follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #43
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceLane174 View Post
The limited definitely has the blind spot detector and the cross traffic detector for when backing up. It doesn't have the lane assist and adaptive cruise control unless it is an automatic since that would be difficult to do. They are working on having that work on a manual in the future.

I have pre-collision detection, lane keep, and adaptive cruise on my Corolla Hatchback XSE manual. So it’s possible with TSS. I guess Toyota didn’t want to share that with Subaru?! I’m also guessing Subaru’s Eyesight works a little differently than TSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #44
LanceLane174

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WRB, MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I have pre-collision detection, lane keep, and adaptive cruise on my Corolla Hatchback XSE manual. So it’s possible with TSS. I guess Toyota didn’t want to share that with Subaru?! I’m also guessing Subaru’s Eyesight works a little differently than TSS.

It isn't a matter of Toyota sharing it with them. This is using Subarus tech so they need to get that to work on a manual with their tech.

Subaru has been the leader in electronic safety tech, so I am guessing they aren't happy with how it works on a manual.
LanceLane174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #45
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceLane174 View Post
It isn't a matter of Toyota sharing it with them. This is using Subarus tech so they need to get that to work on a manual with their tech.

Subaru has been the leader in electronic safety tech, so I am guessing they aren't happy with how it works on a manual.

Well it sort of is about sharing. Like Toyota adding the D4S injection system. With safety tech and software it’s probably a little different and more closely guarded. Subaru is a safety leader for sure, and so is Toyota. The twins have always been much more “Subaru” than “Toyota” though. And Toyota can’t just slap Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 in there.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #46
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Well it sort of is about sharing. Like Toyota adding the D4S injection system. With safety tech and software it’s probably a little different and more closely guarded. Subaru is a safety leader for sure, and so is Toyota. The twins have always been much more “Subaru” than “Toyota” though. And Toyota can’t just slap Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 in there.

Well, the issue just is this. Also, Subaru develops these cars basically by themselves from my understanding, so it would make sense it follows their lineup's safety equipment which doesn't provide eyesight for any of their other manual cars.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:15 AM   #47
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona61 View Post
Well, the issue just is this. Also, Subaru develops these cars basically by themselves from my understanding, so it would make sense it follows their lineup's safety equipment which doesn't provide eyesight for any of their other manual cars.

Agreed, the majority of the work has been done by Subaru. It’s my favorite car partnership because you have the vision and deep pockets of Toyota, and the quirky and full of character Subaru development. I love both but I’m most likely going with the BRZ for the second gen. I’m ok with not having all of their safety features on a manual BRZ, it still has some very important safety tech. These cars are all about driving fun and engagement, not tech.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #48
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Agreed, the majority of the work has been done by Subaru. It’s my favorite car partnership because you have the vision and deep pockets of Toyota, and the quirky and full of character Subaru development. I love both but I’m most likely going with the BRZ for the second gen. I’m ok with not having all of their safety features on a manual BRZ, it still has some very important safety tech. These cars are all about driving fun and engagement, not tech.

IMO, the only safety tech I've always wished to have is blind spot detection. That's it. The rest is extra/bonus/possibly annoying. But when it comes to safety, trying to see my blind spot on the left has been pretty difficult in some rare situations, and I have been honked at in the past. Never had this problem with any other car in the past. This car is just too tiny and "tight" so having that is a big plus for me.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #49
LanceLane174

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WRB, MT
Every now and then I drive a car at work that doesn't have Blindspot and I have to admit it is annoying not having it.

I also really like the cross traffic detection when backing out of a parking space or my driveway. It's the little things in life. Ha. Those are the reasons I went with the Limited. The 18 inch wheels, better tires and heated seats are just bonuses. I got a great deal that they may not have given me on a Premium anyway.
LanceLane174 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LanceLane174 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-23-2021), JesseG (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #50
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
IMO, the only safety tech I've always wished to have is blind spot detection. That's it. The rest is extra/bonus/possibly annoying. But when it comes to safety, trying to see my blind spot on the left has been pretty difficult in some rare situations, and I have been honked at in the past. Never had this problem with any other car in the past. This car is just too tiny and "tight" so having that is a big plus for me.

I noticed that with my FR-S, even though it has good visibility for such a small and flat car, the left side blind spot especially you have to be careful about. BSM would be very helpful.

I’m not a big fan of lane keep assist or collision detection. Luckily with Toyota’s system you can dial back the sensitivity or turn it off altogether. I’ve noticed that with pre collision detection I’m already preparing for what to do before the car starts beeping at me. I think it could be helpful in an extreme situation where the car can start to brake faster than a person could. Either way, I’m completely ok with the twins not being inundated with safety tech.

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #51
AFBDA

Drives: 10th Anniversary SE MT
Are the optional aero parts (rear diffuser, under spoiler (front/rear/side), vortex generator) purely aesthetic or do they actually make a meaningful difference to this car?
AFBDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #52
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
aesthetic (and not a good one imo)
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #53
wheelspeed
Large Member

Drives: Ford Flex, ZX9R, FLHTCUi, DRZ400S
I'm a little P-O'd that Pre-collision detection and lane-keep on manuals aren't at least offered as an audible alarm that goes off if it detects something. And that we can't select this option if we want. As someone who definitely can fall asleep while driving (even during a sunny afternoon), I would love to be able to pay for that option. I haven't had an accident yet from fighting sleep but I'd like to have a safety feature to help avoid that.
EDIT- Why the hell is Lane-keep only with automatics? There's no good answer to defend that.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #54
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
As someone who definitely can fall asleep while driving
How do you have a drivers license?
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racingfool For This Useful Post:
Pete (09-24-2021), Sport-Tech (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #55
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspeed View Post
I'm a little P-O'd that Pre-collision detection and lane-keep on manuals aren't at least offered as an audible alarm that goes off if it detects something. And that we can't select this option if we want. As someone who definitely can fall asleep while driving (even during a sunny afternoon), I would love to be able to pay for that option. I haven't had an accident yet from fighting sleep but I'd like to have a safety feature to help avoid that.
EDIT- Why the hell is Lane-keep only with automatics? There's no good answer to defend that.
Sure there is. All of the safety functions that you mentioned you'd prefer on the manual are all part of the EyeSight system which uses stereoscopic cameras attached to the ceiling to see what's going on out front. Subaru's safety systems don't use radar/sonar/laser like some other brands do. And EyeSight isn't on manual transmissions because emergency braking and manual transmissions won't work. Can't have the car stall out from emergency braking. Lane Keep Assist is also through the cameras.

It would add quite a bit of cost to the manual transmissions to add "EyeSight lite" with some of the creature comforts but not the safety features. And I can't imagine Subaru would want to put a neutered version of their highly-rated EyeSight into a car.

Realistically what I think you'd like to see as an option is the Subaru Driver Focus system, which has an internal system watching the driver and sounding audible alarms if it detects distraction or drowsiness. It's available on higher trim levels in some of the SUVs, but hasn't made its way to the sports cars yet.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote