follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2019, 05:03 AM   #1
Pizzachicken

Drives: Asphalt '16 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with Installing Component Speakers

So I've had a terribly hard time installing a simple set of 2 way component speakers, mainly running the tweeter from the door into the cabin. If anyone has tips on how to do so more easily do so please let me know, but what I want to ask is:

Is there be negative effect in simply wiring these 2 way speakers to the factory harnesses instead? As in, woofer to door connector, tweeter to dash plug. When comparing how the tweeter sounded connected to the woofer as intended vs connecting the tweeter to the dash harness, it sounded not as bright and with a bit of lower frequencies filtered out, or just slightly less great - I think at least, unsure of placebo, but that is why I decided to go with the door route. My skepticism comes from not understanding how the dash speakers wiring works, I just plugged +/- into the 4 pin plug.

If true, would there be a reason to why this is, such as built in capacitors in the stock wiring or the impedance of 2 separate speakers on the same channel? Don't actually understand how that works, just looking for a "Yes it would be perfectly fine", or a "No, you wouldn't be getting the full potential of the components in doing so."

For anyone that's installed a component set, how did go about it?
Pizzachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have components on mine. I wouldn't connect the aftermarket tweeters to your stock harness. You spent the money on components so you should get the best performance. I replaced the OEM tweeters with my components tweeters. To run the wires, I used 3 long zip ties zipped together like a long line and fed it through the hole that's right next to the OEM tweeters harness. It should lead down to the kick panel area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Pizzachicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter X View Post
I have components on mine. I wouldn't connect the aftermarket tweeters to your stock harness. You spent the money on components so you should get the best performance. I replaced the OEM tweeters with my components tweeters. To run the wires, I used 3 long zip ties zipped together like a long line and fed it through the hole that's right next to the OEM tweeters harness. It should lead down to the kick panel area.

Ah okay, did you have any trick to getting the wires through the door grommet then? I tried all last night and couldn't seem to get it. Did you remove both grommets and the white plastic piece by the kick panel?
Old 12-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzachicken View Post
Ah okay, did you have any trick to getting the wires through the door grommet then? I tried all last night and couldn't seem to get it. Did you remove both grommets and the white plastic piece by the kick panel?

Those door grommets are a PITA. I put turn signals in my side mirrors and did it the lazy way and just shoved them to the side. Well, enough closing and opening the doors it cut the wire. So I did it the right way finally.

Need to remove the black tape on the grommet (between the door and fender). Slide the top grommet into the door itself (I think I used some grease here but not a whole lot). Compress the grommet, then slide wire through.

Once you get the wire through, slide a coat hanger into the bottom of the grommet near the kick panel and then pull it into the car. Slide top part back to meet the bottom part and tape back up.
Pizzachicken (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
Drifter X

I had an extremely hard time with the grommet part...I just made two holes on the outside of the boot, one on the door side and one on the car side and just ran the wires on the alongside of the boot. Not ideal. I know. But I was at my wits end with it. But I did comment on a post about another person that was able to get it done. I included the thread. I hope it helps. Don't give up. It's doable!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...60#post3274260
The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter X For This Useful Post:
Pizzachicken (12-09-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
Pizzachicken

Quote:
I wouldn't connect the aftermarket tweeters to your stock harness. You spent the money on components so you should get the best performance.
You mentioned "best performance" Would tapping the crossover into the factory wiring that leads to the door speakers, so that the wire output is delivering to two speakers not yield the same result? Would I be robbing power of the woofers or something?
Old 12-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
Drifter X

Help with Installing Component Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzachicken View Post
You mentioned "best performance" Would tapping the crossover into the factory wiring that leads to the door speakers, so that the wire output is delivering to two speakers not yield the same result? Would I be robbing power of the woofers or something?

Wait. Do you have an aftermarket amp powering the components? If you don't then I guess tapping the the wire to the woofers with the crossovers should work.

Last edited by Drifter X; 12-12-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #8
Pizzachicken

Quote:
Wait. Do you have an aftermarket amp powering the components? If you don't then I guess tapping the the wire to the woofers with the crossovers should work.

I have an aftermarket head unit with a built in amp of 50x4 RMS. I will try that tomorrow if you say so. In the trunk of the car I've bypassed the factory amp by routing input/output pins together, which is where I plan to tap the crossover. Any objections?

Last edited by Pizzachicken; 12-12-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
no objections