follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
jmai

Drives: 2019 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
STI Short Shifter

Anyone here have the OEM STI short shifter? (C1010CA100). Already have mtec springs and shifter bushing installed and was curious to how would this compliment them.

Also already looked at IRP and Kartboy but wasn’t a fan of the rattling issues they have
jmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have the JDM TRD Short Shifter Column, MTEC shift springs, Perrin rear mount, and Cusco Trans Mount. Seems to work fine. Used to have the USDM TRD Short Shifter Kit and Whiteline Trans Mount before I swapped them out.

I think the short shifter was more suited to my driving preferences. Next to that, the most noticeable effects in feel probably came from the transmission mount and shifter springs.

Gating effort is a little higher then the stock shifter, but it's hard to remember what stock shifter used to feel like. I've had the USDM TRD Short Shifter Kit on for 3 years until I switched to the full column a month ago
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:08 AM   #3
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
I do have JDM one (ST35010AS000 which I believe is no different to the USA model). Obviously feels good with mtec springs and shifter bushings but don't expect much - It's very subtle change. If you're after noticeably shorter throws this one might not be for you. Rattles happen with my unit too but usually around 6k RPM (stock one rattled more iirc)
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:24 AM   #4
jmai

Drives: 2019 PP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkubi View Post
I do have JDM one (ST35010AS000 which I believe is no different to the USA model). Obviously feels good with mtec springs and shifter bushings but don't expect much - It's very subtle change. If you're after noticeably shorter throws this one might not be for you. Rattles happen with my unit too but usually around 6k RPM (stock one rattled more iirc)
Hm, would you say it’s worthwhile to upgrade from stock? Not really going after the shorter throws, but just want to add to the feel of the stock shifter
jmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:15 AM   #5
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
Hm, would you say it’s worthwhile to upgrade from stock? Not really going after the shorter throws, but just want to add to the feel of the stock shifter
I'd say that it's not worth it for me. I've had mtec springs, perrin front shifter bushing and whiteline insert before install and it felt great with stock shifter. Once I've upgraded to the STI unit the most noticeable was that the shifter got a little bit more notchy and not so much shorter or firmer. Sure this little throw reduction is nice (once the trans fluid is hot) but I'm not sure if 300 USD (or whatever the price is on those right now) nice
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote