follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Karl07

Drives: 2012 86 GTS - Storm Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Rim choice

Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a set of wheels, and have two choices i am considering.

1- 17x7.5" (unsure of offset) Volk TE37
2- custom sizing Enkei RPF01 18x8.5 +40/18x9.5 +38

TE37:
Second hand, needing a bit of tlc to make the pretty again
Come with semi slick tyres with about 25% tread
Will cost me about au$1100
Research shows that offsets on Volks of this size will be more sucked in

RPF01:
Brand new
Will need to have (more expensive) tyres added
Perfect for this car
Will give better looks/stance
Cost about the au$1500

I will be lowering on a set of coil overs a little bit and I am unsure of whether or not I will upgrade the brakes...considering ap racing, or brembo.
I read that the volks should fit over the wrx brembos, but even then I'm unsure of it. And not knowing the offset makes it harder.
Otherwise I may not even go the bbk path...

Are te37s really THAT good that I should consider the smaller 17s? Both are light wheels but the volks will obviously be lighter and the smaller diameter is better for performance.

Help? Thanks.
Karl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
yoshiharadesign
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
not knocking on old wheels but in many cases, with the naked eye, not you or even the seller will be able to tell if the wheels are 100% or even if the tires are in perfect condition unless its taken to a wheel installation shop to check for possible flat spots that might have developed. Even then, if there were repairs done on it, there is a possibility of the structural integrity being compromised from the repair. With used wheels, unless its checked, suggestion would be to just get a brand new wheel to avoid possible problems. Then if you bend it or damage it, its all on you...
yoshiharadesign is offline   Reply With Quote