follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #29
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
Wow. Just wow. I'm very old and the preoccupation with how things look keeps amazing me. Like spending a pile of money to make your car sound a bit different, kind of blows my mind.

I would be interested as I do know a bit about that piece, what DSP you would consider better. That one kinda has a heavy rep, not that I have heard it.
'better' is always subjective. IMO, it's not better than a standalone DSP specifically because the eq is per-side, not per-channel. when i want to boost/drop a frequency, i want to boost it for a single set of drivers, not to all speakers. there's also what i consider a severe limitation in the fact that crossover frequency is limited to specific frequencies with no adjustability beyond those frequencies. nice if you run the typical/expected audio setups, but i don't do typical. the 80-prs that i run has the same limitations, it also lacks per-side eq, but i don't use it anyways.

i like knobs, and buttons. almost all radio's are moving towards the minimalist approach where there's less of both, and what there is, is expected to do more functions. the 99rs is one of the few radio's left that has a bunch of knobs and buttons that each do something specific.
albert (02-17-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #30
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
most people lather it on like shaving cream.

the real trick is to deaden the floppy panels.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ostcount=22629
I'm probably going to end up doing this on my CTR.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:44 PM   #31
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ostcount=22629
[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely correct! I doubt I added 10 lbs to the car with strategically placed dynamat, yet it makes a big difference. I would lightly knock on the panels along and along and identify areas where the knock produced a tinny sound or excessive vibration, and I’d add a small piece or two of the dynamat until knocking on the area produced a satisfying and quickly terminating “thud”. I also did the doors and when you close them now, it sounds like you’re closing the door of a much higher end vehicle. Applying it was fun too. Sort of like piecing together a puzzle. I’m very pleased still with the result. Plus it was a nice Saturday spending time with my son and letting him help and teach the old man a thing or two.
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willpower For This Useful Post:
albert (02-17-2021), soundman98 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #32
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Finally! Bought a BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willpower View Post

This is absolutely correct! I doubt I added 10 lbs to the car with strategically placed dynamat, yet it makes a big difference. I would lightly knock on the panels along and along and identify areas where the knock produced a tinny sound or excessive vibration, and I’d add a small piece or two of the dynamat until knocking on the area produced a satisfying and quickly terminating “thud”. I also did the doors and when you close them now, it sounds like you’re closing the door of a much higher end vehicle. Applying it was fun too. Sort of like piecing together a puzzle. I’m very pleased still with the result. Plus it was a nice Saturday spending time with my son and letting him help and teach the old man a thing or two.

That is exactly how I did mine. I may have added 3 lbs at the most. Probably not even that much.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-07-2021), Willpower (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 10:53 PM   #33
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
People complain about the stereo/speakers so much in this car... sure, it's not the best but try the speakers in the current VW GTI. You'll appreciate what we got haha.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seiryuu For This Useful Post:
JesseG (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:21 AM   #34
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I'm probably going to end up doing this on my CTR.

Nooooo!!! Don’t add weight to the CTR! Just curious, do you run the stock wheels? I think that would be the only change I would make to the CTR.

I think we should embrace the lack of sound deadening, it’s adding lightness right?!
But for real, my car is pretty damn loud on the highway, I mean loud from road noise. I have a stock exhaust. It’s almost difficult to have a conversation with someone. But usually I’m ok with that. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:21 AM   #35
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
Nooooo!!! Don’t add weight to the CTR! Just curious, do you run the stock wheels? I think that would be the only change I would make to the CTR.

I think we should embrace the lack of sound deadening, it’s adding lightness right?!
But for real, my car is pretty damn loud on the highway, I mean loud from road noise. I have a stock exhaust. It’s almost difficult to have a conversation with someone. But usually I’m ok with that. Lol

I have 3 sets of wheels, stock, winter and track/autox. 20, 18, 19.

Believe me, I enjoy the lack of sound deadening and embrace it, BUT, there is a specific range(cruising) where the car gives off a frequency that makes my ears ring, otherwise it's totally bearable, quieter than the 86 stock vs stock. I've added an exhaust though, so it's amplified the ringing enough to make me consider targeted sound deadening.

Plus, what's 10 lbs of sprung weight anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
JesseG (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #36
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
I have 3 sets of wheels, stock, winter and track/autox. 20, 18, 19.

Believe me, I enjoy the lack of sound deadening and embrace it, BUT, there is a specific range(cruising) where the car gives off a frequency that makes my ears ring, otherwise it's totally bearable, quieter than the 86 stock vs stock. I've added an exhaust though, so it's amplified the ringing enough to make me consider targeted sound deadening.

Plus, what's 10 lbs of sprung weight anyway.

Ok very nice!! You have a setup for all situations then. It’s hard to beat the CTR for an everyday sports car.
The noise at highway speeds sounds like an issue though, and I would guess it has typical Honda aggressive gearing. Great for acceleration, not so much for cruising. That is one of the problems with the twins on the highway. Even in 6th gear cruising at a relatively low speed (65-70mph) it’s not a tall enough gear. It’s the price you pay I guess for more aggressive gearing.
And you’re right, 10lbs or so won’t affect the car at all.

JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #37
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
Ok very nice!! You have a setup for all situations then. It’s hard to beat the CTR for an everyday sports car.
The noise at highway speeds sounds like an issue though, and I would guess it has typical Honda aggressive gearing. Great for acceleration, not so much for cruising. That is one of the problems with the twins on the highway. Even in 6th gear cruising at a relatively low speed (65-70mph) it’s not a tall enough gear. It’s the price you pay I guess for more aggressive gearing.
And you’re right, 10lbs or so won’t affect the car at all.

Everyday performance car*.. if you call it a sportscar around here you will be burned at the stake. Careful.

Like I said, stock vs stock, the CTR is quieter than the 86, it's just this specific frequency that is overtime painful with an aftermarket exhaust if I decide to sit at a specific low rpm.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #38
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
People complain about the stereo/speakers so much in this car... sure, it's not the best but try the speakers in the current VW GTI. You'll appreciate what we got haha.
Its like these people dont realize that a 2013ish econobox level sports car is not as refined as BMW luxury sports car that costs twice as much....its baffling....

I want my cake and eat it too!
And I also want more cake!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #39
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Car manufacturers should not be in the radio business at all. Just give me a double-din hole and I'll fill it with an aftermarket unit that does 10x as much for a 10th of the price.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
McMCOO (06-07-2021), soundman98 (01-29-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:06 PM   #40
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
Just picked up an 18 BRZ Anniversary. Drove it 800 miles to get it home. Initial impressions: 1) why is the stereo so terrible? 2) why are the gauges so hard to see during the day time? and 3) why is there little thigh support in the lower seat cushion? 800 miles hurt my hamstrings.

Otherwise, seems like a good, fun car. Looking forward to taking it to the track! (Been reading about the pedal dance).
Same, except series blue!
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #41
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Maybe I just have low standards, but the radio in mine seems fine. Then again it’s 90% Sirius Netflix stand-up, 10% jazz.
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:02 AM   #42
albert

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Yup! I think the radio is pretty decent. If not, try to listen to it when the car is not moving or with the engine off. The problem is the car's lack of acoustic... finesse? Might have to do a bit of lathering up myself here.
albert is offline   Reply With Quote