follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Options for removing Ecutek license?

I've read several threads on removal of Ecutek tune when returning a car to stock. I have already flashed the matching stock rom supplied by Ecutek but obviously the license remains. Also, Ecutek shows a flash count.. is that something they do on their own (similar to the license key) or is that a standard feature of the ECU that a dealer could see? I have seen some threads indicating the stock ECU doesn't have a flash counter but the threads are old so I'm wondering if the consensus has shifted on that....

I understand if I flash a bone stock factory rom (not one supplied by Ecutek) then the license will be gone. It seems this is usually done with a Tactrix cable and ECUFlash. The only hardware I have available to me is the Ecutek cable and a VCDS cable I used on my VW a few years ago.

Is there any way to flash a stock rom without buying yet another $100+ cable? Does techstream support flashing stock roms without specialized hardware?

Of course I could try to buy a used ECU off Ebay but if it's not a match for my car I'm back to the same problem needing to flash it.

Thoughts? @steve99

Thanks!
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Ecutek counter is proprietary code so won't show up on other systems
Why you want to totally remove your license? You will lose the license forever and have to buy another one if you want ecutek again
There is a way to remove it with ecutek just renaming the ecutek stock ROM file, but why you would want so if I can ask?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As above Tombrz is correct

Ill message you how to remove ecutek licience with ecutek, but note it permanent and you loose you licience. If you wanted to use ecutek again you would need to but another licience

If you did swap ecu you could liciely sell the licienced ecu to someone
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning to get my P0018 code fixed and trade in the car. I have no use for the ecutek license any more. My concern is that while debugging the cam issue the checksum won't match the stock rom image. If this likely won't be an issue then I can just leave it I suppose.
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
I'm planning to get my P0018 code fixed and trade in the car. I have no use for the ecutek license any more. My concern is that while debugging the cam issue the checksum won't match the stock rom image. If this likely won't be an issue then I can just leave it I suppose.

Ok part of the cam issue recrification proceedure can involve replacing ecu. If it warantee work then you wont get ecu back, but if its paid work they should return ecu or otger parts to you if requested
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote