follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #70715
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Unexpected package came! I was expecting this one to come tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #70716
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Or maybe more appropriately

Does this cover the gearbox?

Does this void my warranty?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-06-2020), NoHaveMSG (06-06-2020), p1l0t (06-06-2020), soundman98 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:11 PM   #70717
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Does this cover the gearbox?

Does this void my warranty?
It IS the warranty!

You didn't hear about any valve spring repair failures in Japan now did you?
86MLR (06-06-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:27 PM   #70718
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Nah, only sloppy work gets that stuff everywhere. The main thing is go get everything planned, laid out, and ready before you need it.

Resin, hardener, cups, extra cups, tape, paper, clamps, mixing sticks, brushes, rollers, gloves, more gloves, towels, a drop/drip matte.

Protip. Put on latex gloves. Then put on another pair over that pair. That way when your mid-job and the glove rips or is too sticky and making too much of a mess you can peel a glove layer off and keep working without wasting time struggling to dry your hands enough to get it into a fresh pair.
I disagree! The mess is inevitable! We were very careful, purposeful, and precise assembling wings 'n things in the composite lab at 2am with what I am sure was almost no measurable BAC after 12+ hours of classes and homework... Oh yes, Team "Victorious Secret" was quite professional for a bunch of college kids!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Kiske (06-06-2020), NoHaveMSG (06-06-2020), soundman98 (06-05-2020), Tcoat (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #70719
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I determined it was time to move on showed up, returned my gear and started loading up. Management didn't even blink, respond or ask why. The owner whom showed up a bit latter upon hearing this was livid and sent the office staff home.

I think is was a bit of any shock to him as he was a bit like a deer in headlights to almost every reason. It took a good 3 hours or so but, eventually it seemed to click for him in the afternoon after sitting with it for an hour, processing it.

I had a long chat with a friend last night whom gave me some great advice on how to present these topics clearly. Things like if your going to state X is a problem. State why it is a problem, how you tried to fix it. Put the problem into their lap without giving them a chance to side step itor turn it towards you.

The hardest part was making it seem that this wasn't just spite or a poor employee ranting but, a serious problem and how it is effecting not only the employee but, the company as a whole. A company that will be expanding by 10X soon as 2020's goofiness is over.

I however honestly didn't expect the other guys in the shop to have my back. Usually we just vent to each other as we all have/had our moments. I truly didn't expect them to sit down and join the conversation persuading the owner that this matters. Monday I owe them a beer.

The owners are going to now be present in the day to day, work on restructuring our offices and management and hopefully getting things up to how they want the company run. I also have signed paperwork that states X changes will happen or I will be released with full severance.

The easiest way to put my job is custom automotive refinishing turned up to 11 and then on crack. My tasks include repairing and refinishing unique finishes on unique substrates, figuring out standard repair procedures for new products and matching surfaces.

My recent test in patience, was determining a repair procedure (and preforming it) for an OEM on a new type of color-impregnated, fiber reinforced, pearlescent plastic that is going to be used on jetboats, PWC, ATV's and motorbikes. It's a super touchy finish that soon as the outer skin/film is broken (scratched) it becomes a nightmare to work with. Once the skin is broken, if you even spray it with something as mild as household glass cleaner the acrylic with crazy and micro crack across the surface. So a 1/2" scratch becomes 4 feet of micro cracks that mimic a dry lake bed or an alligator scales.
maybe i should just buy that spoiler/lid from you!
Old 06-05-2020, 11:45 PM   #70720
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Unexpected package came! I was expecting this one to come tomorrow.
Every day is X-Mass morning for ichitaka05 -
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #70721
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Every day is X-Mass morning for ichitaka05 -
Except my wallet is thinner & thinner everyday lol
Old 06-06-2020, 12:57 AM   #70722
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

That project that you're working on, sounds to me, like that type of coating should be discontinued.

I wish you well.

Thats the thing. OEM want to move away from painting and coatings. If they can make the part look presentable out of the mould that saves them a huge chunk of money.

Imagine if instead of black and grey plastic bumpers, the plastic itself came out matching the car's paint without needing painted. Think of the cost savings and how much more $$$ the parts department could charge, instead of passing on the savings.

Unfortunatly, that means these parts can't easily be repaired. Not a big deal on a car bumper but, with things like a boat hull it means every boat would total if even slightly damaged which isn't feasable and the vehicle needs to be insured.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-06-2020), soundman98 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 01:53 AM   #70723
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
I did trouble shooting on electronics for about eight plants around the country. Got to the airport with my small "Quick fix bag" Test gear and yes a solder gun. It said solder GUN on the side. Off the lockdown room. Finally a senior guy comes in and says "Next time do not bring a GUN with you, just file off the word." Cool guy.
Then they said no tools in carry on. So I had to check the little bag, had it disappear so a big bag from then on.
Was working in Australia just after 9/11 got to check in and they took my emergency sewing kit with two sewing needles, Got on the plane and they gave us real steak knives with the food.
These are the same types of people who smash a peaceful protester in the face then wonder why all the rocks started flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Jobs are coming back fast and furious this month. Hang in there.
Many jobs will come back, but many, many will not. Restaurants are going to need a fraction of the staff they had before, if they survive. Mainly we're going to have fast food. Movie theaters are fucked. All the making things jobs will be OK for a while, but if many of the service people are getting paid, they're not going to buy new F-150s or iPhone XYZs. That's going to be a problem. And we're not even close to done with COVID. This is not going to magically disappear, and a vaccine is not magically going to be available and safe by January. We're long haul fucked in the US and most countries.

We've had 4 pickup meals since the lockdown. 2 in n out, 1 boba place (puke), and a black-owned fine dining place. I'm sure the last will be closed in the next 6 months. They ran a bbq memorial day special and had all of like 12 orders when i got there at 1130am. Good food, though. In contrast, the fast food places had lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Phone (Pixel 1) died its last death. Was trying to limp it along until Pixel 5 this fall after my power button gave out, but I guess that's not happening. Really wish ~$1k smartphones would have better physical longevity. You know, like my HTC Evo from 8 years ago that still works, but isn't supported on Fi...

So now my dilemma is Pixel 3a or Moto G Power?
I like my Pixel 3a XL. I'd get one then wait for the Pixel 6. ~1k smartphones aren't work the bother. Get the $300 phone. It's 90% as good for 1/3 the price. The $100 phones are maybe 50% as good for 1/10th the price, but that 40% to the 300 phone is worth it. I had a Moto G8 before the 3a XL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-06-2020), Spuds (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #70724
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
These are the same types of people who smash a peaceful protester in the face then wonder why all the rocks started flying.

Many jobs will come back, but many, many will not. Restaurants are going to need a fraction of the staff they had before, if they survive. Mainly we're going to have fast food. Movie theaters are fucked. All the making things jobs will be OK for a while, but if many of the service people are getting paid, they're not going to buy new F-150s or iPhone XYZs. That's going to be a problem. And we're not even close to done with COVID. This is not going to magically disappear, and a vaccine is not magically going to be available and safe by January. We're long haul fucked in the US and most countries.

We've had 4 pickup meals since the lockdown. 2 in n out, 1 boba place (puke), and a black-owned fine dining place. I'm sure the last will be closed in the next 6 months. They ran a bbq memorial day special and had all of like 12 orders when i got there at 1130am. Good food, though. In contrast, the fast food places had lines.

I like my Pixel 3a XL. I'd get one then wait for the Pixel 6. ~1k smartphones aren't work the bother. Get the $300 phone. It's 90% as good for 1/3 the price. The $100 phones are maybe 50% as good for 1/10th the price, but that 40% to the 300 phone is worth it. I had a Moto G8 before the 3a XL.
Meh, movie theaters employ like 3 people. Besides drive-ins are coming back!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-06-2020), Spuds (06-06-2020), Tcoat (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #70725
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post

On the other hand, people who make things are going to have less services to spend money on, such as restaurants and movie theaters, thus they will have more money to buy things. Restaurants and the like are less of a wealth generator and more of a cultural middleman. ... Wait, don't we have specific covid-19 threads for this?

Yeah, that's what I am leaning towards at this point. The new dilemma is that I can get a brand new Pixel 3 for like $400 on Amazon right now, and get it Tuesday, whereas nobody can get me a Pixel 3a (at $300) until like Thursday/Friday. On one hand, I really like aluminum frames, the flagship has a better screen and better performance that I definitely don't need. On the other hand, better battery life, 6 more months of software updates, and spending less money sounds good too...

Really it comes down to whether it is worth $100 to have a phone most of next week lol. And aluminum.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #70726
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Thats the thing. OEM want to move away from painting and coatings. If they can make the part look presentable out of the mould that saves them a huge chunk of money.

Imagine if instead of black and grey plastic bumpers, the plastic itself came out matching the car's paint without needing painted. Think of the cost savings and how much more $$$ the parts department could charge, instead of passing on the savings.

Unfortunatly, that means these parts can't easily be repaired. Not a big deal on a car bumper but, with things like a boat hull it means every boat would total if even slightly damaged which isn't feasable and the vehicle needs to be insured.
In a car application it would weather differently than the rest of the paint, and you couldn't touch up or polish it, and coatings would look different... It would look like crap on a car after about 6 months even if you could get it looking good out of the factory.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #70727
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
In a car application it would weather differently than the rest of the paint, and you couldn't touch up or polish it, and coatings would look different... It would look like crap on a car after about 6 months even if you could get it looking good out of the factory.
But you could have the whole body made of plastic so it all is even.

But WAIT....

That was tried. It failed.

p1l0t (06-06-2020), soundman98 (06-06-2020), Spuds (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #70728
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But you could have the whole body made of plastic so it all is even.

But WAIT....

That was tried. It failed.

but i believe they were still painted right? i recall the plastic panels, just couldn't remember the process..

also found this-- the main reasons Lutz states they got away from it was production cost and final appearance changing with temperature:
https://www.designnews.com/materials...92920356130501

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis