follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
KEL-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech Pkg
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ICBC, excessive speeding, 7day impoundment questions? anyone know?

Hey Guys,

so ya i was going a little to quick and got pulled over for excessive speeding tonight. my car got impounded for 7 days. now there are some things im unsure about and hoping someone maybe able to fill me in?

I have my N with ICBC
Now I realize the ticket/points will eventually go on my license in about a month or so unless I dispute it which maybe kind of pointless as I will loose most likely and it will still go on my license eventually and when it does I will most likey loose my license so its really just delaying it it seems.

Now I need to drive for my job daily so I am definitely going to need to figure something out or change positions at work or maybe even transfer across the country or something as I got bills to pay and cant be without a job.

My concern is the impoundment itself though for speeding, does ICBC get a copy of that or just the RCMP and the Tow yard. If ICBC does get a copy can they pull my license for that alone or only when the points go on my license?

This really sucks. I know what I did was wrong speeding but we all do it sometimes. Its not right in my opinion that you car ruin someones life/career for just speeding. Im all for paying tickets and I own up to my mistakes but pulling someones license when they caused no harm is not right. I may have been going a little quick on the hwy.. I was being passed all day long though driving home. I just was unlucky.

Any other suggestions...besides the obvious dont speed and it wouldnt have happend.....

any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
KEL-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL-BRZ View Post
Its not right in my opinion that you can ruin someones life/career for just speeding.
Think about what you just said...
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
KEL-BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Think about what you just said...
speeding and driving dangerous are different things. there is a time and place as most say.

in my opinion a wide open lane on a hwy in good conditions the speed I was going was not unsafe.. I uderstand others may view it differently but we ll have the right to our own opinion. I dont agree with driving dangerous and putting others in danger. I hate people who drive recklessly tailgating, cutting people off, weaving in and out of traffic ect. thats the shit thats dumb. going a little fast when its safe isnt.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Burrcold

There is speeding and there is excessive speeding. You were excessively speeding by your own admission. I'm sorry but nobody did this to you...you did it to yourself. Man up.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
KEL-BRZ

we view this different obviously... I have no problem with the fact I got a ticket, I don't agree with it but whatever, Ill pay for it because I was technically "excessive speeding" even though I was doing it safely putting no one in risk or harm, by law it is wrong so I have to pay and I will. I just dont think its right that they are taking peoples licenses away that arent causing accidents and aren't putting people in danger. all they did was drive a little to fast. Its not right. fines ect are. But taking someones license away for speeding just isnt right, if I was speeding as well as driving dangerous and putting people in risk well then that would be different. but i dont think we will agree on this one. so thanks for your opinion. I am owning up with what I did its just the whole way this province handles speeding is ridiculous in my opinion. everywhere else you just pay your ticket and move on usually. which is fair.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
KEL-BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers View Post
Regardless of where you're driving in the province, going 20-30km/h over the limit is asking for a ticket. Going 40km/h+ is begging for one. I know you didn't come for a lecture and it isn't my intention, but travelling at 30-40km/h+ sustained and getting caught isn't bad luck, it's inevitability.

Since you have a beginner's license, it looks like you have 6 demerit points at most. It looks like this will cost you 3 of those. Judging from ICBC's website, they will review your demerits several weeks prior to your birthday and charge you a premium accordingly for all of your infractions in the previous year.

I would think that you would pay your fine to get the car back after 7 days, and then pay your premium when the ICBC charges you with it. Otherwise you would continue on your merry way.

If you don't have the 3 demerit points to spare then yeah you'll almost definitely be suspended and you'd probably have to restart the entire license process afterwards.

From the digging that I did and my own knowledge of how Ontario works, demerit points are recorded in the system as soon as the period to fight the charges is over. ICBC will know of the demerit points, and presumably you'd be forced to surrender your license if you had no remaining demerit points (or you'd be called into a meeting where you need to explain why you should be able to keep your license).

Sorry to hear though, good luck. I found myself in a situation when I started driving where they really could have tried to burn me but let me go with a warning given the circumstances and the honest mistake. If you were close to the 40km/h+ range then it's too bad that they didn't give you some slack and book you just below the cutoff point, but such is life.

Don't put yourself into these situations, because while the consequences might seem heavy-handed, they are the reality.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and try and help. Most of what your saying is correct. Im pretty aware of how the ICBC system works. In BC when you have an N ICBC can and will pretty much take your license whenever they can. I had a friend once loose it for a no seat belt ticket. If its just a matter of the ticket I can put if off for a while and figure things out.

However if ICBC does get a copy of impound record before then, they may have the power to pull my license before the ticket is delt with. thats what im trying to find out...?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
aSaki

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
We're all human and we all make mistakes, and mistakes with higher speed = greater the damage. Getting your impounded car means you were 50km over the speed limit, that's 90km in residential, 110km on normal street, and 150km on highway. Laws aren't going to tell you "Oh it's an empty road you can go whatever speed you want". What YOU think is safe might not be safe for others, the cop obviously will think if you are speeding now you will speed in the future, which means risking others safety. So I think in your case there are no way to fight it, especially on empty highway, there are no excuses of overpassing some truck or anything.
aSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
aSaki

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Also, it's not about losing your license, I don't know how old you are but if you are under age of 25 and this isn't your first accident or ticket, your insurance might sky rocket to a point where you don't really want to pay for it anymore, and if you think "Oh I'll just switch companies". Most of the companies will look at your record and reject you and won't insure you. This happened to a friend of mine, he has 3 tickets, no points lost. The insurer said to him "1 more ticket and you're done, we're not insuring you anymore"
aSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey Guys,

so ya i was going a little to quick and got pulled over for excessive speeding tonight. my car got impounded for 7 days. now there are some things im unsure about and hoping someone maybe able to fill me in?

I have my N with ICBC
Now I realize the ticket/points will eventually go on my license in about a month or so unless I dispute it which maybe kind of pointless as I will loose most likely and it will still go on my license eventually and when it does I will most likey loose my license so its really just delaying it it seems.

Now I need to drive for my job daily so I am definitely going to need to figure something out or change positions at work or maybe even transfer across the country or something as I got bills to pay and cant be without a job.

My concern is the impoundment itself though for speeding, does ICBC get a copy of that or just the RCMP and the Tow yard. If ICBC does get a copy can they pull my license for that alone or only when the points go on my license?

This really sucks. I know what I did was wrong speeding but we all do it sometimes. Its not right in my opinion that you car ruin someones life/career for just speeding. Im all for paying tickets and I own up to my mistakes but pulling someones license when they caused no harm is not right. I may have been going a little quick on the hwy.. I was being passed all day long though driving home. I just was unlucky.

Any other suggestions...besides the obvious dont speed and it wouldnt have happend.....

any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
I saw this post, looked thru your history and can safely say..

You are f*cked beyond help in terms of license.

You crashed the first BRZ at a tree because you couldn't find a thin line between your abilities and the car's. AND NOW you go speeding on a newer 86 and got impounded.

OP, i want to really show you my sympathy and voice something nice but god damn you're a terrible driver and owner.

I can't believe you didn't learn the first time, holy sh*t.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kazuya For This Useful Post:
mrceltic (10-28-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Burrcold

From the sounds of things, it's better that this guy is off the roads anyway for everyone's safety.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Quote:
we view this different obviously... I have no problem with the fact I got a ticket, I don't agree with it but whatever, Ill pay for it because I was technically "excessive speeding" even though I was doing it safely putting no one in risk or harm, by law it is wrong so I have to pay and I will. I just dont think its right that they are taking peoples licenses away that arent causing accidents and aren't putting people in danger. all they did was drive a little to fast. Its not right. fines ect are. But taking someones license away for speeding just isnt right, if I was speeding as well as driving dangerous and putting people in risk well then that would be different. but i dont think we will agree on this one. so thanks for your opinion. I am owning up with what I did its just the whole way this province handles speeding is ridiculous in my opinion. everywhere else you just pay your ticket and move on usually. which is fair.
It isn't right. Your car gets impounded immediately without a trial to even prove you were guilty. Impoundment of a vehicle is what constitutional lawyers call a disproportionate penalty. The size if the penalty varies with the value of your car, not the degree of fault.

Also, the same penalty applies for doing 40 km/hr over 110 km/hr limit on the Coqu and doing 40 km/hr over a 30 km/hr limit in a school zone crowded with school kids. It is manifestly unreasonable in a democracy.

Then there is the stupidity of the highway speed limits to start with. Drive in Europe and it is a revelation by comparison.

BC is a weird place politically speaking. When it goes politically left it goes waaaay left and then swings waaaay right. It is hard to know which bunch of idiots thought this law was a good idea.

They tried to bring it into Alberta using our Premier "Red"ford but the opposition from within her own party was extreme (Alberta doesn't use opposition parties, everything gets decided in cabinet) We still use photo radar which is stupid at the other end of the stupidity spectrum.

Still, ICBC is going to know about the whole story for you. You're hooped unless you win the trial. Move out of BC to Alberta where speeding is still ok.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From the sounds of things

Get yourself a helmet for Christmas and get out to the track. If you drive for a living then I have to question your intelligence. Why would you do anything to jeopardize your livelihood? Anyway get through this and try to make better choices as to when you are going to LET R Rip!!!!

Good luck.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
mrceltic

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
I saw this post, looked thru your history and can safely say..

You are f*cked beyond help in terms of license.

You crashed the first BRZ at a tree because you couldn't find a thin line between your abilities and the car's. AND NOW you go speeding on a newer 86 and got impounded.

OP, i want to really show you my sympathy and voice something nice but god damn you're a terrible driver and owner.

I can't believe you didn't learn the first time, holy sh*t.
Best thing that could happen is this guy losing his licence. Wrecked one car driving carelessly, and learned absolutely nothing.

The first accident he blamed the road, the traction and probably the tree. Now he gets caught going 50km over the speed limit and it's the speeding laws that are to blame.
mrceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrceltic For This Useful Post:
Burrcold (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown View Post
Get yourself a helmet for Christmas and get out to the track. If you drive for a living then I have to question your intelligence. Why would you do anything to jeopardize your livelihood? Anyway get through this and try to make better choices as to when you are going to LET R Rip!!!!

Good luck.
Haha, well put Paul.
I lol'd (inside joke, LETRIP is my plate #)
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote