follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Talking (GOOD QUESTION) Which Spring make a higher front bumper? Tein H tech, RS-R or Swift?

I have an FR-S with Five Axis Body Kit. Now I am thinking to drop it by lowing springs. However, I am not going to make my front bumper too low cuz I will have to park on my driveway ramp everyday. The front bumper on my old car was too low and they almost went off after half a year.

Here are three options that I am considering about.

link: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8739

(1) RS-R S/Down 1.0"/3.2k 1.2"/4.5k
(2) Swift Sport FRS 1.0"/3.0k 1.0"/4.5k
(3) Tein H-Tech *NOTE* 1.0"/2.9k 0.8"/4.8k

(FOR the Tein, all other website said that they are 1.0 front and 0.8 rear drop.But in the link above, it said 0.9 front, 0.7 rear.)

These three type of lowing spring all drop 1.0'' front; however, the rear drop are different. Here are my questions.

Question 1: I am thinking that whether dropping more on the rear will make the car kinda "Raise Head" in order to make my front bumper a little bit higher?(Please see my diagram below in the attachment).

Question 2: If the answer of question 1 is a "No", which means the front drop and rear drop does not affect each other, then here is another question: Does that answer also mean "1.0 front and 1.2 rear drop" will not result in a lower front bumper that "1.0 front, 0.8 rear drop"?

I do want to gain more oversteer cuz I'v changed 225/40R18 front tire and 245/40r18 rear tires on 18X8.5 +44 and 18X9.5 +38 rims for look already. So soft front and hard rear spring will be what I am going to consider.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.

Last edited by Figo; 08-13-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Figo For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
KKaWing

Drives: Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ/FR-S Suspension Options List (Springs and Coilovers) - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

^^^ Good place to look at spring rates (might need a few updates but still useful). Also look into alignment (and I don't mean back to stock). It might help with what you are looking for.
KKaWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I love your drawings! Sweet.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Our RCE yellow springs only lower 20mm front and rear. It's a good look IMO.

They have even rates front and rear...but you won't have understeer because we also include shortened bumpstops. Soft front springs with a drop will be bumpstop active and the bumpstops are pretty firm.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Figo

This link is actually in my thread. hah. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKaWing View Post
BRZ/FR-S Suspension Options List (Springs and Coilovers) - Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

^^^ Good place to look at spring rates (might need a few updates but still useful). Also look into alignment (and I don't mean back to stock). It might help with what you are looking for.

DAEMANO (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Figo

I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I love your drawings! Sweet.

DAEMANO (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Figo

lol, these r the only lower spring with even spring rate... I just can not agree that other factories are all wrong...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Our RCE yellow springs only lower 20mm front and rear. It's a good look IMO.

They have even rates front and rear...but you won't have understeer because we also include shortened bumpstops. Soft front springs with a drop will be bumpstop active and the bumpstops are pretty firm.

- Andy

DAEMANO (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
KKaWing

Drives: Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oops didn't see the link :p

You could also use swaybars to tune it after you get springs and they're not exactly to your liking. A bit of a hassle to install though.
KKaWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
lol, these r the only lower spring with even spring rate... I just can not agree that other factories are all wrong...lol
I'm not saying everyone else is all wrong. I'm saying that our springs don't understeer and explaining why. Honestly, ours are similar feeling to stock when you take the bumpstops and shock travel into account (which you should).

But everyone has different design goals and methods. Good luck in your search.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Figo

Yep, rear sway bar. Thats what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKaWing View Post
Oops didn't see the link :p

You could also use swaybars to tune it after you get springs and they're not exactly to your liking. A bit of a hassle to install though.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
console_cowboy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would have to really suggest the RCE Yellow springs. The shortened bumpstops really do help with keeping a totally factory feel. I have had them on my car for several months and they perform great. The drop is fairly small, which would also assist with your body kit. And like others have said, if you find that you can not rotate with the RCE Yellows, add a rear swaybar. I'm running a very similar wheel setup as well, with 245/35/18 tires on 18x8.5" front wheels and 255/35/18 on 18x9.5" rear wheels, so I have a good idea of a staggered setup on RCE Yellow springs.

Those guys really did their research. I've talked to them on the phone and through email during the car's setup and they've been super helpful and knowledgeable.

Don't forget that your alignment will play a huge part in this too. You really need to considering adding a way to adjust your camber on all four wheels. It is very helpful to tuning the feel of the car.
console_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to console_cowboy For This Useful Post:
Figo (08-13-2013), Racecomp Engineering (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Figo

Thank you for your advice man, and thank you for ur advice in another thread hah. I will get my rims at the end of September, so I still have over one month to struggle on it. lol. Actually I did not plan to get things like control arms. A rear sway bar sounds good to me. hah.

Its actually the first time I own a Rear wheels drive car. And it is the first time I own a new car too。 I financed it only 1 month after I graduated. So I love it! and would like to make it perfect.

Did you try sliding ur rear wheels at corner? Is that easy with these springs?I can do it really easy with stock setting at around 20-30mph, and was almost addicted to it. I do not need any speed, just need a set of spring with these corner fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by console_cowboy View Post
I would have to really suggest the RCE Yellow springs. The shortened bumpstops really do help with keeping a totally factory feel. I have had them on my car for several months and they perform great. The drop is fairly small, which would also assist with your body kit. And like others have said, if you find that you can not rotate with the RCE Yellows, add a rear swaybar. I'm running a very similar wheel setup as well, with 245/35/18 tires on 18x8.5" front wheels and 255/35/18 on 18x9.5" rear wheels, so I have a good idea of a staggered setup on RCE Yellow springs.

Those guys really did their research. I've talked to them on the phone and through email during the car's setup and they've been super helpful and knowledgeable.

Don't forget that your alignment will play a huge part in this too. You really need to considering adding a way to adjust your camber on all four wheels. It is very helpful to tuning the feel of the car.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
console_cowboy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have no issue with sliding my rear wheels, even with the much larger tires. The tires I have are not the best, so that probably helps. The car is just easy to flick with the proper input. I really like the feel of the yellows, the stock springs didn't feel as close a match to the better tires. Also, about the rear sliding, that will decrease some with any higher grip tires. I imagine getting a set of adjustable sway bars would allow you to dial some more of that in. Playing with the alignment can be good too if you if you can find some place with a lifetime alignment. You can even make your rear end rotate better with any stiffening, even with tire pressure. The additional stiffness of the aftermarket control arms made my car rotate a bit better. I'd listen to the RCE guys though, they've helped me a ton and they really are into the design and performance. There is a lot more to suspension and how it will rotate than the spring rates, and I'm still learning more all the time.
console_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
garfull

Drives: FRS(sold), AP2, R35, FJC, ED9
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I also have the 5axis kit and just installed the swift springs. Prior to installing I had a fender to ground measurement of 26.2 Front and 26.6 Rear. Now it's 25 even on all 4 corners so it seems like I got more than the advertised 1.0 drop front and rear. It does look like the rear is lower than the front because I can get just 1 finger in the wheel gap in the rear and almost 1.5 fingers in the front and I'm pretty sure the rear has more gap than the front. Although this could be a side effect of the diffence between my front and rear camber. I looked at side profile pics of others that have swift springs and it does look like the rear gap is smaller than the front. I have a really bad driveway too and I was doglegging it up before with my coilovers but it's not a problem now with the swifts.
garfull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garfull For This Useful Post:
Figo (08-14-2013)