follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Work Meisters BBK clearance

I almost didn't buy Meisters, as when I asked Work NZ to check which disk I needed to clear a couple of bbk options I considered, they said neither o or a disk would fit, and I'd have to go r disk, which aren't available in 5x100.

If you didn't know, the disk types give different bbk clearance, at the sacrifice of dish. O disk gives the least bbk clearance, but the most dish. Off the top of my head, A disk gives 10mm than O disk, and R disk gives 25mm or so more than O disk.

Now we don't have a lot of room for crazy offsets, so I didn't want to get custom r disk, or get a disk and run a spacer.

Luckily, a friend had S1Rs, in A disk. I borrowed a wheel and took a lot of measurements and believed that Work were on meth, as I had more than 10mm clearance with A disk, with the bbks I was measuring up. I also had a friend come and check my measurements to be 100% sure.

Anyway, went back to Work NZ, told them about my findings and asked that they double checked with Work Japan, they came back a few days later saying Work Japan agreed with their findings. I asked to be sent a CAD drawing so I could measure more accurately on my work PC, they refused to supply, citing that they don't want to give that info out.

Confident in my own measurements, I ordered O disk. Much to Work NZs disgust at ignoring their advice.

Fast forward 3.5 months to today, and I picked my wheels up this morning. First think I did was measure up the BBK I have already ordered, the Wilwood 6 piston.
Now I can confidently confirm that

Willwood 6 piston fits. Close point being outer radius point of caliper to spoke, about 4mm clearance
AP racing Sprint fits. Close point being inner caliper point to spoke. Clearance about 2.5 - 3mm
AP racing Endurance might fit. I don't have a template for this kit as it wasn't one I was considering. Seeing as critical point will be inner caliper point to spoke, and it is slightly further from centre compared to the sprint kit, as that combined with the curve of the spoke, I believe it will fit.
Wilwood 4 pot front kit (the one that is specified for a wrx) fits with shitloads of clearance.

Can upload pics in a few days if needed.

To confirm, wheel is 18" S1R Meister and O disk (least clearance/most dish)
Wheel is 9inch wide and +35 offset, not that either of these will affect any of te above, as the disk shape for a certain wheel size remains constant irrespective of width / offset.

Unsure whether I'll gloat to Work NZ or not. I'll probably wait till they ask me, heh.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diss7 For This Useful Post:
JEFFSTYLE (01-17-2014)
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have a feeling all the brakes are for 17" wheels "minimum clearance".

Since you're running 18" wheels, the curvature of the Meister S1 spoke + where the calipers sit make a huge difference.

You'll find much different results if you used the 340mm+ rotors (min. 18" wheel clearance) as the guide to measure, I think.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote