follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #57
Fletch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks both!
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #58
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,310 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post

Did you happen to measure weight difference?
2013-2020 Steel knuckles: 12.41lbs each
2022 Aluminum Knuckles: 9.08lbs each

3.33 lbs less each (6.66 lbs net weight less)
bcj (01-02-2022), DarkSunrise (12-13-2021), Racecomp Engineering (01-03-2022), timurrrr (12-13-2021), wheelspeed (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 04:11 PM   #59
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
3.33 lbs less each (6.66 lbs net weight less)
The new car is of the devil bobby!
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Opie (12-14-2021)
Old 01-02-2022, 10:46 PM   #60
slimfit

Drives: ‘22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
These might be a good option…

slimfit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slimfit For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-02-2022), Fletch (01-02-2022), PBR (01-02-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:13 AM   #61
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfit View Post
These might be a good option…
What are the piston sizes?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:44 AM   #62
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
What are the piston sizes?
The front Subaru 4 pots are 40.4 mm, the rear 2 pots are 38.1 mm.

That means same in the front as standard slider calipers with same size rotor. Essentially no change to bias with just the fronts. It's a very mild upgrade, improved feel from the fixed caliper and I think slightly lighter.

But the 2 pot rear has smaller pistons with same size rotor. So that increases front bias.

I would not use the rear kit on this car or the 1st gen.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
gen3v8 (01-03-2022), slimfit (01-03-2022), timurrrr (01-03-2022), treedodger (01-17-2022), weederr33 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #63
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Thanks both!
I think you and I are in the same camp. I really have hopes that this forum is better than many of the Facebook group offerings. I hope experience and wisdom will outweigh the loud know-it-alls I'm hearing here.
I've tracked cars for years on places like Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and NJMP. I'm an ex-SCCA road racer. I'm used to BBK's and a car's performance to match.
I'll never accept someone telling me that "the sliders are fine if you just upgrade pads and fluid". Perhaps that might slide by on the rear of the car for many people.

Bottom line is there's a reason there are racing brakes. Whether we are play racers or not, if we know how to get the most out of our cars and use the brakes for their 10 tenths potential, then we will want racing brakes. Perhaps we are in the 2-5% that use their cars this way and can turn podium-level lap times. With 245 888R's, and aero, I'll have the potential for being damned hard on my brakes!
I don't really want someone telling me what I'll be fine with when I have years of track experience (and they don't even know my car's setup...). These generalizations about one size fits all just doesn't sit well with me.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scargod For This Useful Post:
PBR (03-01-2022), Stephen W. (02-16-2022), Tokay444 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #64
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargod View Post
I think you and I are in the same camp. I really have hopes that this forum is better than many of the Facebook group offerings. I hope experience and wisdom will outweigh the loud know-it-alls I'm hearing here.
I've tracked cars for years on places like Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and NJMP. I'm an ex-SCCA road racer. I'm used to BBK's and a car's performance to match.
I'll never accept someone telling me that "the sliders are fine if you just upgrade pads and fluid". Perhaps that might slide by on the rear of the car for many people.

Bottom line is there's a reason there are racing brakes. Whether we are play racers or not, if we know how to get the most out of our cars and use the brakes for their 10 tenths potential, then we will want racing brakes. Perhaps we are in the 2-5% that use their cars this way and can turn podium-level lap times. With 245 888R's, and aero, I'll have the potential for being damned hard on my brakes!
I don't really want someone telling me what I'll be fine with when I have years of track experience (and they don't even know my car's setup...). These generalizations about one size fits all just doesn't sit well with me.

Shhhhhhh your experience means nothing to @ZDan @jvincent @OkieSnuffBox @NoHaveMSG and lots of other professional IMSA driver's saying that stock BRZ brakes are sufficient on the track with pads, fluid and (now) cooling ducts.

We're just dummies who don't embrace the power of cheap, single piston brakes on the 2022 BRZ. The lightning lap video drivers obviously didn't know how to drive....a good driver barely uses brakes! Glowing rotors at the Rolex24 are just figments of your imagination
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:01 PM   #65
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

With most things it is prudent to look at your own use/need. For the average track day goer pads and fluid are adequate and not unsafe. Once you start noticing your fluid is looking dark quickly and you are burning through consumables then yeah, it is probably time to consider it. I have been on BBK for 4 years. Guys racing SCCA T4 with the twins are required to run the stock calipers.
Scargod (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #66
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s30series View Post
... lots of other professional IMSA driver's saying that stock BRZ brakes are sufficient on the track with pads, fluid and (now) cooling ducts....
Why don't you provide some proof that IMSA drivers think the brakes are sufficient (whatever the hell that means). But wait, cooling is now needed.
Mike, at CSG has already provided visual proof and measurements that the calipers are not up to the task. In his words, "they taco".
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scargod For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 04:56 PM   #67
s30series

Quote:
Why don't you provide some proof that IMSA drivers think the brakes are sufficient (whatever the hell that means). But wait, cooling is now needed.
Mike, at CSG has already provided visual proof and measurements that the calipers are not up to the task. In his words, "they taco".
Chill bro- you just joined this forum and haven't been here long enough to understand.....there are three groups of posters here. Those who understand BBKs and realize the BRZ needs them for track days, those who think adding fluid and pads is 100% sufficient (meaning BBKS are worthless and stock caliper/pads are great) and makes you competitive for track days, and those who dont track the car.

My post was obviously sarcasm directed to the people that I tagged with "@".

Honestly, did you even read my post? If you can't detect sarcasm after the Rolex24 tidbit......
Old 02-15-2022, 05:32 PM   #68
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Chill bro- you just joined this forum and haven't been here long enough to understand.....there are three groups of posters here. Those who understand BBKs and realize the BRZ needs them for track days, those who think adding fluid and pads is 100% sufficient (meaning BBKS are worthless and stock caliper/pads are great) and makes you competitive for track days, and those who dont track the car.

My post was obviously sarcasm directed to the people that I tagged with "@".

Honestly, did you even read my post? If you can't detect sarcasm after the Rolex24 tidbit......
Well, since you tagged me, I'll respond.

"Track days" means a lot of different things to different people.

- Some are running the Primacies and stock suspension because they just want to go fast.

- Some have upgraded to 245-ish tires and some suspension mods and want to go faster.

- Some have slicks, full aero, and are chasing lap time records.

I'm in the second group. I'm no track wizard but can go fast enough to melt stock pads. I've never had any issues with upgraded pads and fluid. Never.

Would the third group need a BBK for performance reasons? Probably. But they are in the very small minority of people. Would people who go to the track a lot benefit from the lifecycle costs of running a BBK? Yes.

As in all things, there's no black and white answer so take your own advice and chill bro.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (02-15-2022), weederr33 (02-16-2022), Xed32 (02-15-2022), ZDan (02-16-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #69
s30series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Well, since you tagged me, I'll respond.

"Track days" means a lot of different things to different people.

- Some are running the Primacies and stock suspension because they just want to go fast.

- Some have upgraded to 245-ish tires and some suspension mods and want to go faster.

- Some have slicks, full aero, and are chasing lap time records.

I'm in the second group. I'm no track wizard but can go fast enough to melt stock pads. I've never had any issues with upgraded pads and fluid. Never.

Would the third group need a BBK for performance reasons? Probably. But they are in the very small minority of people. Would people who go to the track a lot benefit from the lifecycle costs of running a BBK? Yes.

As in all things, there's no black and white answer so take your own advice and chill bro.
You not having issues on stock brakes (minus fluid/pads) means you didn't push the car hard and/or long enough. Period. Fact. Just sayin'.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #70
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You not having issues on stock brakes (minus fluid/pads) means you didn't push the car hard and/or long enough. Period. Fact. Just sayin'.
I didn't have an issue on stock brakes with good pads/fluid and stock lines, but I melted down a set of XP10's with a BBK. What does that mean

Again, as was posted in the other thread about this, T4 cars are required to run stock calipers. They are allowed to run ducts and most do though ducts can cause more heat checking.

21's runoffs was a poor example of "endurance" due to the amount of carnage.

Jdmjunkie (02-15-2022), PBR (03-01-2022), weederr33 (02-16-2022)