follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #43
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This is fkn bad bro. The wheel arches look like they came off a shitty crossover.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #44
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Not being able to read Japanese (despite having spent a lot of time there), I can't tell if these are actual depictions of the car provided by Subaru, or someone's photoshop fantasy?

I have a 2019 WRX as my 'practical daily driver' in addition to a 2019 BRZ as my 'impractical fun car' (and my wife has a 2019 Crosstrek)(Yes, I know, I'm not right in the head. I'm told that often. I don't care, we like all of them). The WRX is a very different driving experience than the BRZ, in some ways better, in others not so much. Overall I find the WRX to be an impressive, fun car for the price, like the BRZ but in different ways.

Both engines are 2.0, but very different in character. It does have much more low-end torque than the BRZ, but is a typical turbo motor in that there is nothing right off idle, then a WHAM! slingshot catapult at around 2500 rpm, and then it's all pretty much over by 5000 rpm. With the nanny software pulling timing for whatever impenetrable reasons it has, power delivery is rarely smooth. It's fun and powerful, but I have to say, overall I prefer the relatively linear, smoother output of the BRZ.

Compared to the BRZ, the WRX feels much more solidly built. It's 'practical' in that it's a 4-door sedan. The backseat has reasonable room for moderately-sized people, and the trunk surprisingly spacious. But the suspension is rock-hard stiff. I find the ride OK for up to about 3 hours or so, and tiring afterwards. It's almost intolerable in the back seat, being right over the rear axle (passengers back there complain loudly of their heads hitting the roof over any bumps).

I like the WRX, but it isn't as 'practical' as I hoped it would be (at least not for this 60-ish aging body). 20- and 30-somethings would probably find it just fine, but I've got in the back of my mind (and gravitating towards the front) the need to get something a little less filling-loosening to drive.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-10-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #45
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Not being able to read Japanese (despite having spent a lot of time there), I can't tell if these are actual depictions of the car provided by Subaru, or someone's photoshop fantasy?

I have a 2019 WRX as my 'practical daily driver' in addition to a 2019 BRZ as my 'impractical fun car' (and my wife has a 2019 Crosstrek)(Yes, I know, I'm not right in the head. I'm told that often. I don't care, we like all of them). The WRX is a very different driving experience than the BRZ, in some ways better, in others not so much. Overall I find the WRX to be an impressive, fun car for the price, like the BRZ but in different ways.

Both engines are 2.0, but very different in character. It does have much more low-end torque than the BRZ, but is a typical turbo motor in that there is nothing right off idle, then a WHAM! slingshot catapult at around 2500 rpm, and then it's all pretty much over by 5000 rpm. With the nanny software pulling timing for whatever impenetrable reasons it has, power delivery is rarely smooth. It's fun and powerful, but I have to say, overall I prefer the relatively linear, smoother output of the BRZ.

Compared to the BRZ, the WRX feels much more solidly built. It's 'practical' in that it's a 4-door sedan. The backseat has reasonable room for moderately-sized people, and the trunk surprisingly spacious. But the suspension is rock-hard stiff. I find the ride OK for up to about 3 hours or so, and tiring afterwards. It's almost intolerable in the back seat, being right over the rear axle (passengers back there complain loudly of their heads hitting the roof over any bumps).

I like the WRX, but it isn't as 'practical' as I hoped it would be (at least not for this 60-ish aging body). 20- and 30-somethings would probably find it just fine, but I've got in the back of my mind (and gravitating towards the front) the need to get something a little less filling-loosening to drive.
Drop the WRX and get either a Kona N or Civic hatch. Unless the WRX becomes miraculously better next gen, it's imo no longer a bargain in the segment it competes, more of just an average to nearing below average.

I think the WRX best exists in the modified world, but then the STi is even better.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #46
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Drop the WRX and get either a Kona N or Civic hatch. Unless the WRX becomes miraculously better next gen, it's imo no longer a bargain in the segment it competes, more of just an average to nearing below average.

I think the WRX best exists in the modified world, but then the STi is even better.
The Kona N, I don't think I want another small SUV/crossover thing in the family (wife already has a Crosstrek). I'm also not a fan of DCT transmissions. Hate the jerky, uneven feel under normal driving conditions. They may be able to shift in thousandths of a second or whatever, but driving like a sane person, they have a strange, neither-in-gear-nor-out slipping clutch feel under many conditions (at least the Hyundai versions do). Taking off from a stop is an especially uncertain sensation.

I'd probably buy a Crosstrek for myself first, especially since it's available with a stick (though not with the new more powerful engine).

The Civic is an interesting option. I looked at it closely at the time along with the WRX. I came close to pulling the trigger on the Civic, but found the seats to be a little too narrow for my aging, spreading butt (though with the benefit of experience, the WRX's more comfortable seats are offset by the 'rally tuned' stiff suspension).

I drove the STi as well, just for the fun of it. You're right, it's a WRX on steroids. Intense and fun, but too harsh and intense for me as a daily driver, a stiffer ride than even the WRX (though much younger people would likely find it just fine).
Old 02-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #47
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 607 Posts
Quote:

I have the 18 Sti it`s a more rigid ride again. 2hours and i`m out of it for a stretch. The power is linear from 2000-7000 but it has a TBE, CAI and a 3PBSolenoid. It has a very usable tune. Still my Ts Brz is the track car my wife and I drive
JesseG (09-10-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #48
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah not sure about the styling of this. I remember not liking the current gen WRX when it first came out (the shit 17” wheels on the early models didn’t help), but I really like the styling now. Maybe this will look better in person.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #49
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
The Kona N, I don't think I want another small SUV/crossover thing in the family (wife already has a Crosstrek). I'm also not a fan of DCT transmissions. Hate the jerky, uneven feel under normal driving conditions. They may be able to shift in thousandths of a second or whatever, but driving like a sane person, they have a strange, neither-in-gear-nor-out slipping clutch feel under many conditions (at least the Hyundai versions do). Taking off from a stop is an especially uncertain sensation.

I'd probably buy a Crosstrek for myself first, especially since it's available with a stick (though not with the new more powerful engine).

The Civic is an interesting option. I looked at it closely at the time along with the WRX. I came close to pulling the trigger on the Civic, but found the seats to be a little too narrow for my aging, spreading butt (though with the benefit of experience, the WRX's more comfortable seats are offset by the 'rally tuned' stiff suspension).

I drove the STi as well, just for the fun of it. You're right, it's a WRX on steroids. Intense and fun, but too harsh and intense for me as a daily driver, a stiffer ride than even the WRX (though much younger people would likely find it just fine).
I'm with you on the crosstrek, I feel like they are pretty decent vehicles. If I was in the market for crossovers, it'd be between that and the Kona N, but it would depend heavily on that test drive.

The Civic is also an incredible daily car with crazy good mileage, which is a big reason I'd choose it over the current WRX.

The sedan and hatchback bodies for the Civics have a few different characteristics, especially when you consider the sedan is the only one that can come in Si, meaning LSD, better suspension etc, but the hatchback is a pretty good offering still.

This also might be a small thing, but every single thing you touch and interact with in the civic feels 100% more premium over anything Subaru.. it's weird, but immediately noticeable, even something as small as the turn signals feel more premium..
Old 02-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #50
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I'm with you on the crosstrek, I feel like they are pretty decent vehicles. If I was in the market for crossovers, it'd be between that and the Kona N, but it would depend heavily on that test drive.

The Civic is also an incredible daily car with crazy good mileage, which is a big reason I'd choose it over the current WRX.
Agree with you, both on the Crosstrek, and the Civic. My wife absolutely loves her Crosstrek (sometimes I feel jealous...). It's not a 'sports' car and certainly not anything even remotely resembling 'high performance'. But it's well-built, comfortable, great ergonomics, and very competent and capable as a practical daily driver. Whenever I drive it, my first reaction is 'this is a nice car!'.

It's also one of the few small crossovers available with a manual transmission, which is why my sister bought one. Though, thanks to the indecipherable byzantine thinking of marketing people everywhere, including Subaru, not only is the stick not available with the optional bigger 2.5 engine, it's also only paired with the lowest trim level of the Crosstrek. If they saw fit to offer the stick with the 2.5 engine, I'd probably buy one.

I test drove a Civic Si a few times. It's an impressive car. Appearance aside (those asteroid-impact craters on the bumpers are not the most beautiful design element ever to grace the roads), the build quality, fit and finish, and level of performance for a 1.5 liter engine, are eye-opening. It's a shame Honda has discontinued the coupe version, probably forever. I came very close to buying one over the WRX. The one and only thing that finally stopped me was that the Si seats seem designed for the average Japanese posterior (and the 5'6", 138 lb size of the average Japanese person; I'm well above that, both in height, and mass). My 60-ish, spreading, above-average size butt just couldn't get comfortable in the seat. I looked into modifying the seat, removing bolsters, even swapping the seat for one from a base Civic, but it wasn't viable.

A moment of silence in remembrance for the passing of the Civic Si Coupe...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-10-2021), Jordanwolf (02-27-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #51
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Render is close to real car

https://www.motor1.com/news/494711/s...rx-spy-photos/

botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to botbs For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #52
AnalogMan

if the render is close to the actual car, then it looks OK to my eyes. Similar to what Subaru did with the BRZ - a little more 'polished', maybe a bit less distinctive, overall more 'grown up'.

Let's see what engine, performance, and ride come with the new looks.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #53
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
if the render is close to the actual car, then it looks OK to my eyes. Similar to what Subaru did with the BRZ - a little more 'polished', maybe a bit less distinctive, overall more 'grown up'.

Let's see what engine, performance, and ride come with the new looks.
The WRX and STi should not look grown up though. That just looks like they slapped a scoop on the hood of any other sedan.
AnalogMan (03-16-2021), Jordanwolf (03-19-2021), Stephen W. (03-21-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #54
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The WRX and STi should not look grown up though. That just looks like they slapped a scoop on the hood of any other sedan.
Yeah the spy shots and render definately make the STI look more grown up. Its lost some of the boy-racerish vibe from the bulges and scoops of the previous gen cars.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #55
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Looks close to the concept. Does Subaru even WRC anymore? Maybe they want to be more grownup. STI could become the poor man’s M. It’ll probably sell better as a toned down sedan that can be modified than a wild looking car that can’t be toned down. Sound sacrilegious, but it makes more sense.

Attached Images

AnalogMan (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #56
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Looks close to the concept. Maybe they want to be more grownup. STI could become the poor man’s M. It’ll probably sell better as a toned down sedan that can be modified than a wild looking car that can’t be toned down. Sound sacrilegious, but it makes more sense.
Agree. Like most things in life, it comes down to money. It's easier to jazz up a more generic sedan to make it look 'racey' than to tone down an inherently more out there design. The body hard points can't be changed. Add a hood scoop, some bolt-on fender flares, the requisite body side sills, fancier wheels, and presto! Instant hot sedan.

It just might appeal to someone like me, an (ahem...) older driver who still wants a fun drive, but finds the current WRX too harsh and edgy.

Tags
rip sti, tylerlieberman is a cuck