follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #43
retoocs

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Of the 5 windshields I've gone through on my Legacy GT, all done by Safelite, first replacement was OEM (Carlex) which the insurance company okayed since the car was a year old. Of the other 4, I did wind up with Carlex one other time. I would say the Carlex glass was the worse. Any hit resulted in a crack even in the middle of the windshield. The latest one, FY, has been the most durable, it just keeps chipping, but not cracking. OEM isn't always better.
retoocs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retoocs For This Useful Post:
mikko86 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #44
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frishkorn View Post
I would like to second this. Safelite changed my windsheild after a mere three weeks of ownership. Took the ex-wife for a ride in the FR-S (was only able to purchase it because I was divorced, she wouldn't let me get one because it was impractical she said for two people with no kids ) and on my way to pick her up for a birthday lunch, a Porsche 911 GT3 kicked up a rock and cracked the windshield.

The glass was exactly the same, black band and all. However three days later, I noticed condensation forming at the bottom of the windshield on the inside of the car. My guess is due to crappy aftermarket seals. I called and complained and even though I wasn't really that upset, I stomped my feet hard enough and had them order an OEM windshield and materials from Japan. Had to wait three weeks for it to come in, but was happy to see the invoice cost Safelite over $1,000 for their mistake (plus whatever the first windshield cost them to put in). Crazy to think that an OEM windshield alone was $917.00!
I wonder how you took your exwife to lunch, more amuse is to take a ride in the frs
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #45
Frishkorn
Hi everybody!

Drives: 14 Whiteout FRS 6M. 16 Abyss iA 6A.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I wonder how you took your exwife to lunch, more amuse is to take a ride in the frs
It was shortly after the divorce. Figured I would be a nice guy and take her out to lunch and buy her something nice for her birthday as well.

She walked out after 10 years of marriage to move to South Korea. I wanted to show her the car to rub it in her face that without her I could buy it, and that I was happy.

Frishkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frishkorn For This Useful Post:
Jrryjms07 (01-26-2015), Teseo (01-26-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #46
robr

Drives: 2013 FRS, with boost by ATS Racing
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So it's rather hard to get subtle color in a window to show in a picture. These are my best, and final, attempts.

Seems best to get it from an angle.

Glare seems to help bring it out too.

Compared to factory windshield:

Black car has the Safelite "blue strip" windshield, orange car has clear factory. He wasnt around to take out his sun shade, but you can see there's no color in his windshield.

And, finally, a view from the inside:

The fact that it's so hard to see in a picture is kind of proof how subtle the green tint is. The blue strip you can make out fairly well in pictures though.

So...yeah, that's the extent of my camera phoning ability. At least of something that is designed to let light pass through it. Hope it helped a tiny bit.
robr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robr For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #47
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@robr

Big big thanks! Love the lot of mr2's at ATSracing too. #1 mr2 tuner shop in North America, if not the entire world!

Yes, the inside shot is what I was after. Thanks. It doesn't look bad at all. From the outside, it's so subtle that it's hardly noticable. I'll likely just go for the blue tint strips. Every shop I called they were all significantly cheaper than windshields without the strip.

Is that a dashcam you're running? I run a dashcam and hope the tint strip doesn't distort the video too much.

OT but did Aaron sell his car to you? It awfully looks a lot the same and he boosted his too.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #48
robr

Drives: 2013 FRS, with boost by ATS Racing
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think the blue strip windshield looks better than the clear factory. My factory windshield had 70% (maybe 80?) on the entire thing, but they obviously wouldn't replace that. I liked how that looked much better than the current windshield, so I might get that done again eventually.

That's a V1 radar detector. I can't imagine the blue strip would distort a camera at all. Just give it a blue tint, which is probably something you can adjust the hue for when processing later. But I really don't know about that. The blue part is NOT distorted though, I can tell you that much.

Yes, Aaron and I worked out a deal on the car. A former coworker and I built it for him, he never drove it (I just rolled 9k miles on the way to the shop this morning), I was in the market for another project car. I couldn't let a stranger have it since I was as invested in it as I would have been my own project, so Aaron and I worked it out. Both of us couldn't be happier.

And thanks! As one of 5 employees, and only one of 2 techs, I take things said about ATS personally. Makes me feel good to hear comments like yours Oh, and there's more MR2s inside and in the gated rear lot. We're a >< bit busy, hence me not having the time to turn my power up to where I want it.
robr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #49
pepelocuas

Drives: scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just installed a brand new aftermarket windshiels with moulding included for just $280 and looks exactly the same as the original
pepelocuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #50
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Got a quote for 240 including tax. Definitely aftermarket windshield but we'll see how it turns out.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #51
SisterBlue22

Drives: "Frances" - 2013 FR-S in Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Those prices are crazy!! I'm so glad I have full glass coverage with no deductible on my auto insurance policy. With all the miles I drive, I go through usually 4 windshield replacements per year.

I bought my FR-S on 5/24/15, and got hit by a rock the very next day that resulted in a crack the entire length of the windshield. Got the windshield replaced the next week. Now, 3 months later, I have another crack halfway across, and it's getting replaced again tomorrow. Seems there's always construction on Phoenix freeways, so lots of rocks and debris getting kicked up. Or, I have a giant target on me that I don't know about.... :-/
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #52
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just had to do this today - first ws replacement in 2.5 years. I'd had a few stars and repaired them myself fine, but driving to work yesterday I caught a rock right at the passenger side edge. When I came back out to the car in the evening the star had turned into a horizontal crack across 1/3 of the windshield.

I got it replaced with the blue band across the top for 180 cash.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote