follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
UNCC_BRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clicking / Popping noise from steering when not moving or low speed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SCu...ew?usp=sharing

Video with good sound example of noise. Video was made without the car moving, but similar sound at low speed. Primarily from the front drivers side.

Like the title says, I am getting this clicking / popping noise when I turn at a standstill / low speeds. It seems to only start making the noise once I turn the steering wheel past the 4/8 o' clock position, so it might also do it at high speed, but I dont turn the wheel past that when driving at high speed too often, and my exhaust is too loud to be able to hear it at higher speeds anyways.

2013 BRZ
100k miles
Still on original factory suspension. Only suspension part that has been replaced is rear drivers side strut around 60k miles.

I realize that a lot of the suspension parts might be going bad with this many miles, but it still rides and handles great. Only started making this noise about two weeks ago? I only drive the car 2-3 days a week. Less than 500 miles a month for the past 2 years.

25mm spacers in front
30mm spacers in back
Spacers have been on the car for less than a year, and only about 4-5k miles.

I am sure that a suspension bushing is the culprit, I'm just not sure which one it might be?
Old 05-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #2
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My 2017 had a bad bearing on the top right strut. It took two people to locate the noise. While an assistant turned the steering lock to lock, I felt the vibration with my fingers. I first thought it was creaking bushings on the sway bar. Check the top of the struts. Apparently it is a problem that affects lots of car makes.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:32 PM   #3
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Sounds like front top hats to me. If the bearing stops spinning freely, the top half of your spring wont rotate with the lower half of your spring, causing it to slip and make a boing noise.

The lower spring perch is moved by the tie rods but the upper perch is kinda just along for the ride.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:31 PM   #4
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Clicking / Popping noise from steering when not moving or low speed

It’s probably a disintegrated EPS coupler. It’s a $7 fix. I’ve got a DIY, let me dig it up.

Here:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133606
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-26-2022)