follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #29
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Do you actually drive through that??
Something like that is no problem on quality winter tires.

I went driving for fun in a blizzard last year, passing a fair number of stuck SUVs and crossovers that were driving on all-seasons.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Do you actually drive through that??
Yep. Minimum of 14 hours/930 miles a week for at least 3 months of the year (except this year where it hasn't really snowed yet).

My old Lancer GTS with a 2 inch drop. Dug it out and drove 2 hours to my farthest plant. Did the same with the FRS last winter but do not have pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #31
steeloyangster

Drives: 14' FRS 6MT; 16' WRX 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I live in Minnesota where the winters can get well below 0f and the snow storms can add many inches/feet to the roads. In my first year of owning the FRS I was able to daily my car pretty reliably with the stock all-season Bridgestone Turanza's (In the north most FRS's came with All-Seasons) with the exception of when the snow was above 5". I must admit that the Bridgestones did a decent job all through winter.

My second winter I decided to go with Michelin X-Ice Xi3's and wow was I impressed! These skinny tires can grip so well even going up icy hills. They're relatively cheap and perform fantastically in moderate snow and icy conditions. Having a set of proper winter tires is a must during cold seasons even if you don't get heavy precipitation. Winter tires tend to stay softer and offer more grip during really cold seasons below freezing.

Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT just get two winter tires for the rear wheels. Winter tires don't just give you traction when accelerating or braking. They also give you cornering abilities in inclement weather conditions. Good luck on finding a good set and have a happy winter, not a scary one!
steeloyangster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steeloyangster For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-06-2016), Th3rdSun (01-05-2016), tvrbob86 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #32
DavidBob

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Two weeks after getting my license last year I drove my brz on stock tires down to philly to my dads it's about 100 miles in the snowstorm we had right before thanksgiving. This cars fine in the snow you just need to be very carefully and slow with accelerating and braking. I would definitely recommend getting snow tires though. Goodluck
DavidBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #33
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It's not the car having problems. It's the tires.
Cheer up! The snow here only lasted a couple of hours and now it's gone.
Back to drizzly 40s for the foreseeable future.
Some all season tires will have much better low temp grip for typical Seattle conditions.
We rarely see snow or ice for more than a couple days. None at all last year.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #34
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have winter tires on mine and while it's better than running stock tires,it's still not all that good,but I kind of attribute that to how light the car is. Gonna put two 50lbs sand bags in the back before the next snowfall to see how much of a difference that makes.Worst case scenario,I'm out 16 bucks.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #35
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanbaifo View Post
tires tires tires tires
tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tyres tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pushrod For This Useful Post:
PhantomX (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #36
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo"]RWD and winter tyres VS 4WD and summer tyres on snow - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carma143 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-06-2016), RobertPaulson (01-06-2016), Sarlacc (01-06-2016), Tcoat (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #37
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
am I the only crazy one that loves sliding this car when there's snow with stock tires on quiet side streets?!? (safely and in control on relatively flat roads of course )

But yea...since there's no grip whatsoever even with 1cm of snow, you'll get stuck with the slightest slope on a driveway so you'll have to finesse the car out careful without spinning out of control
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #38
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Continental ice Viking ebay specials - They are cheap and they work well. I spent 248 for all four in 16 inch tire size for my beater forester.

Change all four tires to winter tires and use some sandbags. Should be able to get through most of the bad stuff until you start pushing with the bumper....then you might get highsided in packed snow.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #39
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
4 would be even better, because steering is helpful.
Steering is overrated.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #40
PhantomX
INTJ

Drives: 2017 86 860
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've been driving around with my stock tires. I just got two 60lb pea gravel bags in the trunk. Not only does it help with the RWD grip, but balances out the car more.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #41
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tyres tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires tires

what are tyres?
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
pushrod (01-05-2016), Sarlacc (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #42
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFlex View Post
I live in CT but haven't installed snows since there has only been one messy day all year and nothing in the forecast. Our other car is a Wrangler anyway. Yesterday was our coldest day yet - down in the 20s. I took the FRS to work and when I got on the highway I ended up almost sideways on a ramp where I've never even seen the traction light come on before. Learned my lesson - Those Primacy's are slippery when cold.
Old heat cycled Direzzas here. The past few days feel like you're driving an 1800hp muscle car! These cars don't need more power, they need worse road conditions.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote