follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #7953
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarzCarzCarz View Post
Wait, why do you jack up each side individually? Just go from the center of the diff and lift the whole back end at once. Worked well for me.

Check the thread for which is worse, overfill or under. I can't remember which is worse (I think it was overfilling).
My jack won't quite reach the differential pumpkin in the rear. So unless i'm missing some sort of magical jack point in the rear (outside of the pumpkin) then I'm stuck with jacking up each side at the side-skirt location.

..At least until I purchase a lift in the fall.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #7954
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
My jack won't quite reach the differential pumpkin in the rear. So unless i'm missing some sort of magical jack point in the rear (outside of the pumpkin) then I'm stuck with jacking up each side at the side-skirt location.

..At least until I purchase a lift in the fall.
I have never bothered to jack the rear end of the car up to make the s/c level as when I went to Sprintex one time and they topped the oil for me and they just did it on flat ground and filled it to the dot on the sight glass.

I have nearly 50k km on mine with no probs and if they did it like that it's good enough for me .
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #7955
Vten

Drives: Too heavy
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Anyone know where to get the sight glass replacement for the 210 blower ? Mine is leaking oil ... thx
Vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #7956
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
I have never bothered to jack the rear end of the car up to make the s/c level as when I went to Sprintex one time and they topped the oil for me and they just did it on flat ground and filled it to the dot on the sight glass.

I have nearly 50k km on mine with no probs and if they did it like that it's good enough for me .
My SC was an earlier model which didn't have the sight glass, so had to jack the car up to check the dipstick. Glad they added a sight glass as checking the oil level was a pain with that tiny hard to read dipstick.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #7957
ajcarson11

For anyone who has switched out the stock intake for an aftermarket intake: how much more SC noise did this swap introduce?

The child in me wants to hear more of that whine...

I figure that any intake change would require a re-tune. So trying to determine if its worth time/money -- If the increase is worth it, then perhaps!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:42 AM   #7958
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
For anyone who has switched out the stock intake for an aftermarket intake: how much more SC noise did this swap introduce?

The child in me wants to hear more of that whine...

I figure that any intake change would require a re-tune. So trying to determine if its worth time/money -- If the increase is worth it, then perhaps!
Yes a metal intake increases the supercharger whine. See my videos on youtube if you'd like to hear it. Compared to the other guy that had one in my area with the stock intake it was no comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jreed187 then go to the uploads section.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #7959
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
Yes a metal intake increases the supercharger whine. See my videos on youtube if you'd like to hear it. Compared to the other guy that had one in my area with the stock intake it was no comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jreed187 then go to the uploads section.
Thanks! Sounds great in your videos. So, you're referring to the metal intake runner which runs from airbox to throttle body, yes? Do you think it would make a difference even with the stock airbox? I ask because I see from your videos that you might be running a Perrin cai.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #7960
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks! Sounds great in your videos. So, you're referring to the metal intake runner which runs from airbox to throttle body, yes? Do you think it would make a difference even with the stock airbox? I ask because I see from your videos that you might be running a Perrin cai.
Converting the stock airbox to a metal intake+filter like the Perrin or Moto East is what will give you the largest sound difference. Keeping the stock box and getting a metal pipe to replace the plastic one won't have as much of a difference, plus good luck finding one. I have one of the few that were made by Nameless.

The Perrin intake is inconvenient to clean as you need to remove your front bumper to get to it. Even though the Moto East intake would take in more hot air because of it being inside the engine bay, the filter is simple to access and probably would have went with it instead if it was available back when I swapped. Also stick with the 2.5 instead of the 3" since you won't see any benefit from it from what I've heard.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #7961
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
Converting the stock airbox to a metal intake+filter like the Perrin or Moto East is what will give you the largest sound difference. Keeping the stock box and getting a metal pipe to replace the plastic one won't have as much of a difference, plus good luck finding one. I have one of the few that were made by Nameless.

The Perrin intake is inconvenient to clean as you need to remove your front bumper to get to it. Even though the Moto East intake would take in more hot air because of it being inside the engine bay, the filter is simple to access and probably would have went with it instead if it was available back when I swapped. Also stick with the 2.5 instead of the 3" since you won't see any benefit from it from what I've heard.
Thanks! I'll stick with what i've got for now... It would probably complicate the tune and would be $300 + locating a charge pipe to get all of that in place.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #7962
Kenny_LongWrench
Tacticool_BRZ

Drives: ZC6 - AW11
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Where is everyone sourcing replacement parts? Can't seem to get a hold of Sprintex directly. Looking for new manifold seals.
Kenny_LongWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #7963
sanbaifo
Apex Premeditator

Drives: ZC6-C5AE-C7Z51-E36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mcmaster.com/
sanbaifo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sanbaifo For This Useful Post:
Kenny_LongWrench (06-27-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 01:00 AM   #7964
Docmattic

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone else find their car runs fairly rough until it reaches optimal operating temperatures?

Until my car is warm, my car runs very poorly under 3k rpm, nearly like its coughing and spluttering and struggling to accelerate. Also, if I try to keep the revs at an even 3k rpm (to maintain speed) the tachometer bounces a bit. I don't expect it to have full power, but running smoothly would be nice.

I just want to work out what is wrong. After the car is warm the problems go away. Searching for possible answers. The tuner seems to think the tune is fine...not sure i'm convinced but I thought I'd explore other options.

Also have aftermarket header and catback.
Docmattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #7965
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
Does anyone else find their car runs fairly rough until it reaches optimal operating temperatures?

Until my car is warm, my car runs very poorly under 3k rpm, nearly like its coughing and spluttering and struggling to accelerate. Also, if I try to keep the revs at an even 3k rpm (to maintain speed) the tachometer bounces a bit. I don't expect it to have full power, but running smoothly would be nice.

I just want to work out what is wrong. After the car is warm the problems go away. Searching for possible answers. The tuner seems to think the tune is fine...not sure i'm convinced but I thought I'd explore other options.

check your blower oil.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #7966
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post

On pump gas 93 I have significant stutters/hesitations in my tune when my car is cold. 70% of it goes away when the car is warm.

On e85 the rev range is butter smooth in comparison.

Just my experience.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.