follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #57
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
no, you are SO wrong mate.
Lower temps bring higher boost, the more density is indeed what causes it. Ask any tuner and you will get the same answer

That s also why a turbo has to work harder and faster to achieve same boost with higher temp, because it produces less boost with warm air temp and to open the wastegate it needs to spin faster
Think about a balloon. Add more heat to the air and what happens? The balloon will get bigger because there is more pressure because the molecules are moving faster and need more space. More heat means more pressure. More pressure = more boost. More boost does not equal more power.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #58
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Stock injectors right now, but the kit I bought used came with some Deatschwerks ones that I believe to be 700cc. Not sure how to confirm that yet though, and as of right now they aren't installed.

Before installing the Kraftwerks kit I was running a Tsudo UEL header/up pipe, Hooker catless front pipe, OFT tablet on e85. When I installed the Kraftwerks kit I added in the ACE A350 header at the same time.

So to be clear:

I bought a used Kraftwerks c30-94 kit that had the 20mm wide pulley set with 90mm SC pulley(I didn't even realize this until I started this thread).

One of the idler bearings had some play in it, so I bought a new set of the 30mm pulley/belt upgrade before ever installing the kit.

The only thing that doesn't match what Kraftwerks would have sent with a full new kit is the Tial QRJ recirc valve that is venting back to the intake. It has the pink 1.5 spring specific to supercharger applications.

The tune is a FNG from Delicious based on the information I provided to them. I sent logs in for review, and a new tune was sent. A few days later the weather cleared, and I ran some new logs to check things out. My car stopped making power at about 6500. It was WAY worse than the logs I have posted as far as lean condition. To be sure it wasn't just the car, I switched back to the original tune they sent me. Everything acted normal again. Since then, I have sent those new WORSE logs in for review but haven't heard back yet. I don't want to knock their work until I give them a chance to help me out. I just want a safe reliable tune.
The injectors could be anything. There is no way to tell except bench testing them. You need the original data sheet that came with those to tell. I would ask the original owner or get them bench tested locally.

The reason I ask about the tune was because a header is a significant modification that I hope DT knows about. In other words, you would receive completely different tunes based on your car having headers and a FP versus having the stock exhaust setup. It sounds like they know everything on your car at this time, except, like you, they thought you were on the base pulley.

Also, you were using e85 while NA using OFT on a single tune aka no flex tune setup, so you ran E85 exclusively, right? Or a dual tune, and you would completely deplete your tank then run 91/93, right? You don't still have E85 in your tank now, right?
Old 02-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #59
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Man, you are thinking wrong.
Cold air increases boost in a supercharged engine, I have like 350 logs in my datazap of different sc cars and turbo I tuned that could prove you wrong but still I ll enjoy the dinner with my girlfriend instead of searching for them.
It s a very basic thing actually, ask a reputable tuner since you won t trust me, and let me know what they ll say

also, who talked about power? not me
Power is relative, yoy can have more boost and make less power if the fuel doesn t hold the pressure and knocks
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #60
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The reason I ask about the tune was because a header is a significant modification that I hope DT knows about. In other words, you would receive completely different tunes based on your car having headers and a FP versus having the stock exhaust setup. It sounds like they know everything on your car at this time, except, like you, they thought you were on the base pulley.

Also, you were using e85 while NA using OFT on a single tune aka no flex tune setup, so you ran E85 exclusively, right? Or a dual tune, and you would completely deplete your tank then run 91/93, right? You don't still have E85 in your tank now, right?

Yeah they were given all the info on exactly what I have installed. I can only assume they read what info was given to them though.

I've never and still am not running any pulley other than the base 95mm pulley. The 90mm pulley has never been under the hood of my car, and I have confirmed the 95mm pulley I have installed is exactly 95mm.

I know this shouldn't have anything to do with it, but my car is a 2013, but the engine/trans is from a 2015. Previous owner of the car had the valve spring let go, dealer told him to kick rocks, and then installed a low mileage 2015.

As for previously ran e85, you are correct. I ran an OFT UEL stage whatever for e85 all spring and summer. Once we got chilly weather here last fall, then I switched over to 91 or whatever standard tune. I've run probably 5-10 tanks of 91 since then, so none should be left in the system.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #61
tomm.brz

Captain awesome, your boost curve has nothing wrong, your kit has nothing wrong. You only have a shitty tune and bad fuel delivery and/or maximized PI
Old 02-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #62
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anyone have a tuner to recommend other than Delicious? Not ready to jump ship yet, but if the radio silence continues I'd like to have someone lined up and ready.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #63
tomm.brz

Irace, remember that an engine is VOLUMETRIC but the fuel supply is managed by the MASS of the air

If you are a "science bitch" you would know what that means, and why hotter air and higher altitude bring the boost down
Old 02-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #64
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Man, you are thinking wrong.
Cold air increases boost in a supercharged engine, I have like 350 logs in my datazap of different sc cars and turbo I tuned that could prove you wrong but still I ll enjoy the dinner with my girlfriend instead of searching for them.
It s a very basic thing actually, ask a reputable tuner since you won t trust me, and let me know what they ll say

also, who talked about power? not me
Power is relative, yoy can have more boost and make less power if the fuel doesn t hold the pressure and knocks
I could imagine denser ambient air allowing the supercharger to grab more molecules of air, so I could see boost wanting to raise from that, but it also seems like the cooler air would follow basic Gay-Lussac's Law, which states that less temperature means less pressure, so at best, the two would offset each other, meaning more power with the same boost seen. But if you are saying the boost would still raise in colder conditions then I'll have to agree for now, if you have the data for that.

I think we would both agree that if ambient air was fixed then if we saw a drop in manifold air temperature with the addition of say/hypothetically a better intercooler that this would result in less boost pressure, which I know is a different scenario, but just for clarification.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #65
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Captain awesome, your boost curve has nothing wrong, your kit has nothing wrong. You only have a shitty tune and bad fuel delivery and/or maximized PI
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Anyone have a tuner to recommend other than Delicious? Not ready to jump ship yet, but if the radio silence continues I'd like to have someone lined up and ready.
Tomm.brz is right that it is either a failure in your fuel system or an inadequacy of your fuel system given the demands the tune has placed on your port injectors. I have been through this with DT; they will not increase the direct injector duration to accommodate your fueling needs. They didn't for me, and I don't think they will for you. In their opinion, the duration of the direct injectors shouldn't be open much longer than what yours are already at. Unless they changed their perspective on this, they will recommend getting larger injectors for the PSI you are at or lowering your boost. If Tomm.brz is correct then the ambient temperature where you live is cold enough to be raising your boost up enough with the 95mm pulley to cause you to hit higher boost. In that case, you either need to find a new tuner who is willing to increase your direct injector duration or you need to upgrade your fuel system.
tomm.brz (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #66
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Irace, remember that an engine is VOLUMETRIC but the fuel supply is managed by the MASS of the air

If you are a "science bitch" you would know what that means, and why hotter air and higher altitude bring the boost down
Don't get sassy sir
Old 02-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #67
tomm.brz

I think DT is not raising your DI because it screws up their maf/SD precompiled that they have for every car, all the same for everyone and they let Ecutek closed loop control to work instead of them :P
there is no problem in raising DI opening near 5.5ms or even 6ms, it just changes things because the 2 fuel system are not well scaled and calibrated already from factory
Just a question... Normally how many Releases do they take to complete a scaling/remap? not counting the extra like racerom features...

DI in our car has a loot of headroom... what, they think DI is bad? and subaru engine that have only DI should explode?
DI has a great capacity in our car and we can take advance of it
I have people regularly tracking with 1Bar of boost and DI opening at least of 5.5ms trhough limiter, and no one has had problems in years, indeed they have high ignition timings and leaner afr compared to yours and no knocks, and powerful cars.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #68
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Don't get sassy sir
Sorry for that
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #69
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I just want to add that as far as temperature goes, I have had several turbos cars I've driven from 100 degrees F to -20 degrees F. In 80 f, my 3000gt vr4 and 02 WRX felt moderately quick. At 30 degrees, they are brutal- the cold air being denser and the low IAT gives much more torque and boost builds much quicker, it's incredible.

A tune meant for summer will run lean in winter.
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #70
tomm.brz

Turbo is too different, and anyway you have tables and custom maps in ecutek that you can use to manage the difference in iat for the afr
besides that, turbo will always be tied to the wastegate, so you won t see an increase in boost but it will spin lower to reach that
that s also why, if you raised the maximum boost with an EBC, you usually make a turbo boost less than what you do at sea level, because the less denser air would make the turbo aggressively spin too much and even overboost more than the desired target if not well managed

Anyway from june 2018 (racerom 10 and above) every tuner uses the closed loop fuel control, like DT does, and your are pretty much on spot with the afr at any time, both closed and open loop, it basically transform the car in a constant closed loop state without the limitations of the subaru closed loop strategy
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-13-2020)