follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which OFT stage for '17+ w/catted header?

Realize I'll be in the minority but have a catted FTspeed header I'll be installing and the car is a stock '17 with a JR oil cooler, Grimspeed airbox, and an OFT stage one already but haven't been able to find which stage is right to use. Heard/read that stage one is still sufficient given the limited flow from the catted header but swear I'd seen it listed on a thread a while ago that stage 2 was the correct tune once you had a header even if it was catted.

Tried the search function and didn't have much luck as there's too many threads that reference all of this (most of which are long for sale threads) so I appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Oops, now i remember

https://support.openflashtablet.com/...e-requirements

Last edited by gen3v8; 05-16-2022 at 01:00 PM.
gen3v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gen3v8 For This Useful Post:
ThatYeti (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 12:28 PM   #3
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
stage1 for stock header
stage2 for catted aftermarket header
stage2+ uncatted/E85

honestly i just tune with stage2+ cam. timing even catted headers, and keep a little richer and less timing
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
gen3v8 (05-16-2022), RToyo86 (05-17-2022), Teseo (05-17-2022), ThatYeti (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
ThatYeti

Appreciate it gents, didn't think to check the OFT site....it's definitely Monday and all that plasti-dip spray from doing a set of wheels last night is having it's effect...haha
Old 05-17-2022, 06:35 AM   #5
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
Realize I'll be in the minority but have a catted FTspeed header I'll be installing and the car is a stock '17 with a JR oil cooler, Grimspeed airbox, and an OFT stage one already but haven't been able to find which stage is right to use. Heard/read that stage one is still sufficient given the limited flow from the catted header but swear I'd seen it listed on a thread a while ago that stage 2 was the correct tune once you had a header even if it was catted.

Tried the search function and didn't have much luck as there's too many threads that reference all of this (most of which are long for sale threads) so I appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks

You would need a Stage 2 as a base but will definitely need a custom tune from Steve99 or Wayno because of the Grimmspeed Airbox.

Stage 1 Hardware Requirements:
  • OEM header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • Stock Airbox (with or without aftermarket drop-in panel filter)
  • Premium grade fuel

Stage 2 Hardware Requirements:
  • Aftermarket CATTED header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • Premium grade fuel

Stage 2+ Hardware Requirements:
  • Aftermarket CAT-LESS header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • Premium grade fuel

Stage 2+ (E85) Hardware Requirements:
  • Stock OR Aftermarket CATTED OR CAT-LESS header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • E85 fuel ONLY!!
ThatYeti (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
You would need a Stage 2 as a base but will definitely need a custom tune from Steve99 or Wayno because of the Grimmspeed Airbox.

Stage 1 Hardware Requirements:
  • OEM header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • Premium grade fuel

Stage 2 Hardware Requirements:
  • Aftermarket CATTED header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • Premium grade fuel

Stage 2+ Hardware Requirements:
  • Aftermarket CAT-LESS header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • Premium grade fuel

Stage 2+ (E85) Hardware Requirements:
  • Stock OR Aftermarket CATTED OR CAT-LESS header. *Any exhaust modifications after the header is also compatible
  • E85 fuel ONLY!!
Everything I'd read showed the grimmspeed box as a direct replacement for the factory box (only did it to get a little extra space for the oil cooler) and haven't had any issues running the OFT stage one for a bit now. Did you have issues running it?
Old 05-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #7
spcmafia

Quote:
Everything I'd read showed the grimmspeed box as a direct replacement for the factory box (only did it to get a little extra space for the oil cooler) and haven't had any issues running the OFT stage one for a bit now. Did you have issues running it?

If I remember correctly, there is a tune that is specific to the Grimmspeed box. I'll find it. I didn't invest money on that piece of hardware. I just use an aftermarket filter and inlet tube.

You wouldn't necessarily run into problems by just using the Stage 1-2, but you could possibly be missing out on a couple extra HP because the tune is not optimized for that box. You should get in contact with anyone who does custom tunes, trust me, it is worth it, and you won't have a generic tune, you''l have something that it is optimized for every aftermarket part you have.
Teseo (05-17-2022), ThatYeti (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 08:07 AM   #8
ThatYeti

Quote:
If I remember correctly, there is a tune that is specific to the Grimmspeed box. I'll find it. I didn't invest money on that piece of hardware. I just use an aftermarket filter and inlet tube.

You wouldn't necessarily run into problems by just using the Stage 1-2, but you could possibly be missing out on a couple extra HP because the tune is not optimized for that box. You should get in contact with anyone who does custom tunes, trust me, it is worth it, and you won't have a generic tune, you''l have something that it is optimized for every aftermarket part you have.
Fair enough, though I may not be keeping the airbox long term as it's rubbing one of the hose end nuts where it connects to the oil filter spacer so I may just stick with a shelf tune til I sort that out so I'm not wasting money on multiple tunes.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #9
spcmafia

Quote:
Fair enough, though I may not be keeping the airbox long term as it's rubbing one of the hose end nuts where it connects to the oil filter spacer so I may just stick with a shelf tune til I sort that out so I'm not wasting money on multiple tunes.

BTW, didn't realize you're from CT! What part?!

You can always switch back to stock, sell your GS box, get an inlet tube and K&N filter for $120-ish, switch to Stage 2 once you install your headers, if you haven't done so. I also run catted headers and even a double resonated Front Pipe. Rather not worry about emissions and salty cops.
ThatYeti (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #10
ThatYeti

Quote:
BTW, didn't realize you're from CT! What part?!

You can always switch back to stock, sell your GS box, get an inlet tube and K&N filter for $120-ish, switch to Stage 2 once you install your headers, if you haven't done so. I also run catted headers and even a double resonated Front Pipe. Rather not worry about emissions and salty cops.
I'm up near Bradley and the stock box gave me less space so i'd have to find something that's smaller or get the right JR oil cooler kit for my car (one I bought here was for an earlier auto...seller didn't mention that til after he shipped and I didn't know to ask) Same thoughts on keeping it catted but doing the headers this week.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:22 PM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:

If wayno/steve99 are busy and you have some technical knowledge, you could follow their guide to do the maf scaling yourself. That's where the performance optimization comes from with the airboxes on that gen.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (05-24-2022), ThatYeti (05-24-2022)