follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
Deathghat

Drives: 92 civic, 13 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Wide Body BRZ 2013

Hi, I’m new here. I just got a 2013 BRZ and I’m trying to figure out where people are buying their wide body kits / body kits. I’ll see pics of CLEAN 86s and I can’t find the name of the kit or the kits I do find arent complete or like 800 for one piece. Any guidance. I’ll also appreciate Kit recommendations!
Deathghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm pretty sure you'll find what you are wanting here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathghat View Post
Hi, I’m new here. I just got a 2013 BRZ and I’m trying to figure out where people are buying their wide body kits / body kits. I’ll see pics of CLEAN 86s and I can’t find the name of the kit or the kits I do find arent complete or like 800 for one piece. Any guidance. I’ll also appreciate Kit recommendations!
direct your widebody questions to the "widebody 86's" facebook page. the widebody discussion on the forum is 1% the size of that fb group.

as much as i would like to tell you everything there is to know, it would be a discussion with just the two of us going back and forth and you could benefit from a larger community. im being vague, but youre saying "tell me about widebodies" and its like where tf do i even begin, and thats on the off chance you ever post again and im not talking to myself right now. if youre serious tho...
Old 12-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
1: Cheap - Well fitting/Good
Pick one of the above.

2: If you are willing to dump $10k+ (yes it will cost that much to do it correctly) into your car and expect to get none of that investment back when you sell the car, go for it.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Deathghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
1: Cheap - Well fitting/Good
Pick one of the above.

2: If you are willing to dump $10k+ (yes it will cost that much to do it correctly) into your car and expect to get none of that investment back when you sell the car, go for it.
10k wtfff where does all that money go?
Old 12-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Deathghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
direct your widebody questions to the "widebody 86's" facebook page. the widebody discussion on the forum is 1% the size of that fb group.

as much as i would like to tell you everything there is to know, it would be a discussion with just the two of us going back and forth and you could benefit from a larger community. im being vague, but youre saying "tell me about widebodies" and its like where tf do i even begin, and thats on the off chance you ever post again and im not talking to myself right now. if youre serious tho...
I’ll be sure to check them out thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathghat For This Useful Post:
HaXx (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Quote:
10k wtfff where does all that money go?
The well fitting, wont crack with a minor hit body kit.
4k with shipping.

Paying someone who knows what they are doing to cut large chunks of sheet metal off the car and then paint/weld the now exposed raw metal so it doesn't rust.
Paying another person or the same from before to fit the kit properly.
Color matching the kit to the car.
Another 4-5k.

Suspension (bag or coilovers) which will probably include adjustable control arms to fix alignment.
Minimum 2k.

Big ass heavy wheels for "fitment".
2k+
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Mike_ZN6 (12-23-2020), soundman98 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Oh, at LEAST 10K. Probably take quite a bit more than that to really do it right. Unless you have a lot of skills yourself. There are a number of people who have over 100k in truly nice, wide body MR2 Spyders. But at the end of the day, it’s still an MR2 Spyder. Bastardized all to hell, but a Spyder nonetheless.
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willpower For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
HaXx

Quote:
I’ll be sure to check them out thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
alright, well seeing as you are not 1 post then gone, never seen again, im more inclined to outline some information.

you can go wide for very cheap if you do the install and wrap the car yourself. you will need to buy a couple hunderd dollars in tools, but you can do it. looking back on going wide myself, i paid to have it pro installed, and paid to have it pro wrapped. the second time around id opt to install myself, but still have it pro wrapped. chopping fenders and paying your friend to weld it, and then spraying sealant over it is not rocket science, but wrapping required finesse. id rather the finishing touches(wrapping the car) not spoil the whole thing and make the build look like trash.

im going to talk about kits, wheels, suspension, and wrap.

kits
if you want rocketbunny or rallybacker you buy them direct from japan, its easy to order. shopgreddy.com has therocketbunny kits, rallybackerusa.com has their kits. if you want a varis or aimgain, or any other rare kit, you need to go through a USA supplier that will order the kit on your behalf, sometimes they keep small inventory though.
-rocketbunny is by far the most popular, and for good reason, affordable, well fitting, tried and true. versions 1,2, and 3
-rallybacker is second popular, extremely affordable, great quality, and authentic jdm
-varis- rare shit and expensive as shit. possibly the biggest flex in terms of snapping necks
-aimgain- not too common, great kit
rocket bunny makes up ~60% of the market, rallybacker ~30% and all other kits combined make up 10% of the market. if you want your car to look like garbage, buy an ebey rep kit and i, along with everyone else will laugh at you and your car. if $3,000 is really that much money to you, this aint for you.

Wheels
you want 18x9.5+25 fronts
..............18x10.5+15 rears
or very similar. do not get wider than a 9.5 in front, as those wheels need to turn inside the wheel well, and the larger the wheel, the more things it rubs against. 10.5 and 11 are the go to sizes for rear. 275/35/18 is a great tire size for the rears, and you can get federals on ebay in that size for 100/tire. the front tires are cheaper bc they are smaller, 245's or 255's
kansai makes these spec wheels for about $1000 a set, and cosmis makes these spec for ~1,000 a set. enkei make these specs too, xxrs make similar spec too, xxr gets hate, but the fact is they are fine for daily driving. you can post a wtb ad for widebody wheels and have several options to choose from on the widebody fb page, people are constantly look to upgrade. you will need 50mm spacers on all 4 wheels, you can buy wheels in 5x100 or 5x114.3 and get conversion spacers, because you need spacers regardless
another option is forgestars in 18x9.5-25 front 18x11-6 rear with a 25mm spacer rear, very common setup and these are always available for sale used.

suspension
you can install the kit and wheels and come back to suspension later if you have to, but you NEED coilovers, or air if youre a fruitcake. BC makes great super-low coils. you will most likely want super lows. the wheels are so wide that the fenders literally have to be cut out because the wheels will be where the fenders once were. buy spc toe arms too. rlca are not a must

wrap
cheetahwrap is $400 a roll, wrapping supplies are about $100, heat gun, razors, magnets, knifeless tape, etc. id pay to have it done though

sample buiild:
rallybacker v2 full kit............................................... .$2,000
pro install........................................... ....................$2,000
Pro wrap.............................................. ...................$2,500
wheels Kansai KNP 18x9.5+22 front 18x10.5+12 rear...$1,000
tires Federal 595 275/35r18 front 255/35r18 rear...........$400
coilovers Tein/fortune auto/bc racing...........................$1,000

there are some odds and ends like spacers and toe arms, alignments, that stuffs cheap. and shop around, you can get coils used, wide spec wheels used, save some good money if youre not picky about what wheels u want, im picky though about color of wheels.

well, there u go, more information you were looking for. feel free to reply because i obviously like talking about this stuff

heres mine:
Attached Images

BigTuna (12-23-2020), JD001 (12-20-2020), Leonardo (12-20-2020), MICHAEL450f (12-20-2020), shiumai (12-20-2020), soundman98 (12-20-2020), Will BRZ (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
widebody in real life ain't like forza!
Old 12-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Deathghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
The well fitting, wont crack with a minor hit body kit.
4k with shipping.

Paying someone who knows what they are doing to cut large chunks of sheet metal off the car and then paint/weld the now exposed raw metal so it doesn't rust.
Paying another person or the same from before to fit the kit properly.
Color matching the kit to the car.
Another 4-5k.

Suspension (bag or coilovers) which will probably include adjustable control arms to fix alignment.
Minimum 2k.

Big ass heavy wheels for "fitment".
2k+
That’s VERY bold of you to assume that I’m not “someone who knows what I’m doing” to this day I have never once paid someone to do something on my car. I just pulled it into my lift at work and did it. 3-4K is max I wanna spend, I already have wheels picked out (don’t know if they are wide enough for wide body yet so I gotta put them on, I’ll wrap it myself and you’re on crack if u think I’m spending 2k on coils.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Deathghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
alright, well seeing as you are not 1 post then gone, never seen again, im more inclined to outline some information.

you can go wide for very cheap if you do the install and wrap the car yourself. you will need to buy a couple hunderd dollars in tools, but you can do it. looking back on going wide myself, i paid to have it pro installed, and paid to have it pro wrapped. the second time around id opt to install myself, but still have it pro wrapped. chopping fenders and paying your friend to weld it, and then spraying sealant over it is not rocket science, but wrapping required finesse. id rather the finishing touches(wrapping the car) not spoil the whole thing and make the build look like trash.

im going to talk about kits, wheels, suspension, and wrap.

kits
if you want rocketbunny or rallybacker you buy them direct from japan, its easy to order. shopgreddy.com has therocketbunny kits, rallybackerusa.com has their kits. if you want a varis or aimgain, or any other rare kit, you need to go through a USA supplier that will order the kit on your behalf, sometimes they keep small inventory though.
-rocketbunny is by far the most popular, and for good reason, affordable, well fitting, tried and true. versions 1,2, and 3
-rallybacker is second popular, extremely affordable, great quality, and authentic jdm
-varis- rare shit and expensive as shit. possibly the biggest flex in terms of snapping necks
-aimgain- not too common, great kit
rocket bunny makes up ~60% of the market, rallybacker ~30% and all other kits combined make up 10% of the market. if you want your car to look like garbage, buy an ebey rep kit and i, along with everyone else will laugh at you and your car. if $3,000 is really that much money to you, this aint for you.

Wheels
you want 18x9.5+25 fronts
..............18x10.5+15 rears
or very similar. do not get wider than a 9.5 in front, as those wheels need to turn inside the wheel well, and the larger the wheel, the more things it rubs against. 10.5 and 11 are the go to sizes for rear. 275/35/18 is a great tire size for the rears, and you can get federals on ebay in that size for 100/tire. the front tires are cheaper bc they are smaller, 245's or 255's
kansai makes these spec wheels for about $1000 a set, and cosmis makes these spec for ~1,000 a set. enkei make these specs too, xxrs make similar spec too, xxr gets hate, but the fact is they are fine for daily driving. you can post a wtb ad for widebody wheels and have several options to choose from on the widebody fb page, people are constantly look to upgrade. you will need 50mm spacers on all 4 wheels, you can buy wheels in 5x100 or 5x114.3 and get conversion spacers, because you need spacers regardless
another option is forgestars in 18x9.5-25 front 18x11-6 rear with a 25mm spacer rear, very common setup and these are always available for sale used.

suspension
you can install the kit and wheels and come back to suspension later if you have to, but you NEED coilovers, or air if youre a fruitcake. BC makes great super-low coils. you will most likely want super lows. the wheels are so wide that the fenders literally have to be cut out because the wheels will be where the fenders once were. buy spc toe arms too. rlca are not a must

wrap
cheetahwrap is $400 a roll, wrapping supplies are about $100, heat gun, razors, magnets, knifeless tape, etc. id pay to have it done though

sample buiild:
rallybacker v2 full kit............................................... .$2,000
pro install........................................... ....................$2,000
Pro wrap.............................................. ...................$2,500
wheels Kansai KNP 18x9.5+22 front 18x10.5+12 rear...$1,000
tires Federal 595 275/35r18 front 255/35r18 rear...........$400
coilovers Tein/fortune auto/bc racing...........................$1,000

there are some odds and ends like spacers and toe arms, alignments, that stuffs cheap. and shop around, you can get coils used, wide spec wheels used, save some good money if youre not picky about what wheels u want, im picky though about color of wheels.

well, there u go, more information you were looking for. feel free to reply because i obviously like talking about this stuff

heres mine:
Thanks for taking the time to reply and supply me with this wealth of info. I do everything myself. Never yet payed someone to do something for me and I don’t plan on it. I’m getting enkei pheonix 17x8 first, and then gonna see how that looks before I lower. Why run the risk of lowering and then getting wheels that don’t fit? Then once I’ve made that distinction I’ll look into body kits. Rocket bunny seems so mainstream like everyone has it. It’s annoying. And the v3 I think which is my fav has a notch. I haven’t looked into v1 and 2 yet but I don’t know where to buy these so. Wheel spacers are tricky cuz they can wreck your wheel bearings so I try to stay away from them. I’ll wrap it myself with 3M, and I plan on doing yellow with the top (hood, roof, trunk, mirrors, fender accent pieces) black. I have plans and am very confident in my abilities to do this I’ve just never had to before, And idk where to buy them.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Quote:
That’s VERY bold of you to assume that I’m not “someone who knows what I’m doing” to this day I have never once paid someone to do something on my car. I just pulled it into my lift at work and did it. 3-4K is max I wanna spend, I already have wheels picked out (don’t know if they are wide enough for wide body yet so I gotta put them on, I’ll wrap it myself and you’re on crack if u think I’m spending 2k on coils.
The "someone who knows what they are doing" was meant to be read as paying a shop to do it, not buba in his back yard, not a jab at you.

Yes I sorta assumed you would be paying someone to do it for you because you are asking questions that can be answered with minimal searching.
Not willing to spend 2k on good coils that wont ride like shit and will last at lowered heights also makes me think that.

Not paying someone to do something on your car says squat without context.
I hope one of these things you've done was cutting into a wrecked body panel and welding on a new blank. Then prepping said panel for paint and then color matching it to the rest of the car.

If you have, then yes, you will have no problem doing it all yourself.

I said coils AND control arms to fix alignment.
Those together with shipping will be around 2k.
Unless you go super cheap, then may as well just cut springs.

If 3-4k is your budget, the most widebody you are going to get are just fenders, not a full kit.

The wheels you already picked will barely go past the stock fender if at all.
And wheels that are deep enough without having to use spacers for the kits you mentioned are also gonna cost nearly half your budget if not a little more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Mike_ZN6 (12-23-2020), Will BRZ (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #14
HaXx

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply and supply me with this wealth of info. I do everything myself. Never yet payed someone to do something for me and I don’t plan on it. I’m getting enkei pheonix 17x8 first, and then gonna see how that looks before I lower. Why run the risk of lowering and then getting wheels that don’t fit? Then once I’ve made that distinction I’ll look into body kits. Rocket bunny seems so mainstream like everyone has it. It’s annoying. And the v3 I think which is my fav has a notch. I haven’t looked into v1 and 2 yet but I don’t know where to buy these so. Wheel spacers are tricky cuz they can wreck your wheel bearings so I try to stay away from them. I’ll wrap it myself with 3M, and I plan on doing yellow with the top (hood, roof, trunk, mirrors, fender accent pieces) black. I have plans and am very confident in my abilities to do this I’ve just never had to before, And idk where to buy them.
Great, you are better off than i was anticipating. if you do the install and wrap yourself you will save a healthy amount of money, and have a superb time falling in love with your car, turning wrenches etc. seems like the more work i personally put in on my car, the stronger the bond grows, i can only imagine the feeling of doing the entire build with my own hands.

the response you are were initially looking for:

you can get the rocketbunny kits direct from shopgreddy, thats straight from the source, but i agree the rocketbunny is played out. rallybacker is creeping up in popularity, they are basically "discovered" now, but for good reason (like rktbny), order direct from rallybackerusa.com most of the other kits you would want to get through a usa performance part supplier. a lot of the widebody manufactures websites are in japanese and you would want to communicate with a company like evasive if you were to place an order for a varis kit. there is a healthy number of people who work in the industry that monitor the widebody 86 fb page. if you reach out there, some of the plugs that work at places like system motorsports, blacklist motorsporst, autotuned, the list goes on. these people are in contact with air lift, ssr wheels, work wheels, voltex, libertywalk, greddy, hks, its literally what these people do for a living and have close professional relations with them. they will guide you through placing an order for a kit if you want something of the more curated flavor

im just going to rattle off kits for you to look into. rocketbunny, rallybacker, varis, aimgain, karma, vlene, 326power, bn sports, fly1, liberty walk, artisan spirit, veilside, lux motion, ML24, robot,

Tags
body kit, brz, stance, wide body, wide body kits