follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Turns out it was a dying battery o_o

Car wouldn't start a week after these codes started. Replaced it and no more codes & LTFT is back to normal.
sounds reasonable if voltages not stable weird stuff is going to happen.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
gonzo (06-15-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #16
J-W

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Turns out it was a dying battery o_o

Car wouldn't start a week after these codes started. Replaced it and no more codes & LTFT is back to normal.
I'm having the same two codes pop up, I'm completely stock aside from a cat-back. I noticed my LTFT is in the high 30s at idle as well. I'm taking her into my buddy's shop tomorrow so he can take a look. My question; Has this problem showed up anymore since you've replaced the battery?
J-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #17
gonzo

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-W View Post
I'm having the same two codes pop up, I'm completely stock aside from a cat-back. I noticed my LTFT is in the high 30s at idle as well. I'm taking her into my buddy's shop tomorrow so he can take a look. My question; Has this problem showed up anymore since you've replaced the battery?

Wow how creepy that you asked. Just a few hours ago popped P0171 for the first time since my original post. Looks like (and sounds) like a leak at the headers. Going to tighten them down and pray I don't need to swap the gasket

Fuel trims are high at idle and engine braking (20%) and the O2 sensor reads super high voltages when engine braking (dunno if that's normal but doubt it). Everything is normal when cruising and accelerating. Also, the car sounds really loud when you're sitting inside. I feel like this is all pointing to an exhaust leak that has been getting worse over time. I think that if the o2 sensor was dirty/bad I'd see high trims while cruising too, right?

I'll let u know what happens.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #18
gonzo

Quote:
What are the trims while cruising and accelerating from low rpms?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
J-W

Quote:
What are the trims while cruising and accelerating from low rpms?
LTFT appears to be between 30% and 40%. From what I can tell, during moderate acceleration, It barely dips. I didn't go WOT, but when I went slightly above 50% throttle, it dropped down around 10%.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #20
J-W

Quote:
Wow how creepy that you asked. Just a few hours ago popped P0171 for the first time since my original post. Looks like (and sounds) like a leak at the headers. Going to tighten them down and pray I don't need to swap the gasket

Fuel trims are high at idle and engine braking (20%) and the O2 sensor reads super high voltages when engine braking (dunno if that's normal but doubt it). Everything is normal when cruising and accelerating. Also, the car sounds really loud when you're sitting inside. I feel like this is all pointing to an exhaust leak that has been getting worse over time. I think that if the o2 sensor was dirty/bad I'd see high trims while cruising too, right?

I'll let u know what happens.
Sorry to hear about that. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole concept. ECU programing has always seemed to confuse me.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #21
steve99
Banned

Quote:
LTFT appears to be between 30% and 40%. From what I can tell, during moderate acceleration, It barely dips. I didn't go WOT, but when I went slightly above 50% throttle, it dropped down around 10%.
if your seeing 30%-40% ltft something is definitly wrong\broken\leaking ect that level of trim is the limit of the ecu ability to try to correct afr imbalance between what the ecu is asking for and what its seeing from the 02 sensor.

get it sorted asap before it causes other issues.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #22
J-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
if your seeing 30%-40% ltft something is definitly wrong\broken\leaking ect that level of trim is the limit of the ecu ability to try to correct afr imbalance between what the ecu is asking for and what its seeing from the 02 sensor.

That is the plan. I've arranged for rides until I can get my car to the dealer.

Someone I've spoken with suggested the fuel I filled up with last week (which isn't my normal fueling station) could be the culprit, or at least exaggerating the problem. In your opinion, how likely is this to be the case?
Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #23
steve99
Banned

Quote:
That is the plan. I've arranged for rides until I can get my car to the dealer.

Someone I've spoken with suggested the fuel I filled up with last week (which isn't my normal fueling station) could be the culprit, or at least exaggerating the problem. In your opinion, how likely is this to be the case?
Bad batch of fuel or low octane fuel usually results in knock and some hesitation as ecu pulls timing to manage knock.

but unless yo fueled up with E85 by mistake you should not see fuel trims ltft of 30% plus
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #24
J-W

Quote:
Bad batch of fuel or low octane fuel usually results in knock and some hesitation as ecu pulls timing to manage knock.

but unless yo fueled up with E85 by mistake you should not see fuel trims ltft of 30% plus
There's definitely hesitation and I'll admit that's it's been some time since I've really listened under the hood carefully, but it does seem louder and almost a muffled type of knocking that didn't sound like anything I've experienced. I know it's not unheard of that a tanker is filled with the wrong product and nobody catches it until after the fact. Lots of variables in that theory and I realize it's a bit of a stretch. Tuesday I'll be dropping the car off at the dealership.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #25
gonzo

Quote:

Steve, around what voltage should the o2 sensor be reading when there's 0% throttle and in gear (engine braking)? Mine is over 4.2v, which doesn't make sense so that's why I'm thinking my headers are leaking now.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #26
gonzo

Quote:
Try putting it in neutral and holding it at 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000 rpm. I read that if your positive fuel trim starts going down closer to 0 then it's a vacuum leak on the intake side. Mine would go down from 20% to about 15% so I figure it's not a leak.

Quote:
Running too lean – High positive fuel corrections can be traced to MAF and O2 sensor faults, vacuum leaks from intake gaskets/hoses, unmetered air (intake snorkel leak), clogged or dirty fuel injectors, fuel delivery issues, and exhaust restrictions such as a clogged catalytic converter.

Diagnostic Tip:

For a suspected vacuum leak, note the fuel trims at idle and increase engine speed to 2500 RPM and hold. If the STFT immediately decreases and moves to acceptable levels and the LTFT slowly starts to come back down, you have a vacuum leak
http://www.easterncatalytic.com/educ...agnostic-tool/
Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #27
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Steve, around what voltage should the o2 sensor be reading when there's 0% throttle and in gear (engine braking)? Mine is over 4.2v, which doesn't make sense so that's why I'm thinking my headers are leaking now.
look at the front O2 sensor scaling in your tune you should be seeing about 0v at idle as this corresponds to afr of 14.7, it may vary around slightly especially on cold start.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #28
steve99
Banned

Quote:
look at the front O2 sensor scaling in your tune you should be seeing about at idle as this corresponds to afr of 14.7, it may vary around slightly especially on cold start.

you be better just looking at the AFR