follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #43
elbles

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had a 2010 GTI before the BRZ, and put ~55,000 miles on it in 3 years (it was a lease, in no small part because of concerns about VW reliability).

In the time I had it, I had 3 or 4 CELs (for incorrect purge flow--cleared the code each time, and it was fine). VW also had a problem with the slave cylinders in those cars, where they'd start leaking, and cause a horrific screech during clutch engagement at times. They brilliantly put the slave cylinder inside of the transmission, so it was a bitch to replace. Mine was affected by that, but I didn't get around to having it fixed prior to the lease ending.

The Mk6 also chewed through rear brake pads like no other. I never quite figured out why (I'd guess the XDS system), but I had to do those every 20,000 miles or so.

Otherwise, it was an excellent car. Very nice inside (I compared it to a BMW prior to getting it, and still think it's way nicer than a 1-series or 3-series inside), best stock stereo I've ever heard (Dynaudio at the time--not sure what it is now), very spacious, as you might imagine, etc.

I was tempted to buy it at lease end, but couldn't justify it, especially with that slave cylinder issue. It's all anecdotal, of course, but mine seemed to be exactly what you'd expect for a VW. For what it's worth, I'd still consider another (and will look at the Mk7 when it comes out).
elbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to elbles For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #44
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780 View Post
Her parents are open to different cars and reliability is a factor in this decision. Thus, I made this thread asking for feedback and opinions on the GTI as I have never owned a VW and don't know much about them.
Looking at JD Power's IQS will be a better way of gauging quality/reliability than asking people for their opinions (esp on an FT86 forum). JD Power rated the GTI as a top-10 hatchback in terms of initial quality (4/5):

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/buy...al-quality.htm

In terms of predicted reliability, they gave it a 2/5:

http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Vo...back/index.htm

To give you some perspective, they rated the FR-S as a 2/5 for initial quality, and 3/5 for predicted reliability.

http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Sc...oupe/index.htm

If you want to do more in-depth research on the GTI, I'd suggest searching this site:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #45
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Looking at JD Power's IQS will be a better way of gauging quality/reliability than asking people for their opinions (esp on an FT86 forum). JD Power rated the GTI as a top-10 hatchback in terms of initial quality (4/5):

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/buy...al-quality.htm

In terms of predicted reliability, they gave it a 2/5:

http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Vo...back/index.htm

To give you some perspective, they rated the FR-S as a 2/5 for initial quality, and 3/5 for predicted reliability.

http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Sc...oupe/index.htm

If you want to do more in-depth research on the GTI, I'd suggest searching this site:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Thanks for the links bud. I've sifted through multiple Golf forums like the one you listed. I didn't bother posting there obviously because it would mostly be fanboys. Just like the 86 vs ...... threads on this site. I figured I could get a less biased review from people here as many of you own both cars or have at least had the Golf platforms for more than a day.

After this thread, I have to say I have been looking much more into the TDI version of the Golf. I haven't heard a bad thing about the diesels yet.

Last edited by Bg8780; 06-07-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Bg8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #46
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I had an 06 6spd Gti for about 4 years during its 39-96k mile period. Drove it reasonably hard, not beating on it but never babying either. Had ZERO mechanical problems, ever. I loved that car. I sold it and bought the frs bc I wanted rwd, but aside from that I bet the Gti will go down as one of my favorite cars I ever owned. Maybe I lucked out, but my wife's EOS shares lots of the important bits and has been perfect for 65k miles so far as well.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 PM   #47
Bg8780

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
I had an 06 6spd Gti for about 4 years during its 39-96k mile period. Drove it reasonably hard, not beating on it but never babying either. Had ZERO mechanical problems, ever. I loved that car. I sold it and bought the frs bc I wanted rwd, but aside from that I bet the Gti will go down as one of my favorite cars I ever owned. Maybe I lucked out, but my wife's EOS shares lots of the important bits and has been perfect for 65k miles so far as well.
Thanks Cat!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bg8780 For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (06-08-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #48
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
And he's dating a girl in high school?

Being in the military doesn't make him any less of a douche.
so true. i always feel like sometimes most military service member think that they are higher then other people for whatever reason. i just laugh inside because after that uniform is off, they are civilian.
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blackhawkdown For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 AM   #49
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I currently have a 2007 MKV GTI that I've owned for about 4 years now. I bought it with 43k and I'm about to hit 111k. Honestly, if I wasn't infatuated with the 86 platform and wanting 3 pedals / RWD again, I would keep my GTI forever.

I previously had a 2008 G35 Sedan w/ the VQ35HR engine (which sounds great), but I still prefer the GTI over that car since it never got more than 20mpg. Also that car felt big akin to the Mazda 6 your GF test drove. And believe it or not, the full size Infiniti was less practical than the GTI's hot hatch design. (I've managed to stuff a queen size bed frame from IKEA into the GTI and my GF was in shock I could do it. )

The GTI is basically a swiss army knife. It did everything well, but wasn't a star in any particular category. Sure it had its hiccups and CELs on occasion, but it was never a difficult nor expensive to repair (I did some of the work myself, but i know DIY limits). Right now my GTI is running solid without a CEL or hiccup for nearly 20k miles. It has also never left me stranded.

Here's a breakdown of costs for my car since owning it:
--- Out of Warranty Costs ---
@60k PCV valve broke - $60 Aftermarket item fixed it.
@85k Engine misfires - $110 OEM spark plugs and Audi R8 coilpacks fixed it.
@95k N80 valve seized - $20 OEM replacement
@100k Leaking Valve cover gasket + Ripped CV boot - $380 including labor

--- Routine Service ---
Every 5k - Oil change @ dealer - $50-65
Every 20k - Air filter @ myself - $20
Every 40k - DSG service @ dealer - $220 (shopped around for cheapest dealer)
Every 60k - New spark plugs @ myself - $35
Every 100-120k - Timing belt + water pump @ vw/audi shop - $895
I replaced my rear brake pads at 90K for $62, and my fronts were still good so maybe the newer VW's XDS systems wear the brakes faster.

The new MK7 will be a departure from the MKV / MK6 (which is basically a facelifted MKV), so the jury is still out on the reliability front, but if the engine is anything like the TSI in the MKV 2008.5+ and MK6, it should be solid. VW's before the MKV platform were known to be horrible in the reliability department -- I wouldn't use those generations to predict current / future reliability.

If she is buying new. I wouldn't worry till the end of the warranty. Btw, German cars love being on schedule with their maintenance. So make sure she's the type to not ignore the intervals.

Also, if she finds her car slow, they really wake up with a $600 ECU flash. I drove to APR's headquarters, a guy hooks a computer to my car, and 1/2 hour later I'm pushing 250hp / 300tq. Launch control never works now, I just sit there spinning my tires and leaving marks lol

Sorry for the long read lol
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 03:17 AM   #50
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Mk7 Golf with the 1.8T seems like the better car.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #51
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the links bud. I've sifted through multiple Golf forums like the one you listed. I didn't bother posting there obviously because it would mostly be fanboys. Just like the 86 vs ...... threads on this site. I figured I could get a less biased review from people here as many of you own both cars or have at least had the Golf platforms for more than a day.

After this thread, I have to say I have been looking much more into the TDI version of the Golf. I haven't heard a bad thing about the diesels yet.
The Golf TDI seems like a solid choice as well, but I noticed during my time on the mk6 golf forums that there seemed to be a good amount of owners wishing they had gone with the GTI. But assuming your girl is a non-enthusiast, that issue might not come up.

Another issue to consider is the DSG transmission feels much different on the TDI than the GTI, from what I've heard. Definitely worth having her test-drive both and seeing which she liked better. The low-end torque on the TDI is supposed to be quite fun (although a simple stage 1 tune on the GTI will match it, plus the benefit of its top end).

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #52
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
And this is how threads around here go to shit. Every. Damn. Time.

They're not car people so thinking of any other car besides a camry or civic is crazy to them. She really likes the GTI after I brought it to her attention. So I decided to post here to see if anyone has had experience or owned one. Started out well. Thanks for not contributing to thread at all Orbital.
You would find MUCH more useful information with a simple google search than by creating this thread. It boggles my mind when people ask for opinions, and then get frustrated when they get opinions.

Quote:
Thanks to the earlier posts that made this into an actual discussion. If anyone has any info on what the TDI is like to drive with the DSG then please PM me. I'd appreciate the information.
You're joking right? Why are you asking for opinions on the internet about how a car drives on instead of just doing the only LOGICAL thing which would be going to a dealership to test drive one???

On topic, the GTI is a great car. VW is a bit hit or miss with reliability. Does your gf really want/need a GTI? How comfortable of a drive does she want? Is she prepared to need premium gas at all times? Are her parents happy to spend an extra ~$5k for a performance model? Will she actually push the car at all, or just considering a GTI because it's the "cool" model?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #53
Bg8780

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You would find MUCH more useful information with a simple google search than by creating this thread. It boggles my mind when people ask for opinions, and then get frustrated when they get opinions.
First drive videos are just not surfacing for the MK7 so that wasn't an option when I made this thread. I was frustrated with the numerous posting talking about pictures of my girlfriend, the car being a "fashion accessory", not being grateful for a free car, military members being douchebags.

Find one post where I bashed somebody for their opinion of the ACTUAL FUCKING CAR. I welcomed all experiences with the car, I have not driven the MK7 so I was looking here to fellow car enthusiasts to see what their opinion of the vehicle was. All information was greatly appreciated and I received numerous PM's with information of the new and old platform.

Quote:
You're joking right? Why are you asking for opinions on the internet about how a car drives on instead of just doing the only LOGICAL thing which would be going to a dealership to test drive one???
Totally joking. Who the in the bushy eyed fuck would go on the internet to research a product they would potentially buy?! It's not like there is an industry based on product reviews. THAT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY INSANE!

I am not in the country so test driving the car is NOT an option at the moment. We plan on test driving a few vehicles. I just figured I had an entire forum of car enthusiasts at my disposal so why not ask them what they think of the GTI. I did not want to post in the GTI forums because they would obviously have a bias towards the GTI.

Quote:
On topic, the GTI is a great car. VW is a bit hit or miss with reliability. Does your gf really want/need a GTI? How comfortable of a drive does she want? Is she prepared to need premium gas at all times? Are her parents happy to spend an extra ~$5k for a performance model? Will she actually push the car at all, or just considering a GTI because it's the "cool" model?
^This. Was this so hard for all of you? To just post pertinent information regarding the topic vehicle. Instead there are posts about me apparently being a high school student, but that was wrong. So instead I'm a douchebag pedophile in the military dating a highschool student. Oh wait, scratch that couldn't read, it said grad school not grade school. Ok, well OP is still a douche cuz military and thinks he's better than everyone else. Also, girlfriend is just a stupid **** woman and belongs in the kitchen. All girls just want cars as fashion accessories.

Now lets just make this thread about bashing OP because he's responding to our trolling and hate slinging. OP is a stupid douche anyway. Rock on FT86club, rock on
Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #54
AtlasMick

Drives: FR-S 2013 Asphalt
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My brother has a GTI. It's badass and you will have just as much fun driving it. If I hadn't bought an FRS it would've been a GTI. It's also very easy to drive and is a much more sensible DD. Absolutely go with the GTI for her, she obviously has great sense if that's the car she wants.
AtlasMick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlasMick For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #55
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
First drive videos are just not surfacing for the MK7 so that wasn't an option when I made this thread.
It doesn't matter what people say online, you NEED to test drive any car yourself to see if it's a good fit. If you just trust opinions online you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Quote:
I was frustrated with the numerous posting talking about pictures of my girlfriend, the car being a "fashion accessory", not being grateful for a free car, military members being douchebags.

Find one post where I bashed somebody for their opinion of the ACTUAL FUCKING CAR. I welcomed all experiences with the car, I have not driven the MK7 so I was looking here to fellow car enthusiasts to see what their opinion of the vehicle was. All information was greatly appreciated and I received numerous PM's with information of the new and old platform.

Totally joking. Who the in the bushy eyed fuck would go on the internet to research a product they would potentially buy?! It's not like there is an industry based on product reviews. THAT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY INSANE!

I am not in the country so test driving the car is NOT an option at the moment. We plan on test driving a few vehicles. I just figured I had an entire forum of car enthusiasts at my disposal so why not ask them what they think of the GTI. I did not want to post in the GTI forums because they would obviously have a bias towards the GTI.

^This. Was this so hard for all of you? To just post pertinent information regarding the topic vehicle. Instead there are posts about me apparently being a high school student, but that was wrong. So instead I'm a douchebag pedophile in the military dating a highschool student. Oh wait, scratch that couldn't read, it said grad school not grade school. Ok, well OP is still a douche cuz military and thinks he's better than everyone else. Also, girlfriend is just a stupid **** woman and belongs in the kitchen. All girls just want cars as fashion accessories.

Now lets just make this thread about bashing OP because he's responding to our trolling and hate slinging. OP is a stupid douche anyway. Rock on FT86club, rock on
I was going to bite my tongue on this one, but after your wonderful reply I changed my mind.

Quote:
For the times we have to take her car for whatever reason I'm not stuck driving a Camry. I've mentioned the Focus ST and WRX but she really doesn't like either of those.
Why on earth are you trying to sway what car she gets so that YOU will like it more when you guys take her car somewhere? Let her get a car that SHE likes for everyday use, and just suck it up when you're in her car. My wife has a Camry, and it has been 100% flawless. Yes it's boring, but it's not my car and she likes it. If I don't feel like driving the Camry we take my car, or she drives her car.

There is zero point in convincing her to get something because it's more fun for you that she won't like on a daily basis.

Let her go test drive some cars that she likes and make her own decision. Obviously help out if she tries to buy something that is guaranteed to be a lemon, but let her make her own choices based on what she wants and likes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-08-2014), chrisl (06-09-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #56
Bg8780

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
It doesn't matter what people say online, you NEED to test drive any car yourself to see if it's a good fit. If you just trust opinions online you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I was going to bite my tongue on this one, but after your wonderful reply I changed my mind.

Why on earth are you trying to sway what car she gets so that YOU will like it more when you guys take her car somewhere? Let her get a car that SHE likes for everyday use, and just suck it up when you're in her car. My wife has a Camry, and it has been 100% flawless. Yes it's boring, but it's not my car and she likes it. If I don't feel like driving the Camry we take my car, or she drives her car.

There is zero point in convincing her to get something because it's more fun for you that she won't like on a daily basis.

Let her go test drive some cars that she likes and make her own decision. Obviously help out if she tries to buy something that is guaranteed to be a lemon, but let her make her own choices based on what she wants and likes.
Yeah, you're right.