle Back ???

Looking to get an exhaust for my 17 BRZ, and think I have it narrowed down between these two.
Corsa Catback 14864, and the Nameless Axle Back, 2.5" Pipe, 5" Muffler

The Corsa seems to have a richer tone to it, but I am worried its too loud?
I want it to be louder than stock, but I do NOT want any drone, and I want to still be able to listen to music in the car.
Prefer a deep tone over raspy.

Rest of the car is stock, but do plan to do a UEL header one day.

Tried to find a video comparing the two but no luck so far,
would love to hear input from someone that has heard both in person.
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
If you like deep tone, corsa isn't for you. It sounds gruff in the lower rpm but past 3500 it's a banshee wail. I am also planning to do an UEL later. Here are some clips of Corsa with a UEL header

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ2NO-Z1ai8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ2NO-Z1ai8[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEQlsY0SW38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEQlsY0SW38[/ame]
tehShirt (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
The Corsa system is designed to be a zero drone system. During cruising/light throttle conditions it is very quiet, you won't have any issue listening to music or having a conversation. The tone is deep and rich, definitely a unique sounding exhaust. From outside the car, the exhaust is definitely louder than stock. You shouldn't attract cops, but no sugarcoating it, when you are WOT, this exhaust wails.

If you are replacing the header, I would leave the front pipe stock, and potentially keep a cat in the header. Again, this system is designed to be drone free/produce it's unique sound with the stock system in mind.

I've had this exhaust on the car since I bought it new almost a year ago. No complaints whatsoever.

That said, I've heard good things about the Perrin catback, resonated. General consensus is that the Perrin is quieter than the Corsa.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
jtice

Send a message via ICQ to jtice Send a message via AIM to jtice Send a message via Yahoo to jtice
Sound is such a hard thing to convey with words, especially online.

As far as what I hear in videos, I LOVE the sound of the Corsa with the rest of the exhaust stock.
The Nameless seems to have more rasp to it, which I dont like.
When I said I like a deep sound, it can have that gurgle to it, I like that, it can have "gruff" I like that. I just dont like raspy.

I also cant stand drone, so I like that I am seeing comments on the Corsa all the time that it does not drone.

The only thing that worries me is what the Corsa seems to round like with a UEL header.
That seems to add ALOT of rasp to it. Though, I assume all the vids I am hearing are a catless header. I guess I could go with a catted header. Though I assume that would sacrifice some of the performance gains I would get, vs. a catless header.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Just realized you said Nameless, not Perrin. I'm sure some Nameless (twins) owners will chime in, but the quality of Nameless products is great. I had the Nameless 5in resonated catback system on my 2014 WRX. Snarled and popped, was a lovely sound, but there was drone present. On thing to consider with the Nameless, it's not a "suitcase" muffler, so you end up losing whatever diffuser effect the stock piece had.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
spike021 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I have a Nameless. Wish I'd made an audio clip, been thinking of doing it recently.

The Nameless honestly sounds amazing. I don't think I hear the rasp you're mentioning, so maybe that's just because you're seeing video recordings. Do you know anyone who lives nearby you who has the Nameless? It'd be best to hear it in person vs the Corsa, if possible.

What I like about the Nameless is similar to how @tehShirt described the Corsa: when I'm light on the throttle, it's very quiet. Like, I can drive on a 35-45mph limit road, pass a cop, and no issues.

However, if I'm revving it out and going WOT then the exhaust really starts to speak up, and it adds a bit of a deep tone with a hint of aggressiveness, but without being overwhelming or obnoxious in any way IMO (and when I was searching for an exhaust I made sure not to get a "loud" one).

There are two or so "moments" where I do get some potential drone or ambient resonance from the exhaust (idk how else to describe it really):

1. If I'm on one of those 35-45mph roads and let's say I'm going about 40-45mph in 3rd gear (so revving it out a bit rather than being in 4th gear), and then I let off the gas to decelerate slowly, I get a bit of a hum. It's not overly loud, but it's there.

2. When I'm on a true highway going 75-80mph there's just a bit of a mph range there where I also get a hum, but with a bit more of a bass note, when not on the throttle, I'd say. But, I can also lightly put on some gas and it mostly goes away.

So the important thing is learning how your exhaust sounds at different speeds and different amounts of throttle, pretty much. Even if you get the Corsa you'll want to learn, especially if you want to be careful in residential areas and near cops, etc.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-13-2018), tehShirt (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
The Nameless honestly sounds amazing.
With or without a header?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
With or without a header?
Sorry, without.

I only have the axleback, no midpipe or anything changed.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
2017 nameless axleback with stock everything else.

My other opinions about the nameless axleback:
  • Sounds great on the all stock setup.
  • Looks great.
  • Gets a lot louder when you change up the headers.(could be pro or con depending)
  • It rubs on a spot with the FT86 diffuser. Causing an annoying metal vibration noise. I'd imagine some time with a Dremel on the FT86 diffuser will fix it right up.

Last edited by Elliotw; 04-13-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Razorlor

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited, Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the Corsa catback on my car with an FT86 UEL catted header. It is extremely quiet (barely noticeable at idle or crusing). Under normal driving it is a deep tone and the main reason I bought it. Under WOT however, it SCREAMS (which I still love).

Overall, really love the exhaust, but it is the first time I've ever purchased this expensive of a system.

Ill see if I can get some sound clips of it for you to hear.
Razorlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Having had both systems, with and without a header, I would go Nameless with 5" mufflers again. Just sounds better in both configurations.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-13-2018), Timmy_Jones (04-17-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
jtice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
I have the Corsa catback on my car with an FT86 UEL catted header. It is extremely quiet (barely noticeable at idle or crusing). Under normal driving it is a deep tone and the main reason I bought it. Under WOT however, it SCREAMS (which I still love).

Overall, really love the exhaust, but it is the first time I've ever purchased this expensive of a system.

Ill see if I can get some sound clips of it for you to hear.
I dont mind it getting a bit loud when running it hard, but would like it to stay quiet under normal driving, and going up hills on the highway.

Would love to hear what yours sounds like.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I don't own either but heard them both in person and honestly both sound good. Nameless I think sounded a little better in my opinion.

Not to mention there is a price gap between the two, I'd go nameless.

I personally love my Perrin resonated catback, love the sound and look, I almost bought nameless but decided I wanted something a little more subtle in terms of volume, I was also concerned with drone and the Perrin has none.

Either way both are good exhausts.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #14
Jasonb

Drives: 17 Series Yellow BRZ
I have the single exit Nameless muffled track pipe and a JDL UEL header. With the stock over pipe, stock front pipe, and stock mid pipe it's not too bad. It'll probably be too loud for some people though. It can be super quiet, or it can be super loud depending on the rpm and how hard you're on the throttle. No drone though.

Jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote