follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Big mistake...

Well, looks like my worst nightmare and fear just happened. Okay, so being the brilliant scientist I am(sarcasm), I decided to remove the resonators from my stock intake and tape off the holes with electrical tape. I figured that a liberal amount of electrical tape wrapped in fake carbon fiber couldn't possibly lose grip and be sucked all of the way into the intake and passed the throttle body, but that's exactly what happened!

Engine ran fine on an errand yesterday with the tape, but this morning when I started it it sputtered and died, then I noticed the tape was missing from one hole and another piece was on the verge of being sucked in.

Should I take the entire intake system off(throttle body and what is the x-shaped thing on top) to look for the piece of tape that would be roughly 1.5feet unraveled, or do I just rev it out and let it work it's way to the bottom end, then change the oil a few times? I have no idea where the tape could be, as I removed the throttle body and do not see it anywhere. Any advice is appreciated.

DON'T DO IT! (Unless your holes are properly sealed first.)
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
powerj2

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
should have plugged it properly or gotten an intake. I dunno how much damage and piece of tape will do to the inside of the eng but its prob going to have to be taken apart.
powerj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powerj2 For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
When electrical tape gets warm it becomes a gooey sticky mess that will lose its grip on whatever you are trying to hold.

Is it worth it to remove the intake manifold?

Maybe....

Pull the rubber intake hose off and see if it got caught in the throttle body or wrapped about the butterfly. If not, chances are it is NOT stuck in the intake manifold and has run its course already.

Which hole did it let loose from? The sound tube delete?
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
jamesm
Banned

Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Don't run it through the engine. Take it apart as far as is necessary and get it all out. And don't do that again lol.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
When electrical tape gets warm it becomes a gooey sticky mess that will lose its grip on whatever you are trying to hold.

Is it worth it to remove the intake manifold?

Maybe....

Pull the rubber intake hose off and see if it got caught in the throttle body or wrapped about the butterfly. If not, chances are it is NOT stuck in the intake manifold and has run its course already.

Which hole did it let loose from? The sound tube delete?
The sound tube delete was still there, it was the small hole where the resonator used to be at the bottom that let loose and was sucked into the engine. I'm thinking of just sealing the holes off properly and seeing if it can survive. lol

I really doubt that the tape is anywhere to be found, as I bet the only reason the engine ran improperly was because the sound tube delete's patch came loose when I started it. The small patch at the bottom probably was sucked in yesterday during my drive and has already run it's course. Live and learn... Intakes have a lot more suction than I thought. lol The engine bay is also not an ideal environment for electrical tape.
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
The sound tube delete was still there, it was the small hole where the resonator used to be at the bottom that let loose and was sucked into the engine. I'm thinking of just sealing the holes off properly and seeing if it can survive. lol

I really doubt that the tape is anywhere to be found, as I bet the only reason the engine ran improperly was because the sound tube delete's patch came loose when I started it. The small patch at the bottom probably was sucked in yesterday during my drive and has already run it's course. Live and learn... Intakes have a lot more suction than I thought. lol The engine bay is also not an ideal environment for electrical tape.
The engine ran funny because it introduced a leak in which air bypassed the MAF sensor, causing incorrect fueling

I would at least pull the intake tube and see if the tape is wrapped around the throttle body butterfly
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
jamesm
Banned

Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
What's the motivation to block off the resonator and sound tube in the first place? What does it gain you?
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Sound tube delete - the proper way

lol i'm pretty sure you are not the first person who tape up the tube hole. That, my friend, is exactly why you should not do ghetto mods. I don't have suggestion on how to get the tape out, BUT i can suggest that AFTER you take the tape out, do it right like in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9273
Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
What's the motivation to block off the resonator and sound tube in the first place? What does it gain you?
Cleaner look and some have reported gains. Can't remember the thread, but it was butt dyno I think anyways...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
g0lden

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oh my....this can't be good at all.
What ever you do, don't take it to the dealer. This has voided warranty written all over it.

I hope the spark plugs are ok, cause I hear they are hard to change.
g0lden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
lol i'm pretty sure you are not the first person who tape up the tube hole. That, my friend, is exactly why you should not do ghetto mods. I don't have suggestion on how to get the tape out, BUT i can suggest that AFTER you take the tape out, do it right like in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9273
I'm looking for a free way to do it though... I'm thinking pvc fittings? I want a quick fix as well, but at least I don't need to go anywhere soon. haha
Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
The engine ran funny because it introduced a leak in which air bypassed the MAF sensor, causing incorrect fueling

I would at least pull the intake tube and see if the tape is wrapped around the throttle body butterfly

Tried it... Removed the intake tube and looked inside, nothing... Nothing in the throttle body or a little passed it either. It may be stuck inside of the butterfly, but I doubt it since it was such a small piece.

Taking the butterfly intake section off would probably require several hours of work and there's likely nothing to be found anyways, but it would give me peace of mind... Anyone taken it off and can give me a rough estimate on what I'm about to endure?

Last edited by BuBlake; 04-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
Tried it... Removed the intake tube and looked inside, nothing... Nothing in the throttle body or a little passed it either. It may be stuck inside of the butterfly, but I doubt it since it was such a small piece.

Taking the butterfly intake section off would probably require several hours of work and there's likely nothing to be found anyways, but it would give me peace of mind... Anyone taken it off and can give me a rough estimate on what I'm about to endure?
You should probably not be doing this yourself....

The butterfly valve IS the throttle body.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
You should probably not be doing this yourself....

The butterfly valve IS the throttle body.
Oh okay. lol I thought they were referring to the butterfly as the 4 intake pipes(or whatever they are) coming from the throttle body. I don't think it will be that hard to take the entire intake section of the engine off and check for the tape, but a walkthrough would be helpful. I'm about to take this on, now armed with a camera and a decent set of tools... Will post pics if I'm successful.