follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #43
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
my pickup truck has oem black plastic fender flares that have seriously faded into an abysmal grey. are you saying there's someone rubbing windshield wiper fluid on my fender flares when i'm not looking?
Sounds like every Avalanche built before they took off the plastic cladding. I've seen a couple of Avalanche's redone with ArmorThane that looked perfect, and seemed to last.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #44
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
All I'm saying is that the alcohol in the washer fluid has a major factor in the discolouration of the plastic; with that said, of course there are also multiple variables that contributes to this (eg. lack of TLC maintenance, parked outside under the UV rays, etc)... We are on the topic of the cowl right?

For your fender flares, it's obviously unlikely the windshield fluid, more likely the sun UV but I'll let you figure that one out.
i've had a number of vehicles where the plastic discolors. all i'm saying is blaming wiper fluid seems like a red herring.
Decep (06-25-2021)
Old 10-09-2020, 11:32 PM   #45
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
i've had a number of vehicles where the plastic discolors. all i'm saying is blaming wiper fluid seems like a red herring.

Take it as you will, it's just my suggestion; don't have to listen to me

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #46
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ouch, that Project Farm video really pooped on 303. Been using it inside and out on every plastic part. Outside, it seems like it really is doing nothing on that video.
Bought a gallon of that and their fabric guard and have been using it for years now. Looks like it's Cerakote wipes from now on.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #47
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good comparison. I have a bottle of Mother's Back to Black that isn't a spray - it's more of a lotion. I've had really good results with it, but it's a few years old. I'm wondering now if they still make it. I'll be checking out Cerakote when I run out.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:30 PM   #48
Spankopotomous

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I used AMMO Tire Mud with a foam applicator, its a dark cream/lotion that saturates the faded black plastic and provides a dull shine.

Worked great on my cowl, mirrors and rear valance.
Spankopotomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:27 PM   #49
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
Good comparison. I have a bottle of Mother's Back to Black that isn't a spray - it's more of a lotion. I've had really good results with it, but it's a few years old. I'm wondering now if they still make it. I'll be checking out Cerakote when I run out.
they do still make/sell it. i use it on the truck fender flares about once a year when i get the overwhelming urge to repaint the plastic after looking at it faded for 8 months, but don't want to deal with pulling and resetting the trim clips. or discovering the lurking rust that's behind them.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #50
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don’t remember where I saw it but there is a permanent fix that is like a paint for the plastic that restores it to back to new. But you need to tape off the the other parts, so it’s not as easy on just wiping it on.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #51
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Don’t remember where I saw it but there is a permanent fix that is like a paint for the plastic that restores it to back to new. But you need to tape off the the other parts, so it’s not as easy on just wiping it on.
about 14 posts back

Quote:
I'm currently using eastwood plastic resurfacer on a project. Great results so far

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-...k-aerosol.html
Old 10-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #52
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Best way is to never let it fade to begin with. Almost impossible to restore back to factory look and have it stay that way. I have had some success with SONAX Plastic Restorer Gel.

Windshield wiper fluid with alcohol in it will discolor the plastics around your windshield for sure. Rain-x wiper fluid is also dynamite and will stain black plastics so I would avoid that. Overall though the most damaging thing is unprotected plastic in UV.

I use various 303 products on my interior stuff, but on any exterior plastic I have been using Wolfgang exterior trim sealant with a lot of success.

My dad just got a 2020 Chevy Blazer and it has a silly amount of black plastic on the body. Tried out Carpro Dlux ceramic coating for the plastic and wheels and eager to see how it holds up after a year.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:50 AM   #53
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
Much has changed since this topic was posted. For those who want to bring back the blackness of the plastic trims, the best product as of todate is https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerako...-trim-coat-kit. It is a ceramic coating for plastic trims. As soon as you apply it, it gives a rich black wet-look finish (for a more matte look, it needs to be wiped down). It is said to last more than 200 washes. It's been 3 months since I've applied it on the plastic trims like front bumper grill, fog light bezels, windshield cowls, mud guards, and even the rear bumper and have washed the car at least 4x. I'm happy to say that it does hold up very well unlike the "back to black" from Meguiar's & Mother's that only last for a few days. Another positive about CERAKOTE is it's quite inexpensive at $20 with 10 applicator wipes which is more than enough to be used on our cars for 2-3 times. You can check out the reviews of pro detailers on YouTube & skip the ones done by amateurs as they tend to mess up the application process that can cause streaking from uneven application.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 06-24-2021 at 06:06 AM.
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-24-2021), spcmafia (06-24-2021), Stonehorsw (07-01-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:42 AM   #54
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There's two types of plastic trim - one is a dye which you will have to tape off the adjacent areas, and another is a typically clear/translucent lotion which the damaged plastic surface absorbs it.

I have not tried any dye solutions but for the latter you'll need to thoroughly clean the surface, apply and work the lotion into the surface multiple times. Depending how bad the initial conditions it'll look better and last about a few months after.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #55
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
Much has changed since this topic was posted. For those who want to bring back the blackness of the plastic trims, the best product as of todate is https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerako...-trim-coat-kit. It is a ceramic coating for plastic trims. As soon as you apply it, it gives a rich black wet-look finish (for a more matte look, it needs to be wiped down). It is said to last more than 200 washes. It's been 3 months since I've applied it on the plastic trims like front bumper grill, fog light bezels, windshield cowls, mud guards, and even the rear bumper and have washed the car at least 4x. I'm happy to say that it does hold up very well unlike the "back to black" from Meguiar's & Mother's that only last for a few days. Another positive about CERAKOTE is it's quite inexpensive at $20 with 10 applicator wipes which is more than enough to be used on our cars for 2-3 times. You can check out the reviews of pro detailers on YouTube & skip the ones done by amateurs as they tend to mess up the application process that can cause streaking from uneven application.
I tried their headlight coating kit and it worked pretty well. Sanding supplies could have been better but it worked. I missed a spot in the upper corners so of course i have some fading there but the parts i adequately covered are holding strong. Wouldn't hesitate to try their other stuff, but you do need to be very thorough in cleaning and degreasing if you're using ceramic coating.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:46 PM   #56
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I tried their headlight coating kit and it worked pretty well. Sanding supplies could have been better but it worked. I missed a spot in the upper corners so of course i have some fading there but the parts i adequately covered are holding strong. Wouldn't hesitate to try their other stuff, but you do need to be very thorough in cleaning and degreasing if you're using ceramic coating.
As per instructions, it's recommended to wash the trim area with a dish soap in order to remove any oils & waxes for it to completely adhere on to.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote