follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #29
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWhelan View Post
Thanks for confirmation! You feel much of a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also interested to hear, as the draw stiffeners are commonly quoted as being the part that makes the Ts shine brighter than the common garden BRZ.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #30
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone have the front crossmember or 4 point brace that is very similar to the draw stiffener. Wondering if it is cheaper way to get a similar effect.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #31
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
It has a similar effect, but main difference is that the STI braces make crossmember stiffer only when it is needed in cornering.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #32
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWhelan View Post
Thanks for confirmation! You feel much of a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to be honest and say I didn't feel too much of a stark difference. Although, I had quite a bit done at the same time. I had the STI V bars, tower bar, draw stiffener, header, front pipe, overpipe, etc. Swapped all around the same time. Nonetheless, the car did certainly feel more planted once the stiffeners were in. The car has always made me feel confident in corners but I would say from stock to where I am now. My confidence is tenfold from what it previously was.

As for difference makers, I almost hate giving this answer but it's true. I honestly believe everyone will give you their most noticeable difference makers when it comes to their mods. I will say however, I've done quite a bit to my car and while disappointing in some areas and amazing in others, each mod never ceases to surprise me.

Off the top of my head (I'm not tuned yet by the way):

Michelin PS4s
DSS 1 Piece Carbon Driveshaft
TRD Intake
STI short shifter with TRD shifter bushing
STI Muffler (purely growl)

those right now are what stick out to me the most in regards to performance differences. Granted, I love some of my other mods so much but they aren't performance related.

On the flip side however, most will tell you a header and tune are the best things you can do to your car. Here's where I beg to differ. Now to be fair, money spent does not always equate to quality improvement. However, I have one of the most expensive exhaust setups on the market utilizing Fujitsubo front to back (sans OEM midpipe). Yet still, I would argue when I swapped over to Fuji header, overpipe, front pipe, and STI muffler. I felt less of a difference in driving then when I was completely stock and swapped to my TRD intake. I know, I know, that sounds ridiculous but hey I'm just giving you my 2 cents. Not that it's worth much but that's where I stand with some of my experiences.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #33
nikitopo

I agree with the above. In overall, some of the tS parts are just to make the car easier drivable and increase your confidence. Does this really matter? If you are running 10 laps and every lap is in average a bit better cause of the better confidence, then overall you have a better timing. In a day to day drive scenario the draw stiffeners will not be that noticeable, but other parts like a carbon driveshaft or the thicker STI axle shafts will give a feeling of better response.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #34
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I agree with the above. In overall, some of the tS parts are just to make the car easier drivable and increase your confidence. Does this really matter? If you are running 10 laps and every lap is in average a bit better cause of the better confidence, then overall you have a better timing. In a day to day drive scenario the draw stiffeners will not be that noticeable, but other parts like a carbon driveshaft or the thicker STI axle shafts will give a feeling of better response.

Awesome, increase in confidence is exactly what I want! I don’t care about lap times, I care about how it feels.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-04-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #35
Deardorf

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series Hyperblue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I couldn't wait to see the new TS and the ceramic white in person. It's totally subjective, but I much prefer solid color paint over metallic-anything. The white on the TS is special-but only because Subaru offers almost zero paint in non metallic! I drive a Series Hyper-Blue-and seeing the color of that car makes me happy every time I walk up to it.

I just finished last night, installing the big brembos from the PP off a 2017 Japan market STI. I got the wheels, black 18" STI, and the F/R brakes, backing plates, rotors, calipers, etc. Those wheels same as the Bronze that come on the new TS. I'm not a fan of the Bronze wheels, but they do make a tasteful, subtle statement w/the ceramic white on the TS. I applaud Subaru for taking a chance on this and it does set the car apart.

Muscling the 18" wheels, tires, heavier calipers and rotors around while I did the upgrade made me very aware of a lot of extra weight I was clamping onto the 4 corners of my car. The low weight of the BRZ works with the lower torque and power-but there I go messing with it! We'll see once the pads and rotors are bedded in and I get a better bleed on brakes. But I wouldn't trade my Hyper Blue for a new TS if I could. Money no object and more garage space-I'd take a TS in a second and keep my Hyperblue!
Deardorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #36
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorf View Post
Muscling the 18" wheels, tires, heavier calipers and rotors around while I did the upgrade made me very aware of a lot of extra weight I was clamping onto the 4 corners of my car. The low weight of the BRZ works with the lower torque and power-but there I go messing with it!
I was considering doing the same, but adding the extra weight was always a step back.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #37
kaputt

Drives: Civic Sport; seeking weekend car
Are folks able to get deals on the Ts models? There a decent amount on the lot around me (SoCal). I’m back in the market again after getting shut out last year of the last red BRZs and my BMW back to pissing me off.

I think the pure white on the Ts looks amazing.
kaputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #38
soopacake

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ tS
I was able to get $1600 off my tS last week. I had another quote from a dealer in another state that was over 2 hrs away that was offering $2000 off. I took the local one because for me it was worth the $400 to have the dealer be only 25 min away and it made car registration much easier by buying in the same state.
soopacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soopacake For This Useful Post:
kaputt (05-06-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:52 AM   #39
Alistia

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ tS
I got my 2020 BRZ tS for $29.7K in March, was sticker at $33,995 (came factory with short throw shifter) - I was waiting for the new engine gen 2 but I couldnt walk away with this kinda of car at that price... been waiting since 2014.

Only mod thus far has been a Green Filter, Rokblokz mud guards (these tires are crazy sticky and just throw everything), and Xpel Ultimate PPF (Full front clip).
Alistia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alistia For This Useful Post:
g e (05-08-2020), kaputt (05-09-2020), Lantanafrs2 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #40
JCC

Drives: 2016 ice silver metallic

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #41
kaputt

Drives: Civic Sport; seeking weekend car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistia View Post
I got my 2020 BRZ tS for $29.7K in March, was sticker at $33,995 (came factory with short throw shifter) - I was waiting for the new engine gen 2 but I couldnt walk away with this kinda of car at that price... been waiting since 2014.

Only mod thus far has been a Green Filter, Rokblokz mud guards (these tires are crazy sticky and just throw everything), and Xpel Ultimate PPF (Full front clip).
Pretty good deal, did that $29.7k number include destination?
kaputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #42
Vides990

Drives: 13 BRZ (sold) 20 BRZ TS (sold)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I got mine for 1500 under invoice, no complaints for sure.
Vides990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vides990 For This Useful Post:
JCC (05-09-2020), Lantanafrs2 (05-15-2020)