follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
decoid

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Anyone ever buy one of these exhausts from eBay?

Lol are they any good?
decoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Sweet48

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Never used one of these (I have a Corsa myself) but the tips look painted IMO. There's some good knock off's out there that can save you a ton of money. not 100% sure as to what name they are branded under or where to get them. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in. lol

Good luck
Sweet48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you want a nice exhaust on a budget I suggest top speed pro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...dc8130&vxp=mtr

My friend has one of these they are pretty good quality. Just a couple of bucks more than what you have to pay for that one with free shipping. I was gonna get one of these but I went with Invidia instead. In fact the above is a ripoff of the q300.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
decoid

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
If you want a nice exhaust on a budget I suggest top speed pro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...dc8130&vxp=mtr

My friend has one of these they are pretty good quality. Just a couple of bucks more than what you have to pay for that one with free shipping. I was gonna get one of these but I went with Invidia instead. In fact the above is a ripoff of the q300.
The muffler and stuff aren't gonna rot away or anything? and the ti tips are lasting?
decoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoid View Post
The muffler and stuff aren't gonna rot away or anything? and the ti tips are lasting?
From what i've heard and seen these are very good quality for the price. Some problems with alignment or fitment may happen but can be fixed with adjustments. Their axleback got favorable reviews here.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61187
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Careful with dealers like this, they don't always fit right and the build quality is really quick welding probably in China or something. I look at the price of $300 and say there's something suspicious about it. Would I spend $300 on an axle back exhaust? Sure. With material, build labor and shipping that sounds right. But $300 for a cat back? That price says to me that something is missing.

I don't say this being a retailer but someone who has a BRZ that did buy an Invidia N1 and loves it, a cat back exhaust that this e-bay seller is selling that has no brand name, model or any distinguishing features for $300 sounds like a poor knock-off.

And I can promise you those tips are not titanium, just titanium look.

-RyanG
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
man you can find a used N1 for that price, i'd hold out for that vs buying this crap.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
Careful with dealers like this, they don't always fit right and the build quality is really quick welding probably in China or something. I look at the price of $300 and say there's something suspicious about it. Would I spend $300 on an axle back exhaust? Sure. With material, build labor and shipping that sounds right. But $300 for a cat back? That price says to me that something is missing.

I don't say this being a retailer but someone who has a BRZ that did buy an Invidia N1 and loves it, a cat back exhaust that this e-bay seller is selling that has no brand name, model or any distinguishing features for $300 sounds like a poor knock-off.

-RyanG
For sure!
When the main focus of the exhaust is "Dual Burned Tip" I start to question the whole product. Fine description if you are just buying tips but not so great when looking at a whole catback. Looks like it is aimed at the teenaged ricer who wants the look but could care less if it rots off in 2 years.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post

-RyanG

For what its worth I bought a cheap ARK knockoff as seen in this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=ebay

Had to tweak it a little, however it survived a new york winter with no rust/broken welds or anything of the sort.

I'm all for quality parts, and I really like the look and the anti-resonance chambers of the ARK and saw this and figured what in the hell..

Plenty of other members on here have bought other branded ebay exhausts of all shapes and while many may report small fitment issues, I have not heard of any "Major" problems.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
For sure!
When the main focus of the exhaust is "Dual Burned Tip" I start to question the whole product. Fine description if you are just buying tips but not so great when looking at a whole catback. Looks like it is aimed at the teenaged ricer who wants the look but could care less if it rots off in 2 years.
I in the past have actually bought something from Ebay that had that blue logo "satisfaction guaranteed" next to a grey title with "perfect fitment every time" on top. If you go to their page, they sell thousands of similar parts with no brand name or anything of the sort. They're basically a knock-off distributor.

The best rule of thumb for shopping for anything online - ESPECIALLY on Ebay -is assume it's counterfeit or knock-off unless proven otherwise. If unsure, do research and communicate with the seller, if they don't have a physical address or phone number and only a random e-mail function, that's pretty shady. If they do and you get in touch with them but they can't answer simple questions like the manufacturer, run away. If they have no idea what it is they're selling, you sure as heck won't know either.

Not to intentionally plug Vivid, but we test and/or verify all products we sell and only deal with brand name manufacturers. That's how you know any business is legit by the business they do. It might cost a bit more than an Ebay ad but the product you get is better and worth the cost.

-RyanG
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vividracing For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-01-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #11
spatcha88

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I decided to go cheap on my frs and YES I bought a J2 off ebay. For the price of $250.00 shipped I was very impressed. Sounds good. Fitment is a taaaaad off on one side but not a deal breaker. It's Deep and smooth for $250.00 why not? I'm happy with it.
spatcha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spatcha88 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
SirSpectre

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Garage
I just picked up a Top Speed catted UEL header and over pipe from ebay. Good quality. 99% to Perfect fitment (just some over pipe rattle), and proper SS welds.

I'd vouch for Top Speed.
SirSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have always gotten "knock off" exhausts (with the exception of my evo 3 on my evo 8) and for the money have always been very satisfied. I never keep my cars for longer than 5years, so don't really care if it falls of after that, and also don't want to spend a grand on a pipe.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Rookie84

Drives: '02 GS300, '12 S80 T5, '15 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I care too much about the sound quality to save a few bucks over proven ones vs. ebay Chinese knock-off exhausts. For over pipe and front pipe, sure why not as long as they fit correct, as piping is piping. But for a cat-back, I would want a well engineered system with good sound and no drone.
Rookie84 is offline   Reply With Quote