follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 08-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #337
used2likeit

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Daily Driver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got off the phone with CAMVAP. They have confirmed that this model year is not eligible for their program. In fact they are saying that the eligibility range for model years is shrinking (model year + 4 years now).

The lady on the phone suggested going to small claims court, but before that she suggested giving a try to contact Pat Foran (http://www.patforan.com/), to further pressure them like that Toronto Star story. I will submit my story to him, and suggest any other affected Canadians to do the same.

Perhaps I'll send a few more e-mails to Toyota Canada as well. If nothing comes of that, small claims court it is.
used2likeit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to used2likeit For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-13-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #338
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
Last night on the highway I heard a dreaded knocking rattling and some whistling sort of noises, like a bird was dying underneath my hood. Pulled over, called the tow. Started it and it would still turn but it had almost no power at all so I couldn't make it off the highway. Towed it home, realized my fuel was low so I thought, maaaaaybe. Put some gas in and it would run and it seemed like it would go but still super roughly. Made it to the end of my families neighborhood and it died and wouldn't go with litterrallllyy any power at all. So now we're chilling in Orlando, when the repair work was done in Tampa. They're gonna find out tomorrow what they wanna do if they want it towed back to Tampa or if it should be taken to a dealer in Orlando.
What do y'all think? It has to be the issue from the recall right? And should I even let them touch my car again?
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #339
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrz91 View Post
Last night on the highway I heard a dreaded knocking rattling and some whistling sort of noises, like a bird was dying underneath my hood. Pulled over, called the tow. Started it and it would still turn but it had almost no power at all so I couldn't make it off the highway. Towed it home, realized my fuel was low so I thought, maaaaaybe. Put some gas in and it would run and it seemed like it would go but still super roughly. Made it to the end of my families neighborhood and it died and wouldn't go with litterrallllyy any power at all. So now we're chilling in Orlando, when the repair work was done in Tampa. They're gonna find out tomorrow what they wanna do if they want it towed back to Tampa or if it should be taken to a dealer in Orlando.
What do y'all think? It has to be the issue from the recall right? And should I even let them touch my car again?
How many miles driven after the recall work was done?

It may be related to the recall work.

Welp, as far as fixing it, someone most likely is going to have to do it -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #340
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm sorry for the issues my dude , such a heart break to say the very god damn least .(ಥ﹏ಥ) .
Do a lil research , see which dealer perhaps has a record of A) doing the recall, b) have done the recall, had cars fail, and were willing to fix it for free for the customer, vs telling the customer to kick rocks like many sad cases .
From there cross your fingers and hope they fix this . It def sounds like a recall failure . Good luck and keep us posted .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #341
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
How many miles driven after the recall work was done?

It may be related to the recall work.

Welp, as far as fixing it, someone most likely is going to have to do it -

humfrz

1400 or so miles I think. I'd go out to the car to check but it makes me want to cry. And for the fixing I'm just worried if I should even trust them. Normally don't go to the dealership for work ever
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfrz91 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-11-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #342
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
I'm sorry for the issues my dude , such a heart break to say the very god damn least .(ಥ﹏ಥ) .
Do a lil research , see which dealer perhaps has a record of A) doing the recall, b) have done the recall, had cars fail, and were willing to fix it for free for the customer, vs telling the customer to kick rocks like many sad cases .
From there cross your fingers and hope they fix this . It def sounds like a recall failure . Good luck and keep us posted .

How would I even find that info? I didn't know that was a thing or I would've looked at that before taking it in. Are you saying just scour the forums specifically for Tampa, or is there another way? I'm glad it sounds like a recall failure, because that I can try to fight tooth and nail with.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #343
humfrz

Quote:
1400 or so miles I think. I'd go out to the car to check but it makes me want to cry. And for the fixing I'm just worried if I should even trust them. Normally don't go to the dealership for work ever
Well, if you want the work done under their warranty (hopefully), you don't have much of a choice except to take it back to a dealer.

humfrz
Old 08-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #344
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, if you want the work done under their warranty (hopefully), you don't have much of a choice except to take it back to a dealer.

humfrz
I don't have a problem with *a* dealer, I mean moreso going back to the *same* dealer.
Would I have to? Should I? Sorry for all the possibly obvious questions
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #345
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
jesus. How many people have actually had the valve spring fail? it almost seems smarter to skip this recall?

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ingen For This Useful Post:
alan.chalkley (08-12-2019), Alfrz91 (08-12-2019), fang_gt86 (08-12-2019), Icecreamtruk (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #346
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
jesus. How many people have actually had the valve spring fail? it almost seems smarter to skip this recall?
That's my stance.

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
alan.chalkley (08-12-2019), Alfrz91 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #347
humfrz

Quote:
I don't have a problem with *a* dealer, I mean moreso going back to the *same* dealer.
Would I have to? Should I? Sorry for all the possibly obvious questions
Well, I reckon that would depend on the dealers and maybe the manufacture. You could see if the original dealer or another dealer would honor the warranty work and then decide.

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Alfrz91 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #348
Alfrz91

Vehicle Mileage: 91000
Vehicle Make: 2013 FRS
Mileage After Recall Performed: Between 700-1200, couldn't say for sure right now
Symptom(s): Car sounding like a huge bird was dying underneath the hood, loud knocking and rattling. Nearly complete loss of power, loud squeaking. Eventual complete loss of power even when it's floored, unable to move car.
Failure: Knew of car possibly having issues with recall so pulled over on highway at first sign of issue.
State: Florida
Is Dealership Offering Repair: This happened on a Saturday night and the service advisor that was in on Sunday felt he was not qualified to authorize a long distance tow.(I was fine with, and even maybe prefer towing it to a closer dealership, just concerned with them repairing it overall at no cost to me). It's currently 9:30am on a Monday so I should be speaking with someone soon.

Edit: to add, Does it take long for them to drop the oil pan? Assuming the issue was from the recall (selant or otherwise) will there 100% be pieces in the oil pan?

Last edited by Alfrz91; 08-12-2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 08-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #349
Wraith86

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Stock Scion FR-S
Garage
Vehicle Mileage:
105,543 Km

Vehicle Make:
Scion FR-S

Mileage After Recall Performed:
~9000 Km

Symptom(s):
Ticking, knocking.

Failure:
Crankshaft rod bearing knock (Tech diagnosed by listening, haven't gotten engine opened yet)

Province:
Ontario

Dealership Offering Repair:
They're currently suggesting to replace the short block for ~6000$. Other than that, they've also suggested going to a Subaru garage to get a more precise diagnosis, as they do not feel comfortable opening the engine. Currently, no other offers have been thrown my way.
Wraith86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #350
NannerpussPRO

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I have a 2013 Scion FRS. That I bought new and have owned since 2012– problem free. I generally stay off the forums.

I completed the service recall in mid May. Didn’t think much about it at the time.

Roughly one month after the recall I experienced a check engine light. Brought it in and the dealer told me it was nothing to be alarmed about, cleared the code and sent me on my way. As the car was behaving normally I accepted this.

Roughly one month later the engine light came back accompanied by a rough idle. Took the car back and they charged me $500 to replace the fuel / air sensor. Car worked fine besides an issue the very next morning where I experienced a lack of throttle while trying to accelerate out of a corner. No other issues so I dismissed it.

Now, one month later, the rough idle is back and my check engine light popped on about an hour ago.

It’s at this point I decide to google and see if anyone else is having problems and.... oh good god what have I done.

So, before I start digging into this thread does anyone care to just give me the cliff notes version of this? How fucked am I? I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the dealer and I’m anxious as hell.

NannerpussPRO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring