follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #281
Mars2

Drives: GT86, AUDI RS2, VW T5 R32 Vortech
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
I dont think the Non intercooled version would be an option for those of us in PHX, or would it? I'm structly lookin for SC solution, no interest in Turbos here

1-can you by chance provide a picture of the intercooler for your stage two setup?
2-whose tuning solution comes packaged at the stage 1 price of $3495?
3-what type of parts(and labor) warranty come with either kit?

I'm asking cause I'm pretty committed to another vendor's setup, but your stage 2 kit DOES, admittedly, have my attention and curiosity. Wanting to have my facts in order before busting out a credit card and then finding out facts about other systems etc. Your pricing seems great
read and look better and it will answer your two first question.

1 if you look carefully at the Intake manifold you can see that it's ready to get two hose plug in that make me think that their is a Air/water intercooler core in that plenum. It's the only place a intercooler could be located on a twin screw setup.

2 it say's come with ecutek tuning and on an other place say tuner kit avaialable both kit available without tuning so in my understanding the price is with ecutek tuning.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #282
Danzzt231

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I want this.

And how loud is the whinning noise? Coz I want it loud~!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #283
pixel67

Drives: 13 Asphalt FRS AT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Very cool! So here is a stupid question that shows my ignorance regarding superchargers... I see the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 is about $1200 and that it represents new injectors, intercooler, tuning, etc... Can the stage 1 kit be easily upgraded to a stage 2 kit without complete removal and reassembly? What is involved in this and what is the price of the upgrade kit?

For those budget minded people that aren't tracking their car (ahem, me) this seems like a great path to take that lets you get into FI, test out the drivability, and see if the base gains meet your expectations.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #284
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars2 View Post
r
1 if you look carefully at the Intake manifold you can see that it's ready to get two hose plug in that make me think that their is a Air/water intercooler core in that plenum. It's the only place a intercooler could be located on a twin screw setup.
No I dont see two hose plugs/any intercooling air to air anywhere in the pics. Please explain the intercooling.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #285
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
No I dont see two hose plugs/any intercooling air to air anywhere in the pics. Please explain the intercooling.

There is a water cooled heat exchanger in the plenum below the supercharger which the air will pass through before it enters the intake runners. In the pictures above there is an open port on the front of the plenum in the intake manifold. This is likely where the water will enter or exit. The opposite port is probably on the rear of the manifold. There is a finned heat exchanger and pump which will be required for this system too. The other heat exchanger will mount to the front of the vehicle probably in front of the radiator in the bumper. The pump is likely electric.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #286
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
okay I see it now. I didnt realize that it was water to air. That takes this off my list easily.

why? Ait to air is what I prefer for heavy duty use. Its whats on my other two turbo cars.

Pro’s of a water cooled intercooler system

1. Really good efficiency, so the size of the intercooler can be smaller.

2. Efficiency can be exaggerated by using ice, or other chemicals to produce normally un-realistic temperatures for short amounts of time.

3. Can be mounted anywhere along the charge piping route.

Con’s

1. Requires a lot of other accessories to work right.

2. Because it is more complex, it naturally causes more opportunity for problems, like leaks.

3. Can become heat soaked when used for long periods of hard driving and become terribly in-efficient and stop working completely.

Something that sized can be had for much less than an air to air that covers the whole front grille

Thats not to say air to air doesnt have its give an take either:
Pro’s

1. Requires no power to work and therefore is easy to set up.

2. Requires no liquids to work and therefore no chances for leaks .

3. Doesn’t suffer from heat-soak as long as the intercooler is seeing good airflow.

Con’s

1. Efficiency is only as good as the ambient air temperature.

2. Efficiency is only as good as the amount of airflow the intercooler see’s.

3. Cannot be mounted anywhere, since it must be mounted in a location to see airflow.

dont take my word for it, read where I got this from here, the conclusion is at the bottom of the page of the article linked below, you can form your own decisions, price to performance choices can be critical with these components. This is a nice kit, prolly fine for DD in northern latitudes. Just not for me where I drive it hard when its triple digits outside. Thanks for letting me learn about it.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...tercooler.html

Attached Images

Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #287
benster

Drives: none yet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A2W is also a lot easier on piping routing and actually lets you run less boost to get the same numbers as an A2A would. i do see your point being in very hot weather though.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #288
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benster View Post
A2W is also a lot easier on piping routing and actually lets you run less boost to get the same numbers as an A2A would. i do see your point being in very hot weather though.
You trade that piping for water hoses and water reservoir and water pump + wiring. In terms of complexity,hassel, and reliability it is worse than A-A. I did it once on my MR2 turbo and will never again do it.

That being said, there is no other option for a Roots style SC.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #289
RedRocket

Drives: Firestorm Red FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm not exactly a car pro but just copying one other persons opinion doesn't make it true.

I've read lots of articles where I disagree.

Most people agree water cooled Computers aren't the BEST way to go. It's costlier, it's complex, risk of leaks, basically everything you said about air/water intercooling; however it's more efficient. All my computers are watercooled. It's a better cooling system.

It's not for everyone. It happens it fit how I use the car quite nicely. As regulates to heat soak, that can happen when there isn't a properly sized heat exchanger. Or people race for hours on end, but people that race like this are few
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #290
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
It actually says an ECUTEK calibration. A cal is just the tune... you'll have to buy or borrow a cable I'm sure.
Both versions of the complete kits include the physical ECUTEK cable and re-flash. You will not need to borrow or purchase a cable on your own. The "tuner" version of the kits however will not include the cable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mines13 For This Useful Post:
djdnz (11-06-2012), ill86 (11-07-2012), Jeff86 (11-06-2012), Sportsguy83 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #291
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
Both versions of the complete kits include the physical ECUTEK cable and re-flash. You will not need to borrow or purchase a cable on your own. The "tuner" version of the kits however will not include the cable.
That makes this kit very interesting to me.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #292
Innovate Motorsports

Drives: Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Supercharged
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
You will be able to upgrade a base non intercooled kit to the intercooled version at a later date. The manifold is setup to accept a drop in sealed core with little more then basic hand tools. The upgrade package would include the drop in air/water core, hoses, fittings, BOSCH OEM grade electric water pump (Similar to the units used in Mercedes Benz AMG and Ford SVT products.) and the required wiring kit. These components will also be included with the intercooled kit by default.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innovate Motorsports For This Useful Post:
ABQautoxer (11-06-2012), djdnz (11-06-2012), ill86 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #293
Innovate Motorsports

Drives: Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Supercharged
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
For packaging and efficiency, air/water is the only option for a positive displacement supercharger system. Chevrolet, Cadillac, Ford, Bugatti, Audi and Mercedes Benz all seem to concur. Another advantage is that with our super efficient Laminova cores, under-stressed OEM grade BOSCH pump and simple hose routing, one can quite easily mount a larger core heat exchanger without having to reengineer complicated and expensively fabricated air/air intercooler piping. With that said, we believe users will be quite content with the intercooled kit's supplied large surface area heat exchanger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innovate Motorsports For This Useful Post:
ABQautoxer (11-06-2012), djdnz (11-06-2012), ill86 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #294
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've used the Laminova cores in A2W setups and they are def top notch. I dont' see any issues with this setup in any climate, and this is coming from someone with a turbo kit and A2A...very nice package!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse@JDLAutodesign For This Useful Post:
ill86 (11-07-2012), mines13 (11-06-2012)

Closed Thread