follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Doborder, orthojoe

Old 04-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #239
KiP40

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Yes, I ran into an unexpected problem when I re-used my washer.

No, it didn't leak (the bottom of my transmission is completely dry). But the washer got crushed/squished to the point where I couldn't take it off drain plug anymore. Basically, the inside diameter of the washer became smaller than the diameter of the threads on the drain plug. The outside diameter of the washer expanded out, while the inside diameter expanded inward from being crushed too much. Hope this makes sense.

Not a big deal, but I went ahead and ordered a new drain plug for next time. I had to put the old drain plug back on (along with the previously twice-crushed washer) since it was gonna take a few days for the new drain plug to arrive. I've checked it a few times after driving around for a few weeks now, its not leaking.. even with the thrice-used washer.
Thank you, I really appreciate your response. I will order a new drain plug next time I switch the fluids to play it safe.
KiP40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #240
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Did the swap this weekend.

When I was filling the transmission I was surprised to find that I put in ~2.5L before the oil started leaking out. It did leak a good amount (because I didn't notice it at first, since it follows the lines of the transmission and a good amount was on the little grid fins on the side of the transmission. Still, I think this happened because my garage floor is not as level as I thought it was. Car was at an angle so I could get under it easier such that the rear right was the lowest point. All of the jackstands were at equal heights though.

The shifter seems to be what I would call notchier (not sure what people mean when they say notchy), I can feel a little of resistance going into each gear before it pops into gear. No grinding or anything like that. Other times though it is really smooth. This is with Motul 300.

Is there any harm to the transmission to have ~0.3 L too much oil? If so what's the best way to leak out a small amount to get it back closer to 2.2L? I feel like I should have just tried to put 2.2L in and stopped even if it didn't leak, but I'm not even sure if the bottles have exactly 1 L in each bottle. Was thinking about getting a pump and syphoning out ~0.2 to 0.25 L to make sure that its not underfilled. I've heard that you can just level the car and let it leak out the top hole, but I'm not sure what the best way to level the car on both axes is.

I'm really shocked I could get 2.5 L in it, I would have thought there would be less tolerance for error when filling it up. I really wish this car just had a dipstick like the WRX so I could know for sure.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #241
mr_squirrel

Drives: 2017 86 Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Did the swap this weekend.

When I was filling the transmission I was surprised to find that I put in ~2.5L before the oil started leaking out. It did leak a good amount (because I didn't notice it at first, since it follows the lines of the transmission and a good amount was on the little grid fins on the side of the transmission. Still, I think this happened because my garage floor is not as level as I thought it was. Car was at an angle so I could get under it easier such that the rear right was the lowest point. All of the jackstands were at equal heights though.

The shifter seems to be what I would call notchier (not sure what people mean when they say notchy), I can feel a little of resistance going into each gear before it pops into gear. No grinding or anything like that. Other times though it is really smooth. This is with Motul 300.

Is there any harm to the transmission to have ~0.3 L too much oil? If so what's the best way to leak out a small amount to get it back closer to 2.2L? I feel like I should have just tried to put 2.2L in and stopped even if it didn't leak, but I'm not even sure if the bottles have exactly 1 L in each bottle. Was thinking about getting a pump and syphoning out ~0.2 to 0.25 L to make sure that its not underfilled. I've heard that you can just level the car and let it leak out the top hole, but I'm not sure what the best way to level the car on both axes is.

I'm really shocked I could get 2.5 L in it, I would have thought there would be less tolerance for error when filling it up. I really wish this car just had a dipstick like the WRX so I could know for sure.
I kept filling and waiting spill over. When it didnt happen past 2.5, I got suspicious and stopped filling. I was definitely closer to 2.75L. Didn't have a way to get it out without opening the drain plug so I left it in because I didn't want to over drain it. After driving , so far so good, but I worry that maybe thermal expansion will cause the tranny to explode. I have no actual evidence this would happen, but I think about the one time I put a beer in the freezer. Opposite temps but same idea.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #242
BR-ZED

Here is an update.

After reassessing the situation, I think I had about 2.45L in the transmission. Ended up jacking up the car again. This time didn't angle the car in the garage. Took the fill plug out and immediately some oil dripped out.

I used a bubble level app on my Android phone to see how level the car was front to rear. Found a good place to place the level was on the main ridge of the transmission (going front to rear). Kept jacking up the rear of the car until it was level to within 0.1 degree. Can't believe how unlevel the floor was. Also, am wondering if the transmission is even level to the cars frame. When I did this, more fluid came out. Let it drip till it stopped, and measured what I took out as ~200mL. Pretty close now to the spec (~2.25L). Plugged it back up and took it for a drive... Much less notchy and much smoother. Still, in my judgement, about the same as stock. However my car is used, so not sure if the previous owner had stock fluid in it or not. So I can't say I'd recommend Motul, but I'm just glad my car is feeling better again. It is still slightly notchier occasionally, especially when cold, but draining the excess fluid made a huge difference. Highly recommended!

Wanted to share my experience. I think this is a pretty common issue as I've read about it on the internet and this forum a few times. Hopefully this helps someone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR-ZED For This Useful Post:
Busybee (10-26-2022), ddevl_86 (04-02-2021)
Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #243
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
I used a bubble level app on my Android phone to see how level the car was front to rear. Found a good place to place the level was on the main ridge of the transmission (going front to rear). Kept jacking up the rear of the car until it was level to within 0.1 degree. Can't believe how unlevel the floor was. Also, am wondering if the transmission is even level to the cars frame.
Have a look at this. I caught some grief for being too anal about it but the CAR being level matters when doing the tranny fluid fill.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110736
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-26-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #244
BR-ZED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Have a look at this. I caught some grief for being too anal about it but the CAR being level matters when doing the tranny fluid fill.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110736
Nice, no harm in being too careful!
Old 05-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #245
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
going to tackle this job tomorrow.

last time I change the diff and tran fluid i bough new gasket for all of the drain/fill bolts.

Can i just switch them over this time around and save some money?
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #246
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
just reposting so people get correct washer

Differential fill plug gasket: SU00300122 @$2.30 each- part no.11126jb000
Differential drain plug gasket: TOY1215710010 @$1.50 each - 1215710010

Transmission fill/drain plug gasket: SU00303626 @>$11 each
SU003-03626 for the transmission drain and fill washer gasket is the same exact size as hondas transmission drain plug and it costs 2.27 instead of 11 bucks.
save some money. hondas part number is 90471-px4-000

I went to Honda and got their washer (
90471-px4-000) and worked perfectly

can anyone confirm the dill/drain gasket is parts number 17008AA050. i looked it up at my local dealer and it says thats the parts number.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #247
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Is 2.3 ok? For the trAnny? That's when it started to drip for me. Also, I did it when the car was cold overnight , is that ok too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #248
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Is 2.3 ok? For the trAnny? That's when it started to drip for me. Also, I did it when the car was cold overnight , is that ok too?

Was the car perfectly level? If so that should be about right. The temperature doesn't matter at that small of a volume.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #249
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Was the car perfectly level? If so that should be about right. The temperature doesn't matter at that small of a volume.

Yea very level actually haha. I used a leveller and spent a solid hour trying to get it perfectly level. Also, my differential took 1.2 then started to drip. I hope that's fine.

Thanks for your answer !

The Following User Says Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #250
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Yea very level actually haha. I used a leveller and spent a solid hour trying to get it perfectly level. Also, my differential took 1.2 then started to drip. I hope that's fine.

Thanks for your answer !

Sounds like you are bang on for both then.
Attached Images

Busybee (10-26-2022)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #251
allowe

DIY - Transmission / Diff Fluid Change Reference Guide

Thanks a lot man! shifting feel has changed, it feels like butter, I like it!
Also, the diff fluid came out a bit red ish but the transmission fluid came out pitch black. The diff magnet had so much gunk.

Ps. Am I the only one who really likes the smell of transmission oil.

Last edited by allowe; 08-16-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #252
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
can anyone confirm the dill/drain gasket is parts number 17008AA050. i looked it up at my local dealer and it says thats the parts number.
to answer my own question, i yes these parts were right.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential, diy, fluid, transmission