follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #351
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I need some guidance choosing a pad for my setup. I narrowed it down between two brands I believe unless I'm misleading myself. I don't have experience with either brand but I'd like to explore more options. I have dedicated track pads picked out but my oem pads are nearing the end of their life. Stopping power IMO is horrendous with the factory pads. I assumed this would be the place to post my question but if it needs to be elsewhere please let me know.

I don't mind noise or dusting unless its so severe that it sounds like I'm dragging my exhaust haha. These will be paired with 200 tw tires. I plan on daily driving these pads. They will also be used for a spur of the moment track day or mountain drive. I plan on pairing the same compound both front and rear. Black centrics will be used. I would like something that has a good heat range as well as good cold and hot initial bite. If I push these on a mountain run I'd like to have very minimum fade

Project mu hc+800
Winmax w3 or winmax w4

Thanks for the help in advance. Any other info needed I can provide.
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teetsdownlow For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #352
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
You stay stopping power with the OEM pads is horrendous. Why is that? They seemed to do the job just fine for me. I'm curious to know what it is about them that you don't like. Not a enough friction? I could lock up the OEM brakes with good summer tires.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #353
teetsdownlow

Drives: 2015 FRS
Honestly, I've inspected them and they visually look fine. I have roughly 20% padlife left front and rear. The rotors are in great shape. But recently it feels as if there is wax paper between my pads and rotor. After seeing people's complaints about the factory pads I just drew the conclusion that I was nearing the end of a weak brake pad. Currently have PSS so it's not a tire or suspension problem.
teetsdownlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #354
mixxxx

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetsdownlow View Post
I need some guidance choosing a pad for my setup. I narrowed it down between two brands I believe unless I'm misleading myself. I don't have experience with either brand but I'd like to explore more options. I have dedicated track pads picked out but my oem pads are nearing the end of their life. Stopping power IMO is horrendous with the factory pads. I assumed this would be the place to post my question but if it needs to be elsewhere please let me know.

I don't mind noise or dusting unless its so severe that it sounds like I'm dragging my exhaust haha. These will be paired with 200 tw tires. I plan on daily driving these pads. They will also be used for a spur of the moment track day or mountain drive. I plan on pairing the same compound both front and rear. Black centrics will be used. I would like something that has a good heat range as well as good cold and hot initial bite. If I push these on a mountain run I'd like to have very minimum fade

Project mu hc+800
Winmax w3 or winmax w4

Thanks for the help in advance. Any other info needed I can provide.
Winmax W5 is recommended by 86Cup even for beginners as drivers tend to outgrow pads easily as they get faster.

Noise can be eliminated by proper bed-in. Expect dust on any non-oem pads, even on W2. W5 shouldn't fade in the canyon.
mixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #355
racer713

Drives: 16 V60 Polestar and 15 FR-S
I loved my W5 for DD use and HDPE. Tolerable on street and excellent at the track for an intermediate paced drive on NJMP Thunderbolt and Pocono. On CSG Mike's recommendation, I going to try the Project Mu 999s. I installed them this weekend and have a track day on Thursday. We will see.
racer713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #356
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
3000F would definitely be BS.

Do you have any pics of your pads and rotors?
Hi Mike,
Here are some pics of the rotor and carbotech XP8 pads. They were taken maybe 2 weeks after a track day. I tried to use more grease and another type of grease, and used a grinder to do a chamfer on the leading and trailing edge. I also used the OEM shims. Didn't do anything, they still squeal each time I brake.
I have 1 or 2 track days next week. If they still squeak after that, I'm removing them. Can't live daily with that noise. Maybe I'll try the ferodo 2500, or Hawk street-race.

Pad on top is after I grinded the chamfer, below is before (rear). Other picture is front. Rotor is front and rear I think.
Attached Images

nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #357
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
FWIW, I don't use any shims, grease, etc. on my track or street pads. No noise or other issues. Hawk DTC 60 and HPS pads. Same results with OEM calipers and rotors or the AP Sprint kit.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
nico_rsx (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #358
malubawla
poor man's evora

Drives: Turbod BRZ
I use cobalt xr2 pads no complaints. Held up fine with 400whp and my novice foot that is killing my brakes.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:11 AM   #359
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malubawla View Post
I use cobalt xr2 pads no complaints. Held up fine with 400whp and my novice foot that is killing my brakes.
brake harder
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:11 AM   #360
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
Hi Mike,
Here are some pics of the rotor and carbotech XP8 pads. They were taken maybe 2 weeks after a track day. I tried to use more grease and another type of grease, and used a grinder to do a chamfer on the leading and trailing edge. I also used the OEM shims. Didn't do anything, they still squeal each time I brake.
I have 1 or 2 track days next week. If they still squeak after that, I'm removing them. Can't live daily with that noise. Maybe I'll try the ferodo 2500, or Hawk street-race.

Pad on top is after I grinded the chamfer, below is before (rear). Other picture is front. Rotor is front and rear I think.
Youre not getting your pads not enough to proper bed the pads themselves. Close, but not quite there. Get them hotter next time you're on track.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #361
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
It is, no doubt, a good entry level brake pad to use when starting track driving.
With improvement in pace on track, they will diminish in performance at higher temperature levels. This pace can easily be obtainable with proper coaching in a very short period of time. If interested in remote coaching services, you can ping @CounterSpace Garage or contact info@counterspacegarage.com for more information. Thanks!
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #362
nico_rsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Youre not getting your pads not enough to proper bed the pads themselves. Close, but not quite there. Get them hotter next time you're on track.
Will the rotor or pad look different once they get hot enough?
Like darker rotor or pad change color?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #363
nico_rsx

Quote:
Do you use them on the street? If yes, do they squeal/squeak?
Is the dust easy to clean?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #364
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
Do you use them on the street? If yes, do they squeal/squeak?
Is the dust easy to clean?
Once properly bedded, only minor noise at low speed, low pressure braking.

XR2 dust is corrosive.