follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Benefits of Recirculating Wastegate

Does having an electronic boost controller with an external wastegate recirculation tube have any benefit? Or is it the same whether you have a boost controller or not?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What type of BC are you talking about? Standalone electronic, or a boost control solenoid? There are benefits to using them yes, and whether you recirc your wastegate or not has nothing to do with one another.
ATL BRZ (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
What type of BC are you talking about? Standalone electronic, or a boost control solenoid? There are benefits to using them yes, and whether you recirc your wastegate or not has nothing to do with one another.
I bought the Innovate SCG-1 electronic boost controller. It connects to a 3 way solenoid.

I wasn't sure if there was a way to use what would be recirculated to help boost stay constant or something, then recirc what's unneeded.

Not gonna lie, I am crash coursing turbo info beyond the basics I understood. I know how it works, etc, but I am trying to learn the finer details to understand limits and well, anything there is that I can learn. So far it doesn't seem too complex, but I can't find specific details like my question here. Sorry if it's a newb question.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I bought the Innovate SCG-1 electronic boost controller. It connects to a 3 way solenoid.

I wasn't sure if there was a way to use what would be recirculated to help boost stay constant or something, then recirc what's unneeded.

Not gonna lie, I am crash coursing turbo info beyond the basics I understood. I know how it works, etc, but I am trying to learn the finer details to understand limits and well, anything there is that I can learn. So far it doesn't seem too complex, but I can't find specific details like my question here. Sorry if it's a newb question.
Good on you for admitting to still learning. Some people have egos far to big to admit that. My advice is to keep reading what ever info you can find from legitimate sources (stay of facebook groups) and also there are some very good youtube videos that have taught me a lot of what I know.

But as for the boost controller it will function the same way whether the wastegate is dumping or recirculating. The only difference between those two are dumping goes straight to atmosphere with no muffling, whereas recirculating diverts it into the exhaust system just like a car that comes stock with a turbo and internal wastegate.

The way the wastegate controls boost levels is it has a spring inside that holds a certain amount of boost before opening and diverting the exhaust gases away from the turbine wheel in the turbo. A boost controller is attached to a vacuum line that normally feeds straight from a boost source to the wastegate and it bleeds off some of the boost pressure to allow the wastegate to stay closed at higher pressure levels.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Detroiter For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiter View Post
Good on you for admitting to still learning. Some people have egos far to big to admit that. My advice is to keep reading what ever info you can find from legitimate sources (stay of facebook groups) and also there are some very good youtube videos that have taught me a lot of what I know.

But as for the boost controller it will function the same way whether the wastegate is dumping or recirculating. The only difference between those two are dumping goes straight to atmosphere with no muffling, whereas recirculating diverts it into the exhaust system just like a car that comes stock with a turbo and internal wastegate.

The way the wastegate controls boost levels is it has a spring inside that holds a certain amount of boost before opening and diverting the exhaust gases away from the turbine wheel in the turbo. A boost controller is attached to a vacuum line that normally feeds straight from a boost source to the wastegate and it bleeds off some of the boost pressure to allow the wastegate to stay closed at higher pressure levels.
Too bad for their egos, we are always learning, haha.

I have been hunting down useful youtube videos. Mega Mechatronics had some informational videos that helped a lot.

It's all very interesting so far. I'd love to tune my own car eventually.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I share Detroit's sentiments, nothing wrong with an inquiring mind! Your solenoid is going to be hooked up to a vacuum source, so that it can tell what your manifold pressure is. In other words if a 'metaphor' helps at all, it's tapped into the intake side rather than exhaust.
Strife26 (12-04-2017)