follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Inter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tail lights not working, brake lights and turn signals are working

Hey guys I noticed last night that my night time running lights on my Valenti tails stopped working.. what I thought was just the tail-light crapping out turned to lead me down a rabbit hole I know nothing of. Here's the story:

At the same time my DRLs on my Spec-d headlights stopped working as well. So this morning I took out the Valenti's, put the stocks on.. still nothing. They both didn't work, same thing, brake lights and turn signals work fine. So next I checked the fuses, the fuse 4 on the inside panel was blown. 5 for the DRLs was not blown which I found strange since the DRL doesn't work either. So I drove my angry ass to auto-zone, bought more 10a fuses and changed them. But...fuse 4 blew again.. and again.. and again. Every time I changed it to a new one, tried to turn the lights on it blew instantly, I even tried putting the stock tails back on .. still blew. I know very little about wiring and I'm so stumped. I checked my wiring from the Spec-d headlights and made sure no exposed wiring was fouling and touching any metal in the engine bay.. nothing wrong there. I unplugged the main headlight harness from the car and reset the battery, still to no avail. I really want to avoid taking it to the shop... my only thought is that theres a really huge chance theres a bad ground, so maybe if someone knows a point where the ground can fail often that would be awesome. Any suggestions or help would be super appreciated.

UPDATE : Checked trunk dome lighting for any bad wires, nothing out of order there.. Removed license plate lights and put a new fuse in, tried again, still blew the fuse.

Last edited by Inter; 07-14-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Inter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inter For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well now, Inter, it's quite obvious that your car has an electrical short somewhere in the system. I would start looking at or around those lighting fixtures that you have been messing with. You may find an electrical diagram (found somewhere on this forum) helpful.

What Bubba does is to jump across the fuse block that keeps blowing with a piece of #9 wire, then look around the car for sparks and or burning wire. NO, DON'T DO THAT!
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Narrow down the short. Unplug the headlights and taillights, replace the fuse, then plug them in one by one until it blows. That will tell you which headlight/taillight to look at specifically.

If you unplug them all, and it still blows, then you've got an issue with the car wiring.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharpsicle For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-14-2020), soundman98 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Inter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well now, Inter, it's quite obvious that your car has an electrical short somewhere in the system. I would start looking at or around those lighting fixtures that you have been messing with. You may find an electrical diagram (found somewhere on this forum) helpful.

What Bubba does is to jump across the fuse block that keeps blowing with a piece of #9 wire, then look around the car for sparks and or burning wire. NO, DON'T DO THAT!
Yeah I've been fiddling with them and trying different things all day... Had to have gone through at least 20 fuses...
humfrz (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
Inter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
Narrow down the short. Unplug the headlights and taillights, replace the fuse, then plug them in one by one until it blows. That will tell you which headlight/taillight to look at specifically.

If you unplug them all, and it still blows, then you've got an issue with the car wiring.
I don't remember if I unplugged all 4 headlights and tail lights and then tried it, that's something I'll have to redo tomorrow..
humfrz (07-14-2020)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:28 AM   #6
Romansssee

Drives: Black Frs
Were you able to fix them? I’m currently having the same freakin problem, so anything you found out would help a lot
Romansssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:24 AM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
The next step is to start unplugging harnesses. There's a short somewhere, just need to narrow down if it's in front or back.

Always start with the parts that have been modded or fiddled with, then move on to unplugging car harnesses
Old 10-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romansssee View Post
Were you able to fix them? I’m currently having the same freakin problem, so anything you found out would help a lot
He hasn’t been here for a year so maybe he burned his car up by just throwing fuses at it.
As has been said if you blow a fuse it means in all probability you have a dead short someplace. They can be a bitch to find. If you recently changed or worked on something start there and look for pinched or cut wires. The hard part is it can be anywhere in the length of the car!
Old 10-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
Romansssee

Drives: Black Frs
Thank you bro, appreciate your help
Romansssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #10
amaryeg

Drives: Black 2013 Scion FR-S
you fix ur tail lights???
amaryeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 01:50 AM   #11
SeriesB

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue Edition
* My solution *

My problem was the sidemarker wires were all screwed up and the positive and negative cables were wrapped around each other. I had them disconnected because I have widebody fenders. Now it works perfectly fine.
SeriesB is offline   Reply With Quote