follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 艾洛 View Post
- My commute for the next 1-2 years will be roughly 100 miles a day (highway driving, level terrain) - I wanted to make this my daily driver. Is this feasible in a FR-S / BRZ?
The noise in the cabin is pretty loud and may send you towards getting some sound deadening materials.
That's what I did. I did not expect Lexus quiet but this car is not even Honda Accord or base Camry quiet. The stock exhaust has a medium-high pitched drone, the stock tires are noisy, and there is lots of cabin noise from the mirrors and the rear of the car.

After Dynamatting and MLV-ing my car it is now bearable as a commuter. I do highway commuting daily, 60 miles round trip.

If you have a second car it will make you appreciate this car even more.
DAEMANO (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
KNS

Drives: BMW and Porsche at the moment
I'm considering a BRZ as well and I have a long commute. I have also noticed a lot of used BRZ/FRSs for sale which seems strange for a car that is so new. I think that some people buy the car and soon realize it is not what they expected or were hoping for and trade it in. However there are still plenty who've owned them for a few years now and are still happy with them.
KNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
艾洛

Drives: Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
I'm considering a BRZ as well and I have a long commute. I have also noticed a lot of used BRZ/FRSs for sale which seems strange for a car that is so new. I think that some people buy the car and soon realize it is not what they expected or were hoping for and trade it in. However there are still plenty who've owned them for a few years now and are still happy with them.
The problem is that this car is irresistible on the outside. :p only those who truly understand what approach Toyota took towards the gt86 can honestly enjoy the car for what it is behind the wheel.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
I agree with the post above. I am new to the FR-S, so I'll defer to those who have been driving it longer. But I can easily see people buying this car expecting something other than what it was designed to be.

This is one good place to start, if you haven't already read about the '86.
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
I agree with the post above. I am new to the FR-S, so I'll defer to those who have been driving it longer. But I can easily see people buying this car expecting something other than what it was designed to be.

This is one good place to start, if you haven't already read about the '86.
With all the info that was available even before it was released anybody that got caught by surprize when they bought it completely failed in their research. Let's be honest, the first several thousand buyers were not your average car buyers and knew what they were getting and anybody after them, that spent even an hour checking it out, should know as well.There would of course be some that had some problems with the initial release cars that may have got frustrated and got rid of them, I know that when the 15 WRXs came out a pile went over to them and even in the two short years families grew or financial circumstances changed so people traded for more practical cars.
I also agree with Xwithahatandtentwithwindowandfireonroof (sorry 艾洛 that is how I have to pronounce it) that you have to like the act of actually driving to fully enjoy these cars. If you just want to point the wheel and punch the accelerator you will miss the point.
Demandred7 (12-07-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #20
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Didn't get around to test driving today (weather was bad, and I got to small time dealership about 1/2 hour before closing thanks to traffic), but I definitely understand what you guys were saying about the noise of this car... Not sure how great of a shape this car was kept, but even from a standstill it was much noisier than I anticipated.

Was a little bummed out that the particular car I was looking at was dinged up all over the place, luckily there are a few other options closer to home...

If those don't pan out, I might consider the new car route, but that'd probably require more research on my part as at that point it might make more sense, like BlueDubbinTDI suggested, for me to consider more of a luxury car...

Decisions, decisions...
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #21
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
if you want luxury, look elsewhere

if you want (imo) a hell of a platform that is capable, even stock, to get the adrenaline running every time you enter the twisties, look here
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Didn't get around to test driving today (weather was bad, and I got to small time dealership about 1/2 hour before closing thanks to traffic), but I definitely understand what you guys were saying about the noise of this car... Not sure how great of a shape this car was kept, but even from a standstill it was much noisier than I anticipated.

Was a little bummed out that the particular car I was looking at was dinged up all over the place, luckily there are a few other options closer to home...

If those don't pan out, I might consider the new car route, but that'd probably require more research on my part as at that point it might make more sense, like BlueDubbinTDI suggested, for me to consider more of a luxury car...

Decisions, decisions...
If possible find out if it is an early or late 2013. It does make a difference with some of the first run issues being corrected.
They are a bit noisy but that is the compromise for weight. Make sure you plug the sound tube under the passenger mat as that makes a huge difference. You can even do it during a test drive by simply pulling the socket plug from in the glove box, pulling the mat back about 4 inches from the HVAC box and shoving the plug in.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
if you want luxury, look elsewhere

if you want (imo) a hell of a platform that is capable, even stock, to get the adrenaline running every time you enter the twisties, look here
Oh yeah definitely - I didn't mean to imply this was a luxury car :-P

Was really just getting at the fact that while ideally I'm going to end up purchasing a car that's fun to drive and that will liven up the commute, a luxury car would also be in the cards if I can't come to terms with the FR-S / BRZ...
The Following User Says Thank You to 02.ACCORD.DUDE For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #24
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
there's a lot of good options out right now.. it's a buyers market
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #25
kchar
Because Racecar

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I also didn't have any experience (unless you count going down 1 block haha) driving manual so don't sweat it. As long as you understand how things work mechanically then you should be able to quickly pick up. Its definitely a learning curve but fun to better your technique day after day.

Also you can plug the sound tube with the cigarette lighter plug in the glove box. I would imagine the dealer would let you try it since sound could be an issue for you.
kchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
there's a lot of good options out right now.. it's a buyers market
Agreed.

Regarding Scion's "Pure Price" approach, they may stick to that strategy in some or even many cases - I am not totally sure. But it my case, it was full-up dealing, and they were GREAT to work with. A very attractive price on top of a thrilling test drive made my decision immediate.

It's likely that all cars brands will be agressively priced in the coming weeks.

Have fun!
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #27
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Waffling on whether to go used or new now...

The handful of used cars I've checked out require all look to require some sort of fixes (none of which look to be that expensive)...

There's one close by where there was right side damage (reportedly repaired), which I may check out...

I'm a little paranoid when I see damage on a used car though, as it makes me question the actual condition / unseen wear and tear on the car.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well you bought the Accord new...why not an FRS new ?
Another option would be to buy an FRS used, try it out for a winter. If you like it at all, then trade for a new one next spring.

I read about the FRS/BRZ, everything I could find for about two years. Most negatives I heard were the squeaks and rattles. Therefore decided I should buy new...knowing I'd be spending almost 8 thousand dollars more for a new one. Really hate owning a new car though, as one usually feels he/she must be careful with it.

Last June I road tested a used one at a Scion New Car Dealership. The used one was in excellent condition. Testing it with a salesman sitting next to me, I don't think I made it all the way out of the lot, onto the street, before I said "this is me". Never had that feeling before with any other car.

Waited for the 15s. Bought a new 15 FRS early October. Decided to take a different approach to a new car with this one...Started driving it very hard immediately. That's back twisty, poorly surfaced roads, and revving the engine to it's limits often. Ignored the break in advise some often give. 2500 miles on it now and very happy so far. Soon to take a 7000 mile road trip with it, see what I really think. Note: with only 2500 miles on car, no squeaks or rattles so far (and I have driven it on some really nasty roads, dirt, gravel, potholes, big rocks and narrow streams, etc), we'll see after the 7000mi. trip how it fares.

Have no clue what these people are talking about with the sound tube noise. Do hear a little wind noise, probably caused by the outside mirrors. But who cares....this is surely a driver's car. Still wondering if I should have bought used instead, lived with the squeaks and rattles. It's the actual driving experience I really care about. And for me, I'd never even consider an auto trans...way too boring.

This car fits me, both physically and mentally. My biggest problem with it so far, I don't wanna get out. When you're in a warm shower, who wants to get out, towel off in the cold, and face reality. Same experience when I must stop, park this car, get on with reality. The car is just a wonderful escape. A drug I can't get enough of.

So, for a to and from work car...you'll not wanna get out of the car arriving at work. Yet, during work, all day, thinking about, looking forward to, the wonderful drive home each day.
What more can you ask for in life ?

And for those who don't know me...I turned 68 on October 31st...so just have fun !

Last edited by ToySub1946; 12-06-2014 at 07:18 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
berkbrzfan (12-16-2014), NIN69 (12-06-2014)