follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #15
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yeah his car reminds me of toothless from how to train your dragon...

Jaden
^^^ I see it.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Suparu (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Suparu

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
LOVE the choice of wheels as well. I just so happen to have the same wheels haha. Though I am running 17x9. Can't wait to see them on the car!
Nice choice! I saw your build thread and they look really good on your car, it looks aggressive. My tires just came in today so I'm supposed to get them put on tomorrow. Unfortunately we couldn't get the springs done this past weekend. I bought this car used and the dealership didn't have the key to the wheel locks, we weren't able to break them off either. So I'm going to let the tire place remove the locks tomorrow when they install the new wheels then hopefully we'll try to do the springs this weekend once replacement lugs/locks are on the car. I'll post pics but unfortunately it'll have the factory wheel gap until this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yeah his car reminds me of toothless from how to train your dragon...

Jaden
I see it too. My wife was saying I should name the BRZ but I've never named any of my previous cars, so I didn't have any ideas. I think I might snag Toothless for a name LOL.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #17
Suparu

I just got the wheels put on, updated my original post above.

Last edited by Suparu; 10-06-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Suparu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suparu For This Useful Post:
djdnz (09-29-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
Suparu

Got the springs put on last night, so I just updated the original post above with a couple pics. I can't imagine what a difference coilovers would've made because between the new wheels, tires and springs; it handles amazingly well. It feels like a different car, I love it.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey, I think I met you at the sweet hut meet a week or so ago. I was thinking RCE's too. Did you put yours on yourself or did you take it somewhere?
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #20
Suparu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
Hey, I think I met you at the sweet hut meet a week or so ago. I was thinking RCE's too. Did you put yours on yourself or did you take it somewhere?
Yeah I was there at that 86 Atlanta sweet hut meet. Kevon did the install for my springs. You can shoot him a PM on Facebook or make a post on 86 Atlanta with his name tagged in it and say that Kris mentioned him.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #21
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
It's a small world, isn't it?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #22
Suparu

It’s been a few years since I’ve updated. The car’s at 84k miles now and no problems with the SBD turbo kit or anything. Except my Prosport AFR gauge bit the dust after a few cold winters, it didn’t do well with the cold temps.

I just put on a pair of Valenti black/gold sequential smoked tails. I put on a pair of gasket ninjas with the 3M adhesive in hopes of keeping condensation at bay. I’m hoping to pick back up with some more mods over the next year.

Last edited by Suparu; 05-20-2020 at 07:19 PM.
WC-BRZ (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #23
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey, great thread. Thanks for the current update because as I was going through the first page I was wondering how your SBD kit is holding up these days in 2019!

So, I reckon you haven't had a cracked header like everyone keeps saying about the SBD kit?

If you don't mind me asking, are you sponsored by SBD? How has their customer support been over the years and have you needed any additional parts?

I'm also wondering what type of turbo came with your kit - is it a journal bearing or ball bearing, what size and manufacturer?

Of the 84k miles, how many were boosted miles?

Only wondering since I'm actually interested in the SBD kit due to the value it offers, but always keep turning away because of issues that people keep bringing up with it.
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WC-BRZ For This Useful Post:
Suparu (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #24
Suparu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Hey, great thread. Thanks for the current update because as I was going through the first page I was wondering how your SBD kit is holding up these days in 2019!

So, I reckon you haven't had a cracked header like everyone keeps saying about the SBD kit?
No cracked header over here, how do most ppl crack it?

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, are you sponsored by SBD? How has their customer support been over the years and have you needed any additional parts?
I’ve never reached out to their customer support before. My tuner installed the kit and dynotuned it. I’ve swapped out the air filter with a generic Greddy mushroom filter twice over the past few years but that’s the only change that’s happened since it was installed.

Quote:
I'm also wondering what type of turbo came with your kit - is it a journal bearing or ball bearing, what size and manufacturer?
I’ll have to check my notes and answer back on this one bc tbh I don’t recall lol. I think it was a Mitsubishi turbo but I’ll find out for you. My tuner said at the time of install that it’ll probably last me until ~80k miles on the odometer but so far so good.

Quote:
Of the 84k miles, how many were boosted miles?

Only wondering since I'm actually interested in the SBD kit due to the value it offers, but always keep turning away because of issues that people keep bringing up with it.
I want to say the car was around ~30k miles on the odometer when the turbo kit was installed, so around ~54k miles boosted.

Edit: I almost forgot to add, I’ve had a reoccurring problem with blowing o2 sensors. I’ve gone through 3 of them so every time I have it replaced it only has a 1 year lifespan. Really sucks but I guess I’d rather have that problem than a more serious one. It’s a PITA though.

Last edited by Suparu; 06-20-2019 at 08:15 AM.
WC-BRZ (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #25
Suparu

The turbo’s a Mitsubishi 20G CHRA with a 52.5mm inlet @ 10psi boost

Compressor: 52.5mm inducer/68mm exducer
TX05H Turbine: 49.2mm/55.8mm

Last edited by Suparu; 04-03-2020 at 04:59 PM.
WC-BRZ (06-20-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #26
Suparu

I got tired of hearing annoying ticking/creak noises from the rear parcel shelf area. I followed a few posts I found on here plus the TSB. I popped the weld spots, sprayed white lithium grease into all the metal weld gaps. That helped a little bit but I ended up using Great Stuff insulating, expanding, spray polyurethane foam everywhere I had put the white lithium grease. Each step of the way the car would get quieter and I’d hear quieter noises that I didn’t notice before. I put foam weatherstripping under the black wireless receiver box, it’s metal clip and it’s bolt for cushioning cuz it was a big source of noise for me even though it seemed perfectly tightened.

Even those white plastic clips that the pop clips snap into behind the rear seat and for the tools in the trunk were a problem. I filled those up too with gorilla glue around the sides of them in desperation to get rid of the noises. I eventually popped out the white plastic pieces from the metal altogether out of frustration.

Applied Noico sound deadening to the trunk and rear parcel shelf to hopefully absorb any resonance going through the metal that was vibrating the plastics.

Car is tight as a drum now as far as those sounds go.

Update: this took care of the annoying rear parcel shelf noises for a month. Then the noises slowly came back due to bumps/etc flexing the chassis. It seems some extra chassis rigidity is needed to stop it from coming back.

Last edited by Suparu; 05-20-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #27
Suparu

Updated the first post with pics of the new coilovers, courtesy of Atlanta Speed Company. Here’s a couple additional pics of the Whiteline toe arms and HKS coilovers

Last edited by Suparu; 05-20-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #28
Suparu

Updated the OP with the interior pics.

I applied Noico sound deadening to my window switches to stop bass rattling. I also put a little on my door handles + locks where it makes contact with other parts.

I went ahead and applied it to the doors too since I had the door panels off for replacing the window switches, door handles and speaker pad/grill.

The metal ticking sound from the rear parcel shelf is back *sigh* well the lack of unwanted interior sounds was real nice while it lasted. At least the door area is rattle-free now and the bass response from the factory door speakers is improved.

Last edited by Suparu; 05-20-2020 at 07:20 PM.