follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
G-Loc Brake Pads. Feedback?

Shopping around for my first set of track pads, which seem hard to source here in Canada. Importing is always an option but COVID is complicating that as well.

Any constructive comments/suggestions regarding G-Loc would be appreciated.
I’ve found an Ontario dealer who is keen and provided some background on G-Loc which apparently was founded by a couple Carbotech guys a few years back.
All good but I’ve read nothing here about experiences with the product.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #2
bmacfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I installed a set this year. I have Wilwood calipers front and rear. Previously tried Hawk, Porterfield, and Wilwoods pads. All were their mild race grade compounds. I didnt care for their lack of initial bite and vague feel under hard braking. Also the rears were noisy, like a freight train trying to stop kind of noisy. Hated it!
I am using G-loc R10 all around for track use. They are better in every way. Good bite, not too much. Excellent modulation. The pedal feel is good under threshold braking. So far the wear and dusting looks reasonable... and minimal noise from the back. YAY!
I have a set of the AX compound to try yet for autocross so we'll see what those are like.
I was going to buy Carbotechs since they do a 10% discount for SCCA but then they wanted $24 for shipping. Apparently to make up for it. Every other vendor I had shopped was much less or free shipping. Not playing that game. The G-locs are same if not better quality and compound AND a good bit cheaper.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
Shneegle

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
G-Loc and Carbotech are same compounds and same family runs the companies.

I've used G-loc/Carbotech on the stock brakes and with the AP Racing sprint kit. I mostly used the R10/XP10 compound front and rear for both autox and track. Worked great for both, and they will be loud if you daily them. They really are great for track, easy to modulate and never faded them. I used them for about 3 years with great results.

Recently I've moved to Ferodo DS1.11's on the AP Racing kit and like them just a bit better than the G-Loc pads but they are much louder.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:03 AM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Great entry level pad, but do expect to outgrow them if you're going to track days with the intention of getting faster.

I know there's quite a few guys in Canada that just elect to ship in C2's for their cars, since the temperature range is wider, are generally quieter, and last way longer.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Turbo (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:04 AM   #5
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shneegle View Post
G-Loc and Carbotech are same compounds and same family runs the companies.

I've used G-loc/Carbotech on the stock brakes and with the AP Racing sprint kit. I mostly used the R10/XP10 compound front and rear for both autox and track. Worked great for both, and they will be loud if you daily them. They really are great for track, easy to modulate and never faded them. I used them for about 3 years with great results.

Recently I've moved to Ferodo DS1.11's on the AP Racing kit and like them just a bit better than the G-Loc pads but they are much louder.
What makes you like the DS1.11 better?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
Shopping around for my first set of track pads, which seem hard to source here in Canada. Importing is always an option but COVID is complicating that as well.
I believe Rock Auto ships to Canada, and they carry the Powerstop Track Day and Track Day Spec pads, which are quite good and priced very well.
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post

Any constructive comments/suggestions regarding G-Loc would be appreciated.
I’ve found an Ontario dealer who is keen and provided some background on G-Loc which apparently was founded by a couple Carbotech guys a few years back.
All good but I’ve read nothing here about experiences with the product.
Is the dealer https://www.xiiimotorsports.com/ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan55 View Post
I believe Rock Auto ships to Canada, and they carry the Powerstop Track Day and Track Day Spec pads, which are quite good and priced very well.
I've contacted Powerstop customer service before and they said that the PST (non-Spec) and PSA (Spec) models are the same compound which does not make sense. The one visual difference I can see from the product photos is that the PSA comes with shims and the PST do not. Add to the fact that user reviews reported that PST fades sooner than the PSA.
Powerstop customer service would not give me a straight answer why the rear fitment for the PP Brembo comes in both PSA and PST but the front only comes in PST. Non-brembo fitments are fine though - both PSA and PST are available front and rear.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
Muskoka800

Is the dealer https://www.xiiimotorsports.com/ ?

Thanks for the link.
Actually it turns out the the fellow I spoke to is in BC, not Ontario. And his prices seemed much higher than those show at XIII.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #9
CSG Mike

CSG regularly ships race pads to Canada @Muskoka800
Old 08-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post
I've contacted Powerstop customer service before and they said that the PST (non-Spec) and PSA (Spec) models are the same compound which does not make sense. The one visual difference I can see from the product photos is that the PSA comes with shims and the PST do not. Add to the fact that user reviews reported that PST fades sooner than the PSA.
Powerstop customer service would not give me a straight answer why the rear fitment for the PP Brembo comes in both PSA and PST but the front only comes in PST. Non-brembo fitments are fine though - both PSA and PST are available front and rear.
I had a similar interaction over the same question and came away with the conclusion that Powerstop customer service doesnt know their own product line. When I contacted them about if they were planning on releasing the Spec pad for the (very common) Front Brembo caliper on the PP, they were unaware that Spec even existed.

Its safe to assume they field calls from lifted F150 owners and hard parkers all day and the track pads are a pretty small portion of their business.

Bad customer service notwithstanding, the Track Day pads are pretty darn good. IMO most track day enthusiasts will never even outgrow them, and will save a ton of money over more hardcore race pads.
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evan55 For This Useful Post:
N_Raged (08-06-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Perry auto in Laval (in Montreal) is running a clearance on their hawk street race compound. It’s essentially the same as the DTC30 which is their entry level track pad. I have used this compound on my 8th gen SI for lapping nights with good results. I was able to pick up front and rear pads for $300cdn shipped. Check them out if you are interested.

https://perryautolaval.com/
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #12
Muskoka800

Thanks All for your input.
I’ll get my track tires then choose pads if my current ones don’t cut the mustard.

Last edited by Muskoka800; 08-14-2020 at 06:34 PM.