follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #57
Hazzard

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have you found one in stock anywhere?
Everywhere where I have looked says out of stock and the link on the front page says that they won't have stock until February.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #58
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Exhaust clip up:

Read the description for my comments and impressions!
that is pretty quiet inside the cabin.
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #59
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anybody has fitment issue?
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #60
JayR FRS86

Drives: Ralliart 2006 (DD) & FRS 2016
The tips on the exhaust kinda points a bit to the right but, hard to tell unless u look at it closely. Doesnt really bother me though

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
JayR FRS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #61
ort895

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anybody else ever get this? Thoughts?
Old 01-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #62
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
The Yonaka system arrived on the 20th and a friend and I installed it the next day. All in all, a very good experience.

The box looked like the gorillas at UPS had played soccer with it but the contents seem to have survived in pretty good shape.

I'm not sure how the folks at Meng can sell this for $300 shipped to my front door. The components look pretty well constructed.The pipes and muffler are all polished, the flanges are flat and very close to square and the hangers are in their proper locations.

The welds seem to be mostly functional, if not things of beauty. (more on this later)

The only minor QC issue was at the aft end of the resonator pipe. It looks like the pipe was cut with a wheel and there was some material from the cut that partially blocked the pipe exit. A couple of passes with a die grinder made quick work of it.

The installation was cake. My system didn't come with instructions and, honestly, none are required. The OEM system comes off with 4 bolts, a little spray on silicone lube and about 10 minutes.

The Yonaka takes a bit longer to install. I started at the cat exit, and with a friend and some jackstands supporting the individual pipes where needed, assembled everything finger tight, then worked from front to back tightening first the cat flare/flange. The only fly in the ointment is the original bolts connecting the front pipe/cat to the mid-pipe are shouldered with an 8mm thread on the upstream side.

The bolts that come from Yonaka are all 10mm and will not fit through the flange on the cat. Rather than drill the flange out, I used two stainless 8mm x 50 flange head bolts and nuts. If possible I'd like to figure out how to use the original spring loaded fasteners or at least come close to duplicating that arrangement. Other than that, it was just a matter of aligning things and tightening bolts.

My two primary reservations relate to the strength of the hangers and the final alignment of the exhaust exits.

The hangers are simply pieces of rod that are bent and welded to the side of first the rear mid pipe and second the two exhaust exits from the muffler.

I'm nor sure how much faith I have in the welds holding the hangers to their respective pipes. It would not have taken much more time and material to fashion a bend in the hanger to go a bit further around the pipe and then lay a bead on one or both sides of the hanger. As it stands, the system sort of dangles from what seem to me to be less than stellar looking welds. Time will tell if they hold up.

The other issue is at the rear of the car. The right exhaust pipe is slightly lower than the left and protrudes slightly more to the rear of the car.

The differences aren't large and are more than likely not noticeable to the non-anal retentive. That said, I'll be going back under the car to see what can be done to sort out the alignment.

I bought this exhaust because 1) it was a smoking price and 2) I wanted to see if I liked the car louder without coughing up $700+ dollars to find out. As far as that goes, this exhaust is PERFECT. The sound is deep and throaty. I notice it most between 2000 and 3000 rpm in sedate driving and from 2500 to 7000 when hard on the throttle. To me it sounds EXACTLY like I think a sports car should sound.

I've always thought the raspy racket from the fart can crowd was the result of high frequency transients escaping the muffler. The rasp is completely absent here. All you get is a rumble then a wail above 5000. At 3300 in 6th (indicated 80mph) you occasionally hear a faint rumble (not what I'd call a drone) from the back of the car, mostly as the cruise control tips into the throttle to climb slight grades/overpasses.

I took Ms. Spaulding for a 100 mile drive Sunday to see what she thought. Her verdict? "I really like it. It makes the car sound much more husky, like it means business. But you can't hear it cruising on the freeway."

I agree. In my considered opinion, the product is well worth what I paid. If sound stays close to its present level, the welds on the hangers hold up and flare joint at the cat doesn't cause any problems it will be a steal.
About the left and right tips not lining up, seems somewhat common, my perrin catback has the same issue.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #63
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Exhaust clip up:

Read the description for my comments and impressions!
Just got one for like 250$ still brand new in box. Took a chance and going to throw it on my setup and see what it gives me (tired of how loud my 3in perrin catback is, great sound but so loud at highway speeds it unbearable for long distances).

I unfortunately wont be able to install and test it before it gets warmer out as the car is stored for winter.

Will try to give feedback once it's on for people with a slightly more "built" setup.

For those curious I have a KW SC kit with high boost pulley on E85 (450cc injectors and JDL UEL header coupled with Perrin 3" FP).
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #64
thewongster

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech
Yonaka

Anyone with any further news, reviews, sound clips, photos etc, of the yonaka exhaust?? Thanks
thewongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #65
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewongster View Post
Anyone with any further news, reviews, sound clips, photos etc, of the yonaka exhaust??
I don't even know if you can get these...it's been listed as "out of stock" everywhere for over 6 months now.
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #66
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Yeah, probably a single production run only sort of thing. I guess those that got them for $300 are lucky and now have a rare exhaust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
I don't even know if you can get these...it's been listed as "out of stock" everywhere for over 6 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:45 PM   #67
thewongster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Yeah, probably a single production run only sort of thing. I guess those that got them for $300 are lucky and now have a rare exhaust!
One site has them coming back in Fall of 2017 and when I contacted Yonaka they told me they would message me back when more come in stock... Hopefully that is true!
The Following User Says Thank You to thewongster For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #68
CB750F

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
I bought mine last October & I like the sound, just a little louder & deeper, sound clips are bad & see their utube video, it's close. I now have about 3k miles on mine. No drone, or only for startup, I don't really notice it inside the car anymore. I have not let someone go down the road WOT in the first 3 gears, so not sure what it sounds like outside the car. Interesting someone said it was loud with a UEL, was not expecting that.

What Fumanchu1 posted is excellent. My left side is almost touching, so higher on the left, I need to go fix but life gets in the way & well, not a big deal for me. Also, my right side seems to stick out a little also, but need to be anal to notice.

Keep in mind this is a cheap as in affordable catback. Many people say it can't be cheap, good & reliable at the same time, time will tell & I don't drive my car in winter so salt won't be an issue.

I also want to point out that I have in the past bought exhaust from top of the line companies & they did not fit perfectly, I need to struggle everytime I put them on & it's far from even being close! So it might last a few yrs or a decade, I'm ok with my choice. If I would have a WRX I would have went with Lachute Performance, because A) they are close, any issues I drive to them & B) it's warranteed for life & the WRX would see winter driving.

EDIT:

RichardJ, how is life with this setup after all these months, you still like it? Any issues with neighbors, peace officers, etc....
I think it sounds ok just no WOT at 2am down my street lol .

Tks.

Last edited by CB750F; 07-18-2017 at 11:56 AM.
CB750F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #69
thewongster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750F View Post
I bought mine last October & I like the sound, just a little louder & deeper, sound clips are bad & see their utube video, it's close. I now have about 3k miles on mine. No drone, or only for startup, I don't really notice it inside the car anymore. I have not let someone go down the road WOT in the first 3 gears, so not sure what it sounds like outside the car. Interesting someone said it was loud with a UEL, was not expecting that.

What Fumanchu1 posted is excellent. My left side is almost touching, so higher on the left, I need to go fix but life gets in the way & well, not a big deal for me. Also, my right side seems to stick out a little also, but need to be anal to notice.

Keep in mind this is a cheap as in affordable catback. Many people say it can't be cheap, good & reliable at the same time, time will tell & I don't drive my car in winter so salt won't be an issue.

I also want to point out that I have in the past bought exhaust from top of the line companies & they did not fit perfectly, I need to struggle everytime I put them on & it's far from even being close! So it might last a few yrs or a decade, I'm ok with my choice. If I would have a WRX I would have went with Lachute Performance, because A) they are close, any issues I drive to them & B) it's warranteed for life & the WRX would see winter driving.

EDIT:

RichardJ, how is life with this setup after all these months, you still like it? Any issues with neighbors, peace officers, etc....

Tks.
This is exactly the type of review I wanted to hear... Thanks! Where did you buy it from? I can see you are from Montreal as well nice!

Just a followup, I called Yonaka directly this morning and they do not have an ETA for when they will receive additional shipment, but they did say that they are just simply OOS and that it is not out of production atleast! I assume the Fall 2017 ETA from the reseller was inaccurate.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #70
RichardJ

Drives: 15' FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750F View Post

EDIT:

Tks.
I've been running a catless JDL UEL and this exhaust for like 8 months now. I don't have any complaints. Cold start is not loud with the tune tweak, pretty tame on light throttle (sounds especially exotic between 2-3k rpm, idk how to explain it), and downright mean on WOT. If you have OFT try implementing the tweak, cold starts in the morning suddenly become very civil.

Zero issues in regards to loud volume. It is not loud at all which is what I wanted (coming from N1).

I would say money well spent for a good quality and great sounding catback.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote