follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Koni shocks damping setup

Hi guys,

I've been doing some thinking and could use a little input from you guys who are running the Koni shocks and aftermarket spring combo on your specific setups for discussion.

Have you guys done anymore to your suspension setup? Sway bars, bushings, etc.?

How hard are you on the rebound setting? Some track & street feedback perhaps?

And lastly, what springs have you paired yours with?

I've been running it for about 6k miles now and this combination is hard to beat, but I'd like to hear more from fellow owners as such discussions on this setup is hard to find.

I am currently running it with Swift Springs, damping settings at 9 o'clock from full firm.

I do apologize if there are any threads already discussing this which i missed out.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am running the same combo, konis and Swift Spec Rs. I am still playing with the settings on the konis, but am currently running the front at 1.25 turns from soft (both have about 2 turns total ability to turn) and the rears are around 5/8s of a turn from soft. I track the car only, no auto cross. Running Perrin 19mm sway bar on the front on soft and a Perrin 16mm sway bar on the rear on medium. As far as bushing, I have diff inserts and subframe inserts.

I have never run coil overs to know any difference, but I have been incredibly happy with the set up. I get a lot of compliments from instructors who ride with me on the track. CSG David has suggested going back to the stock sway bars, which I might try at some point -- I just haven't had the motivation to do it yet. The car still has some slight understeer at corner entry (-3.2f and -2.5r camber) and one instructor has suggested trying the rear bar on full stiff. It could just be trying to carry too much speed into the corner as well, will continue to work on driving technique before I make any changes.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Fofofawcett

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum to both of you...street/daily only. I have eibach pro-kit springs and koni's with rear subframe inserts/bushings. I live in Baltimore where the roads are...terrible to put it kindly.

I run full soft or quarter to half turn from full soft. At full soft, it is basically similar to stock, possibly better. Comfortable for daily commuting and city traffic, but a bit too soft for more spirited drives. Quarter turns do a lot more than you think (to me anyway), and at a quarter to half turn, it really sharpens up without being too harsh. I haven't gone any further than a full turn from soft...which is probably what I would stick with if the road surfaces around here was smoother and more predictable (crumbling asphalt, potholes, expansion joints, railroad tracks, etc.)

Hopefully this helps, it's nice to hear what others are running.
Fofofawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Brzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
I am running the same combo, konis and Swift Spec Rs. I am still playing with the settings on the konis, but am currently running the front at 1.25 turns from soft (both have about 2 turns total ability to turn) and the rears are around 5/8s of a turn from soft. I track the car only, no auto cross. Running Perrin 19mm sway bar on the front on soft and a Perrin 16mm sway bar on the rear on medium. As far as bushing, I have diff inserts and subframe inserts.

I have never run coil overs to know any difference, but I have been incredibly happy with the set up. I get a lot of compliments from instructors who ride with me on the track. CSG David has suggested going back to the stock sway bars, which I might try at some point -- I just haven't had the motivation to do it yet. The car still has some slight understeer at corner entry (-3.2f and -2.5r camber) and one instructor has suggested trying the rear bar on full stiff. It could just be trying to carry too much speed into the corner as well, will continue to work on driving technique before I make any changes.

Nice, I am planning to run your setup at the end game of my setup as well. Did you do the sway bars after the shocks upgrade? Or was it together? How did it feel before and after? I personally feel the initial turn in of this set up is great, idk if adding a sway bar will upset any of it. I have not pushed hard to see whether at the limit will it understeer.

For your case, what's your justification on setting your front camber to 3.2? Does it give better initial turn in?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
Brzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofofawcett View Post
I guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum to both of you...street/daily only. I have eibach pro-kit springs and koni's with rear subframe inserts/bushings. I live in Baltimore where the roads are...terrible to put it kindly.

I run full soft or quarter to half turn from full soft. At full soft, it is basically similar to stock, possibly better. Comfortable for daily commuting and city traffic, but a bit too soft for more spirited drives. Quarter turns do a lot more than you think (to me anyway), and at a quarter to half turn, it really sharpens up without being too harsh. I haven't gone any further than a full turn from soft...which is probably what I would stick with if the road surfaces around here was smoother and more predictable (crumbling asphalt, potholes, expansion joints, railroad tracks, etc.)

Hopefully this helps, it's nice to hear what others are running.

Are you on aftermarket wheels as well? When you are at full soft, and throwing the car around a sweeper or long corner, does it trip your VSC more often? I don't know if it's me being more sensitive, but the VSC tends to trip more on the softer setting when there is wheel articulation.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #6
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm on Konis, Eibach Pro-Kit, Grimmspeed strut bar, Eibach Front & Rear sways, 18x8 on 225/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1. Koni's on full soft and sways on full stiff. No aftermarket bushings. Primarily a DD, but I am boosted with the KW kit. I love my setup but I should go back in and adjust my sways to the softer position. Sometimes I consider getting some adjustable coilovers, but in reality I'd probably never adjust their height since I'm good with just a modest 1" drop. I'd just want the adjustables to get more clearance for wider wheels up front. I like my current suspension because it is relatively quiet due to the OEM top-hats.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
Jonsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
Nice, I am planning to run your setup at the end game of my setup as well. Did you do the sway bars after the shocks upgrade? Or was it together? How did it feel before and after? I personally feel the initial turn in of this set up is great, idk if adding a sway bar will upset any of it. I have not pushed hard to see whether at the limit will it understeer.

For your case, what's your justification on setting your front camber to 3.2? Does it give better initial turn in?

Thanks.

I track the car a lot, which is why I run -3.2 up front. I may switch to -3.4 soon as the inside of my wheels are still a good bit warmer than the outside on the fronts when I come off track.

I did the sway bars and Konis at the same time so I cannot attribute certain characteristics to one over the other. I should say it does only understeer at the limits on the track. I never push the car hard enough on the street to notice.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Fofofawcett

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzerker View Post
Are you on aftermarket wheels as well? When you are at full soft, and throwing the car around a sweeper or long corner, does it trip your VSC more often? I don't know if it's me being more sensitive, but the VSC tends to trip more on the softer setting when there is wheel articulation.
I am on stock size wheels (17x7). Interesting that you mention that because I have noticed that on long sweepers/corners, the car does feel imprecise. I haven't tripped VSC, but there is a difference. Overall, it is much more planted and "carves" better when firmer.
Fofofawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
I track the car a lot, which is why I run -3.2 up front. I may switch to -3.4 soon as the inside of my wheels are still a good bit warmer than the outside on the fronts when I come off track.
If the inside is warmer than the outside you want less camber, not more...
Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #10
Jonsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If the inside is warmer than the outside you want less camber, not more...
Yep, said that backwards. The outside is between 15-20 degrees warmer.
wparsons (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Brzerker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofofawcett View Post
I am on stock size wheels (17x7). Interesting that you mention that because I have noticed that on long sweepers/corners, the car does feel imprecise. I haven't tripped VSC, but there is a difference. Overall, it is much more planted and "carves" better when firmer.
I did manage to made the VSC trip lesser tho, once I turned the damping up, it seems more predictable. And I think this calmed down the traction control.