follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #155
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Agreed. Even local 86 Facebook group discussed the invidia q300 exhaust which is supposed to be their "quiet" catback getting noisy after 3-5 months they are def not known for subtlety
@BoxerRumble do you have an aftermarket front pipe or OEM? The front pipe is a pretty important piece of sound control if you have an uncatted header and aftermarket catback. Your exhaust will be noisy as heck of it's a straight piped front pipe. You want at least a high flow cat or a large resonator in the front pipe to dampen the noise.
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #156
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
Agreed. Even local 86 Facebook group discussed the invidia q300 exhaust which is supposed to be their "quiet" catback getting noisy after 3-5 months they are def not known for subtlety
@BoxerRumble do you have an aftermarket front pipe or OEM? The front pipe is a pretty important piece of sound control if you have an uncatted header and aftermarket catback. Your exhaust will be noisy as heck of it's a straight piped front pipe. You want at least a high flow cat or a large resonator in the front pipe to dampen the noise.
Tell me about it. I went back to the stock FP because my Q300 can get loud when on it. Cruising it’s quiet.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:23 PM   #157
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Tell me about it. I went back to the stock FP because my Q300 can get loud when on it. Cruising it’s quiet.
Pretty tolerable with the stock front pipe, I take it?
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #158
BoxerRumble

Drives: 2015 Blue BRZ
Hey guys, happy Canada day to Canadians! (I am dual). So I got the Cusco ones because earlier in this thread on page 3, the guy who started this whole post says a friend of his had great success wiht the Cusco ones:

--from page 3 of this same thread:
saltywetman 03-13-2021, 08:14 AM: So in total there are 5?
gpvecchi 03-13-2021, 11:08 AM: Yes 5. A friend went from Cusco from this ones and had a great benefit.

Also, I could get them quick. I have them in my kitchen. I don't know if there are different types of polyurathane, but holding them in my hand they are firm but somewhat pliable. Think "2000's skateboard wheel" not "1970s skateboard wheel"- that are so hard you fall off when it hits a pebble. I bought the CAT low profile jack, 4 big red jackstands, and princess auto ramps to get this thing in the air. This car is so low that the lowermost point of the Nvidia N1 is only about an inch off the ground- yikes! Any tips on the install? It will probably be a PITA to get the old ones off. Do I replace these 1 by 1, starting at the back? Should I use a some some shoe ties to support the exhaust, close to where each hangar is ? Do you guys want me to put in the back 3 and test, then the final 2? I think I'll drive around even before the install with some kind of sound meter app and test. Or i have an old sound meter for measuring stereos, that may work too. Let's give this a try. I am a scientist so I like to get actual data points, will help the group too.
BoxerRumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #159
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Get your self an exhaust hanger tool. You bought everything else might as well go all the way. It will makes a sinch

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #160
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRumble View Post
Hey guys, happy Canada day to Canadians! (I am dual). So I got the Cusco ones because earlier in this thread on page 3, the guy who started this whole post says a friend of his had great success wiht the Cusco ones:

--from page 3 of this same thread:
saltywetman 03-13-2021, 08:14 AM: So in total there are 5?
gpvecchi 03-13-2021, 11:08 AM: Yes 5. A friend went from Cusco from this ones and had a great benefit.

Also, I could get them quick. I have them in my kitchen. I don't know if there are different types of polyurathane, but holding them in my hand they are firm but somewhat pliable. Think "2000's skateboard wheel" not "1970s skateboard wheel"- that are so hard you fall off when it hits a pebble. I bought the CAT low profile jack, 4 big red jackstands, and princess auto ramps to get this thing in the air. This car is so low that the lowermost point of the Nvidia N1 is only about an inch off the ground- yikes! Any tips on the install? It will probably be a PITA to get the old ones off. Do I replace these 1 by 1, starting at the back? Should I use a some some shoe ties to support the exhaust, close to where each hangar is ? Do you guys want me to put in the back 3 and test, then the final 2? I think I'll drive around even before the install with some kind of sound meter app and test. Or i have an old sound meter for measuring stereos, that may work too. Let's give this a try. I am a scientist so I like to get actual data points, will help the group too.

You'll need some WD-40 to spray the hangers move them around so they get lubricated, makes the job even easier. You'll be able to easily access the 4 around the muffler. The trickiest one will be the by the differential. Do all 5 since it takes approx 15-20 minutes. Make sure you take all precautions when lifting the vehicle, never hurt to be extra cautious.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #161
BoxerRumble

Thanks. We got the car up safely on 4 jackstands. Can't buy any special tools on a holiday but we did get WD-40 from a gas station. I thought there were 5 in a single row all the way to the front, but yeah 2 of them on each side of the exhaust and 1 a little further in. My son is asking, he can wiggle each hanger off the bottom, but the dowel its own closer up looks like it will be a PITA to get off, just pry it loose, or cut into it if needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
You'll need some WD-40 to spray the hangers move them around so they get lubricated, makes the job even easier. You'll be able to easily access the 4 around the muffler. The trickiest one will be the by the differential. Do all 5 since it takes approx 15-20 minutes. Make sure you take all precautions when lifting the vehicle, never hurt to be extra cautious.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #162
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. We got the car up safely on 4 jackstands. Can't buy any special tools on a holiday but we did get WD-40 from a gas station. I thought there were 5 in a single row all the way to the front, but yeah 2 of them on each side of the exhaust and 1 a little further in. My son is asking, he can wiggle each hanger off the bottom, but the dowel its own closer up looks like it will be a PITA to get off, just pry it loose, or cut into it if needed?

I did all 5 of mine with just WD-40. So don't sweat about not having a special tool. See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Untitled.pdf (179.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 07-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #163
BoxerRumble

Discovery on STi JDM axleback and perhaps others

Hey everyone. Everything went fine, 80% of our time was spent getting the car up on 4 jackstands for the first time. The drone is gone. It used to that between 2900-4200 rpm it was so bad you feel like you have the worst headache, and the worst was driving at a constant speed. Now, only between 3300-3700 rpm and only while hard accelerating, there is what I would call “ unpleasant exhaust sounds” that are fartcan / buzzing bee like, not drone per se, are there. At this point the rattle in my door is more annoying. My son was impressed too the difference it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #164
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
Pretty tolerable with the stock front pipe, I take it?
Definitely.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #165
YSoAggressive
Exhaust Lord

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Hey everyone. Everything went fine, 80% of our time was spent getting the car up on 4 jackstands for the first time. The drone is gone. It used to that between 2900-4200 rpm it was so bad you feel like you have the worst headache, and the worst was driving at a constant speed. Now, only between 3300-3700 rpm and only while hard accelerating, there is what I would call “ unpleasant exhaust sounds” that are fartcan / buzzing bee like, not drone per se, are there. At this point the rattle in my door is more annoying. My son was impressed too the difference it made.

Wow really impressed with the results, my hangers came in I just have to find some time to put them on cause of college and when I do will report back with the results. I’ve been trying to find different options for fixing or reducing my drone on my current setup. It’s the Invidia N2 Catback with Tomei UEL headers (which are catless) so it’s not necessarily super loud just the drone within the cabin is pretty loud especially at cruising speeds on the freeway. 6th gear is the bane of my existence
YSoAggressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #166
BoxerRumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSoAggressive View Post
Wow really impressed with the results, my hangers came in I just have to find some time to put them on cause of college and when I do will report back with the results. I’ve been trying to find different options for fixing or reducing my drone on my current setup. It’s the Invidia N2 Catback with Tomei UEL headers (which are catless) so it’s not necessarily super loud just the drone within the cabin is pretty loud especially at cruising speeds on the freeway. 6th gear is the bane of my existence

Yep we have the Tomei catless UEL / stock Overpipe & mid pipe, Nvidia N1. Yes I know its like sitting in the last row of an old Boeing 727 and the cabin noise / buzzing just fills your ears and is unbearable. Yes when I drive this car home after picking it up I wanted to put earplugs in, and the highway was the worst. So I’d constantly change gears and vary engine speed. I’d open both windows - that reduced it 10%. Now, like I said, the rattle in my passenger door is way more annoying. I can keep a constant speed in any gear, no drone. Like I said between 3300-3800 rpm there is some drone but even then it is 50% of what it was, and only in that narrow rpm band, and if I am decelerating- nothing. I told my son not to look at the tach and tell me when there is anything remotely sounding like drone- that’s how we got that range. It’s a miracle really. I was ready to get an exhaust shop to weld in a j-pipe or helmholtz, or try Dynomat above the spare, but now - not a priority / who cares, many others mods are a higher priority. This is the best $73 USD / $91 CAD I’ve ever spent in my life. The blue hangers look really cool and I am 1 step closer to being track-ready. Shoutout to Sean Yuck, owner of subieland.ca for getting the Cumo hangers to me in 2 days at a great price (while my other order at FT86 won’t be coming in for 3 weeks).
Pic below, I love the blue!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoxerRumble For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (07-02-2021), YSoAggressive (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:18 PM   #167
YSoAggressive
Exhaust Lord

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Yep we have the Tomei catless UEL / stock Overpipe & mid pipe, Nvidia N1. Yes I know its like sitting in the last row of an old Boeing 727 and the cabin noise / buzzing just fills your ears and is unbearable. Yes when I drive this car home after picking it up I wanted to put earplugs in, and the highway was the worst. So I’d constantly change gears and vary engine speed. I’d open both windows - that reduced it 10%. Now, like I said, the rattle in my passenger door is way more annoying. I can keep a constant speed in any gear, no drone. Like I said between 3300-3800 rpm there is some drone but even then it is 50% of what it was, and only in that narrow rpm band, and if I am decelerating- nothing. I told my son not to look at the tach and tell me when there is anything remotely sounding like drone- that’s how we got that range. It’s a miracle really. I was ready to get an exhaust shop to weld in a j-pipe or helmholtz, or try Dynomat above the spare, but now - not a priority / who cares, many others mods are a higher priority. This is the best $73 USD / $91 CAD I’ve ever spent in my life. The blue hangers look really cool and I am 1 step closer to being track-ready. Shoutout to Sean Yuck, owner of subieland.ca for getting the Cumo hangers to me in 2 days at a great price (while my other order at FT86 won’t be coming in for 3 weeks).
Pic below, I love the blue!

Those are the Cusco ones correct? They work as well? I got the Nengen Subaru Genuine hangers from Japan I believe they are black but it seems even the Cusco ones work which is great because there is a bigger supply of those. I was playing on switching my catback and thus have been on my long journey of looking at different catbacks. Hopefully this does work at least to some degree I’ll be fine with it then my Tomei headers won’t be a complete bust for being too loud. When I think of the drone it just makes me think I could’ve gotten a better catback or quieter headers like the jdl ones.
YSoAggressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #168
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Ordered a set of 5 the other day via nengun.
I'll be pairing these with a TRD catback that I'm picking up off somebody locally.

Currently on stock exhaust with gruppe-s header and overpipe.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote