follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #57
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Find the pad that maximizes the front tire deceleration then use a rear pad that compliments that; in my case a rear pad that induces “just enough” rear abs as the very limit or under late stage trail braking is ideal.

Think about heat. Stock brakes with no cooling and r-comps = lots of heat. BBK with brake ducks and 200tw tires = very little heat. Run the corresponding pad.

Tracks with unique conditions can induce strange realities too. Example, on the racecar the ST43 rear pads will last a full race season+ on PacNw tracks (and california) but in (1) 40 minute race at Road America they got destroyed. RA has 3 hard decel zones from 120+mph which is unique vs most other tracks. If I raced at RA often I would either run a “hotter” pad in the rear or add rear brake cooling.
Rather than heat, I'd encourage you to think of it in terms of response and release.

You're an advanced enough driver that you really should be thinking beyond just heat vs friction generated. By now, you've probably noticed that there's really no correlation between how a pad feels (subjectively AND objectively) and a published heat/friction number/curve.

You've clearly developed your own preference for both response and release, and then found a setup that accommodates you, but like you said, it can change situationally. There are pads out there that will give you the lower friction you want AND handle Laguna/RA type tracks at the same time.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #58
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Rather than heat, I'd encourage you to think of it in terms of response and release.

You're an advanced enough driver that you really should be thinking beyond just heat vs friction generated. By now, you've probably noticed that there's really no correlation between how a pad feels (subjectively AND objectively) and a published heat/friction number/curve.

You've clearly developed your own preference for both response and release, and then found a setup that accommodates you, but like you said, it can change situationally. There are pads out there that will give you the lower friction you want AND handle Laguna/RA type tracks at the same time.
I am convinced that heat must be solved for first which is reason I spoke to that without muddying the waters. Great release and response is secondary if your pads are overworking abs, grooving your rotors, laying down uneven transfer layers or are fading. You can drive around some release/response characteristics and still be fast, it's hard to be fast if managing pad fade or uneven transfer layers.

In other news - The GLOC guys are seemingly very engaged in SCCA racing contingency and have been working well for Hayai (both the pads and the customer service). Since I'm worried about Runoffs this year (not attending) and I'm doing more local races this year, I may sport some GLOCs once Hayai has finished finalizing his preferred compounds with them.

Here's the problem with racing - even if you tested a bunch of stuff and found the "winning formula" - after you've been using that formula for awhile it's VERY easy to be attracted to wanting to try other options just "in case" something else is faster. Brake pads and tires being the most attractive of the bunch.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #59
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I am convinced that heat must be solved for first which is reason I spoke to that without muddying the waters. Great release and response is secondary if your pads are overworking abs, grooving your rotors, laying down uneven transfer layers or are fading. You can drive around some release/response characteristics and still be fast, it's hard to be fast if managing pad fade or uneven transfer layers.

In other news - The GLOC guys are seemingly very engaged in SCCA racing contingency and have been working well for Hayai (both the pads and the customer service). Since I'm worried about Runoffs this year (not attending) and I'm doing more local races this year, I may sport some GLOCs once Hayai has finished finalizing his preferred compounds with them.

Here's the problem with racing - even if you tested a bunch of stuff and found the "winning formula" - after you've been using that formula for awhile it's VERY easy to be attracted to wanting to try other options just "in case" something else is faster. Brake pads and tires being the most attractive of the bunch.
Precisely why testing is king!

You'd laugh if you see some of the posts I've made selling used pads that have maybe half a mill of use, and tires that have 2 cycles on them
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
evanescent03 (04-20-2022)