follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #15
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
To be honest, a fuel pressure gauge is of limited value for daily driving. On the track? Sure... or in my case, for diagnostic purposes. I never really installed a gauge, I simply built my own gauge "receiver" with an Arduino and LCD display. I was trying to diagnose a lean condition I was experiencing so checking fuel pressure was one of the things I needed to check. I still have the sensor installed but no gauge installed. I will eventually complete my custom wiring to allow me to switch between my fuel pressure sensor and Wideband O2 sensor to log though the narrow-band O2 sensor ECU input.

-Matt
I didn't know what else to get. I have most of the important stuff covered with the first 2 gauges . Any suggestions for a different item to track?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I didn't know what else to get. I have most of the important stuff covered with the first 2 gauges . Any suggestions for a different item to track?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old school would be an amp meter.

Today, maybe a voltmeter would yield more useful information.

Kind of boring ....... but, there ya go .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #17
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If all main readings are already covered, for me would be interesting to see from non-engine things real-time temperatures of brakes and/or tires, if some sensor for that can be installed and it's readings passed to gauge, as often when arriving at pitstop temps are already cooled off. Even more so with cooling off lap. Of course, not dailydriving importance item, but would be handy for track.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:20 AM   #18
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
If you can only have 3 gauges...
Boost/AFR Like you have.
Oil temp/Press
EGT

On top of that I'd personally have water temp.
One with actual numbers, but there are other options like an OBD2 reader.

Fuel Press is nice but imo unneeded.
Maybe if you track it and are seeing enough side G to cause fuel starvation.

Gauges to help tune.
Boost
AFR
Fuel Press
EGT

Gauges to make sure the car is running ok while driving.
Boost
AFR
EGT
Oil Temp/Press
Water Temp.

Edit: If tuned properly with that boost/AFR gauge the ecu should pull boost and possibly even be able to put the car into limp mode if the car starts going lean from fuel starvation.
All of this ^^^

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
Strife26

So then it is beneficial to have EGT + AFR gauges? I had mentioned the EGT previously, but figured maybe it was overkill (and deleted the post) as what I was reading is typically you tune with one or the other.

So I can get water temp or EGT gauges instead of the fuel pressure.

Thanks so much for the help so far, everyone!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #20
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
I'd rather be harsh with the truth than have someone jump in over their head and destroy their engine.
Not saying OP doesn't, but I err on the side of caution.

If you can only have 3 gauges...
Boost/AFR Like you have.
Oil temp/Press
EGT

On top of that I'd personally have water temp.
One with actual numbers, but there are other options like an OBD2 reader.

Fuel Press is nice but imo unneeded.
Maybe if you track it and are seeing enough side G to cause fuel starvation.

Gauges to help tune.
Boost
AFR
Fuel Press
EGT

Gauges to make sure the car is running ok while driving.
Boost
AFR
EGT
Oil Temp/Press
Water Temp.

Can also throw flex fuel gauge (ethanol content) in there as well if going that route.

Edit: If tuned properly with that boost/AFR gauge the ecu should pull boost and possibly even be able to put the car into limp mode if the car starts going lean from fuel starvation.
I thank you for the concern, but I am all in regardless of my lack of knowledge. I am learning a lot and I already know some. I purchased a couple books I am finishing up too.

I was just randomly picking a gauge out of my options. The ethanol content would be nice, but I am 300 miles from the nearest E85 besides the whopping 5 gallons in my garage, heh. I believe the etune comes with E85 option too, and if not I can always get that, but it won't be often.

I do know there are two different types of injectors. I do not fully understand the difference yet, but I will read up on it to understand it better. I now know the fuel pressure gauge wasn't the best option. I am returning it for something a little easier.

After looking at my options I am going to go with Water Temp/Battery Gauge Kit. It's $50 cheaper and I have a compact Odyssey battery due to the turbo kit design. I'd like to keep track of that tiny battery, just in case.

Again, thanks a lot for all the info/help. Now I just need them to ship the damn turbo...already delayed almost a month so far.