follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #71
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, where's the rest of the clutch disc? All I see is the splined hub with some torque damper springs loose and some lining torn off the rivets. Where's the spring plate?

There's no way that hub should be detached from the spring plate to which the splined hub is attached and the clutch linings are riveted on.

The pressure plate and flywheel photos would be handy since overheating from slipping is one thing and marking from flying metal bits totally another thing.

If the splined hub separated from the springy metal plate that carries the clutch linings or if a torque damper spring broke and dropped out of the splined hub then the clutch would be destroyed in a very short time.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suberman For This Useful Post:
FastOnFastOff (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #72
FastOnFastOff

Drives: FR-S Asphalt/ CBR 1K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pche View Post
Usually once the bill is paid by the customer, it's hard to get reimbursed.
Yup, I made it clear to them that I wasn't up for a fight and was assuming responsibility. I asked to speak with their techs, however, cuz I wanted to know a clear cause, which they weren't able to provide.
FastOnFastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #73
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOnFastOff View Post
Yup, I made it clear to them that I wasn't up for a fight and was assuming responsibility. I asked to speak with their techs, however, cuz I wanted to know a clear cause, which they weren't able to provide.
If they weren't able to provide a clear cause, you should have fought this to get it fixed under warranty. That's my opinion though..
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #74
FastOnFastOff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
If they weren't able to provide a clear cause, you should have fought this to get it fixed under warranty. That's my opinion though..
If I could just get a couple of you guys to meet me in the OC, then we could stick it to da man (though my service rep was a woman) at Auto Nation Toyota Irvine!!

Then I'll take you guys up to GMR.
The Following User Says Thank You to FastOnFastOff For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #75
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
And why is the metal blued?
That is actually normal heat treating for OEM Subaru clutches (made by Exedy, incidentally)

Quote:
Yet, the flywheel is okay?!

Really?

This is strange. I'm not close to being an expert on these matters, but these photos raise a lot of doubts in my mind. When in doubt, I say one rules in favor of the customer and makes repairs under warranty.

Absent a plausible explanation for how CUSTOMER ABUSE could possibly account for this clutch, it must be rationally concluded that this was the result of mechanical failure uncorrelated with anything the driver may have done. Even the mechanic was, apparently, unable to account for what caused this, what the customer might POSSIBLY have done wrong to account for this damage.

I don't know diddly, but I think the OP has a strong case for full reimbursement here.
I tend to agree, and if a BRZ came into our shop like that, we'd replace it under Subaru's wear item warranty.

I would have liked to see the flywheel and pressure plate, but I remember Honda released a service news article a few years ago about clutch failures caused by high speed downshifting.

"Here’s a typical scenario:
Getting off the freeway, you push in the clutch to coast to a stop at the bottom of the off-ramp. Thinking it’s
a good idea, you drop into 1st gear so you’re ready to take off when the light turns green. But you do it with
the vehicle still moving at a pretty good clip (far faster than you can go in first gear). There’s a big bang or
thunk, and next thing you know . . . you’re calling for a tow truck."

What happens is that the mainshaft is being driven by the wheels (and would destroy your engine if you engaged the clutch, as it's turning 10k RPM plus at this point). The clutch is splined to the mainshaft, but not being held by the pressure plate, so the centrifugal force causes it to just fly apart.

To the OP: Is it possible something like this happened?
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew20195 For This Useful Post:
Porsche (11-24-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #76
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Show those pictures to a Pontiac service guy who worked back in the mid to late 70's and ask him if he's ever seen a clutch like that. When Pontiac came out with the Sunbird with the V6 they had a way too small disc and they came apart very similar to this...........
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #77
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
After reading through this thread I can only conclude that the pressure plate broke up. Since you agreed to accept responsibility they went with the flow and that's why they didn't show you the offending item.

I would demand to see the[your] pressure plate and take lots of pics to post here and keep them honest. Don't give in yet.

Surely it made some noise after the pedal hit the floor? There must have been some bits flying around in the bell housing?

Last edited by sierra; 11-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #78
FastOnFastOff

Oh gheez...in a semi-dramatic turn of events, my wife is really upset over the clutch issue. She is unhappy with the fact that we've been set back close to 5 grand total with the issues that I've managed to conjure up with the FR-S. Now she wants me to get out of the lease and into a different car like a Prius or a Corolla. This is no joke! Sorry to sound like I'm dumping here, but I'm so screwed at this point.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #79
FastOnFastOff

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew20195 View Post

"Here’s a typical scenario:
Getting off the freeway, you push in the clutch to coast to a stop at the bottom of the off-ramp. Thinking it’s
a good idea, you drop into 1st gear so you’re ready to take off when the light turns green. But you do it with
the vehicle still moving at a pretty good clip (far faster than you can go in first gear). There’s a big bang or
thunk, and next thing you know . . . you’re calling for a tow truck."

What happens is that the mainshaft is being driven by the wheels (and would destroy your engine if you engaged the clutch, as it's turning 10k RPM plus at this point). The clutch is splined to the mainshaft, but not being held by the pressure plate, so the centrifugal force causes it to just fly apart.

To the OP: Is it possible something like this happened?
I heard no bang nor rattling. I didn't smell anything either. It was a relatively drama-free incident. As I remember, I was downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Clutch stuck to the ground, instinctively I put it in neutral, then I manage to pull the clutch up with my left foot, after that I could only compress the clutch halfway but unable to shift...then comes the tow truck.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #80
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh gheez...in a semi-dramatic turn of events, my wife is really upset over the clutch issue. She is unhappy with the fact that we've been set back close to 5 grand total with the issues that I've managed to conjure up with the FR-S. Now she wants me to get out of the lease and into a different car like a Prius or a Corolla. This is no joke! Sorry to sound like I'm dumping here, but I'm so screwed at this point.
Now, that's a tough one.....

On one hand you have "a happy wife is a happy life".

On the other hand, although those other cars are fine machines, they may not be as fun to drive.

You may try to convince the wife that it being a leased vehicle, really has nothing to do with its mechanical problems.

Also, you may be able to convince her, that in general, the FR-S/BRZ has shown to be a reliable vehicle and that you just got one with a wonky connection in the drivetrain.

Second to the last resort is to get out of your lease, go over to the next dealership and get a BRZ .... which will only work if your wife is not well automotive read.

The last (but not the worst) resort is to go with the wife's desires. Hey, its just a car and can be traded or sold ..... a good wife is hard to find ..... and can't be traded or sold ....

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 11-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (11-24-2013), FastOnFastOff (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #81
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Wow it is a lease? How can they be making you pay for failing parts on a lease on a new car, and not even attempt to show you it was your fault.

Sounds like standard dealership BS and people just saying OK and footing the bill is what makes the experience a painful disaster for those of us who want reasons for service when we go.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
FastOnFastOff (11-25-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #82
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wow... I've never seen a clutch lining come apart like that..
That doesn't look burnt up to me... But torn apart like it let go..
You should call corporate and deal with some HQ reps on this...
Good luck... I think you should be reimbursed, and the dealer should
Be working with you to get corporate to pay...
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #83
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I heard no bang nor rattling. I didn't smell anything either. It was a relatively drama-free incident. As I remember, I was downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Clutch stuck to the ground, instinctively I put it in neutral, then I manage to pull the clutch up with my left foot, after that I could only compress the clutch halfway but unable to shift...then comes the tow truck.
I think the question is did you ever over rev the clutch, not the engine.

The scenario described is shifting into too low a gear with the clutch pedal on the floor. You realize your mistake before lifting off the clutch pedal and then you select the correct gear. You drive on not realizing you have damaged the clutch plate by over revving it. Then some time later it fails. Sound familiar or never happened? No one else drove the car without you in it?

It is possible to over rev the clutch plate itself and cause it to begin breaking up. Then it fails later under normal use. Not likely but possible.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #84
vhx1

Drives: 06 AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Looks like some eerily similar failure between this car and a post from the tranny grind thread

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=47531&page=5
vhx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vhx1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
exploding clutch