follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #29
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Learned something new today. Is this a potential problem in the 2017+ engines as well? I know they had some revision to the valve stems, camshafts, and a minor change in rocker arm pivots for weight reduction, but I honestly don't know that any of those changes are helpful as I don't have a lot of knowledge on engine internals. I did a little searching on it and didn't find too much aside from a few cases that people have posted in the past.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #30
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Learned something new today. Is this a potential problem in the 2017+ engines as well? I know they had some revision to the valve stems, camshafts, and a minor change in rocker arm pivots for weight reduction, but I honestly don't know that any of those changes are helpful as I don't have a lot of knowledge on engine internals. I did a little searching on it and didn't find too much aside from a few cases that people have posted in the past.
I believe the rockers in the 15'+ engines have deeper pockets and the pivots are taller. I don't recall for certain. There are a lot of revisions on the rocker pivots going back to 2014, but they are mostly due to changes in the oiling hole. I believe @solidsnake11 knows more details on the changes from his motor builds.
Dzmitry (09-03-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #31
SilverSkyline210

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Im down to order
SilverSkyline210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #32
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I believe the rockers in the 15'+ engines have deeper pockets and the pivots are taller. I don't recall for certain. There are a lot of revisions on the rocker pivots going back to 2014, but they are mostly due to changes in the oiling hole. I believe @solidsnake11 knows more details on the changes from his motor builds.
Thanks for the clarification.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #33
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
2014 plus has longer valves. Rockers have deeper recesses for valve and pivot. Pivots have smaller oil hole ,same height. Head castings interchange.
But do these design changes also address the flaw that has been brought up by Denstoj and the OP with the rockers popping out under certain circumstances?
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #34
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm in for the group buy as long as the price isnt crazy
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:15 PM   #35
mstoj

Drives: Miata, Silverado
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gents! If you're interested in purchasing the retainer kit, go ahead and shoot an email through to dennis@denstoj.com.au as we will no longer need to do a "group buy" and put any unnecessary pressure on someone to be a middle man.

The kit costs $450 USD + a $99 refundable security deposit + shipping (~ regular U.S domestic rates). See more info here: http://denstoj.com.au/retainer-kit/

The security deposit is refunded once Denstoj receives the original pivots from your engine. We recycle the parts to keep costs down.

Note, I'm affiliated with Denstoj so I hope I don't get banned for trying to sell stuff on here! We just noticed the thread and I wanted to help everyone out. We have a few kits in stock but need to understand how many more to make up.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
mstoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mstoj For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (09-07-2020), ML (09-07-2020), rixter145 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #36
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,127 Times in 521 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstoj View Post
Gents! If you're interested in purchasing the retainer kit, go ahead and shoot an email through to dennis@denstoj.com.au as we will no longer need to do a "group buy" and put any unnecessary pressure on someone to be a middle man.

The kit costs $450 USD + a $99 refundable security deposit + shipping (~ regular U.S domestic rates). See more info here: http://denstoj.com.au/retainer-kit/

The security deposit is refunded once Denstoj receives the original pivots from your engine. We recycle the parts to keep costs down.

Note, I'm affiliated with Denstoj so I hope I don't get banned for trying to sell stuff on here! We just noticed the thread and I wanted to help everyone out. We have a few kits in stock but need to understand how many more to make up.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
does it matter if the pivots are from the engine I want to put the new ones in? I have a spare and it would be easier to send those.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #37
mstoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
does it matter if the pivots are from the engine I want to put the new ones in? I have a spare and it would be easier to send those.
Nope doesn't matter - just need an original set.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #38
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstoj View Post
Nope doesn't matter - just need an original set.
I’m curious as to what model year engine this problem was being demonstrated on in the video posted here and on the Denstoj website, and whether this engine was in its stock form.

As solidsnake11 here mentioned that the 2014 and up engines were modified by the manufacturer to solve this problem. I don’t want to purchase parts that I don’t need and pull my engine to install them in order to fix a problem that has already been solved by the manufacturer. Can you answer those questions for us?
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #39
mstoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I’m curious as to what model year engine this problem was being demonstrated on in the video posted here and on the Denstoj website, and whether this engine was in its stock form.

As solidsnake11 here mentioned that the 2014 and up engines were modified by the manufacturer to solve this problem. I don’t want to purchase parts that I don’t need and pull my engine to install them in order to fix a problem that has already been solved by the manufacturer. Can you answer those questions for us?
So for those interested, Subaru/Toyota updated the rockers and pivots but the change didn't combat the issue we're seeing in the video (it was mentioned earlier that the change was for the oil). The height of the pivot didn't change, meaning that retaining kit can be used on any model year.

Note, it's important to check valve clearances during installation and swap out the lash adjuster buckets if required. This is unlikely if each lash adjuster bucket is returned to the original valve.

FYI, the engine in the video was factory sealed.
The Following User Says Thank You to mstoj For This Useful Post:
rixter145 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #40
rixter145
Sleep Chomper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Wish I knew about this sooner...
I found that out the hard way...today... I literally just started the car, heard some sound... didn't think of it much and then on my 12 min drive to my appointment, i noticed smoke and a trail of oil... FML.
rixter145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:13 AM   #41
Finsky

Drives: BRZ 2014
Hello,

I just stumbled upon this thread. I got my 2012 GT86 fairly recently, I don't track it but I do rev the engine regularly, would you say I should consider this fix ? What are the chances the rockers would fail, is it that common ?

I'm taking the car to Toyota soon for the valve springs recall so wondering if I should have the rockers replaced at the same time.

Thanks
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #42
rixter145
Sleep Chomper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
What year is your engine?
I had it rebuilt, 2014 brz engine with lower CR. Literally 5.8k miles and this happened...
rixter145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rixter145 For This Useful Post:
solidsnake11 (09-18-2020)